R. Ashwin

Ravi.

Ashwin is a different sort of bowler in the sense that unlike other spinners who try to keep the runs in fielding restrictions down by firing in balls on leg-stump at 60 mph, he tries to beat them in the air and off the pitch. His speeds are generally around 89-93 kph, unlike other spinners who fire it in at 100 kph.. (The other day, Ajmal fired one in at nearly 110 kph!)

I wouldn't want our selectors to pick anyone on CL/IPL based performance, because we've seen what crap we had to go through when he decided to hand over the national caps to the likes Dindas, Vinay Kumars, YKP et al. If Ashwin is really what you guys claim to be, then let him toil hard in the domestic circuit and then make his way up to the national reckoning.

I wouldn't want our selectors to pick anyone on CL/IPL based performance' date=' because we've seen what crap we had to go through when he decided to hand over the national caps to the likes Dindas, Vinay Kumars, YKP et al. If Ashwin is really what you guys claim to be, then let him toil hard in the domestic circuit and then make his way up to the national reckoning.[/quote'] That would make perfect sense, if IPL and CL T20 were essentially played among 12th graders in a backyard. But we have some of the leading spinners of the world playing in the same tournament as Ashwin is and he is outperforming all their asses and you’re saying ‘No, not good enough.. Needs to perform in FC cricket..’? I thought judge someone based on performance to the contemporaries, no? You do realize that, at one part during last year’s IPL campaign, CSK actually dropped Murali, but kept Ashwin in the team, don’t you? That’s how well he was bowling. Forget that, he was comfortably outperforming his Indian contemporaries as well.

I wouldn't want our selectors to pick anyone on CL/IPL based performance' date=' because we've seen what crap we had to go through when he decided to hand over the national caps to the likes Dindas, Vinay Kumars, YKP et al. If Ashwin is really what you guys claim to be, then let him toil hard in the domestic circuit and then make his way up to the national reckoning.[/quote'] He is a consistent performer in the first class scene and will be worth a try in the ODI team.
Batting average Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 28 41 11 1085 107* 36.16
Bowling average Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ 28 47 6837 3032 103 6/64 11/129 29.43 2.66

That would make perfect sense, if IPL and CL T20 were essentially played among 12th graders in a backyard. But we have some of the leading spinners of the world playing in the same tournament as Ashwin is and he is outperforming all their asses and you’re saying ‘No, not good enough.. Needs to perform in FC cricket..’? I thought judge someone based on performance to the contemporaries, no? You do realize that, at one part during last year’s IPL campaign, CSK actually dropped Murali, but kept Ashwin in the team, don’t you? That’s how well he was bowling. Forget that, he was comfortably outperforming his Indian contemporaries as well.
Dude, I have nothing against Ashwin, but YKP too outperformed SRT in the first edition of IPL and many alike, but it does not mean YKP will be an automatic choice when it comes to picking our national team. To me, the quality of cricket played in IPL is ridiculously low as it involves more off a flash and gloom cricket rather than any skills-showoff podium. And the "great spinners" you are talking about are a retired bunch for crying out loud. They retired for a reason (dip in their confidence/ability, if you wanted me to spell out the reason), so comparing Ashwin's performance to those greats is not a very good idea.

Dude' date=' I have nothing against Ashwin, but YKP too outperformed SRT in the first edition of IPL and many alike, but it does not mean YKP will be an automatic choice when it comes to picking our national team. To me, the quality of cricket played in IPL is ridiculously low as it involves more off a flash and gloom cricket rather than any skills-showoff podium.[/quote'] So the failure of one individual discredits the time-tested principle of judging someone based on the performance of the contemporaries? I can flip that right back at you and say that Ranadeb Bose was a raging success at a FC level. So what went wrong at the international level? Simple fact - The success or failure of one particular individual does not define the efficacy of that strategy as a whole.
And the "great spinners" you are talking about are a retired bunch for crying out loud. They retired for a reason (dip in their confidence/ability, if you wanted me to spell out the reason), so comparing Ashwin's performance to those greats is not a very good idea.
Not true, not even close to being true. Here’s a list of all spinners in this year’s IPL.
Bowler	Average	 Economy
Ashwin	22.5	6.1
Kumble	23.9	6.34
Karthik  28.16.48
Mishra	21.35	6.84		
Murali	22.9	6.85	
Powar	53.3	6.95
Bhajji	22.17	7.04
Yusuf	49.2	7.23	
Ojha	20.42	7.29
Chawla	30.5	7.48
J’riya	34	7.55
Murtaza	30.3	7.58
Warne	34.63	7.62
Jakati	22.3	7.65

Are guys like Bhajji, Ojha, Chawla, Powar, Mishra all retired? Mind you, those numbers are even more amazing, if you consider the fact that a significant number of the overs that Ashwin bowled were actually in the first powerplay, while the other spinners generally tend to come on after the fielding restrictions are lifted.

Entirely agree with Morris..I've been yelling from roof tops for the inclusion of Ashwin in the Indian team. The Srilankan tour was perfect opportunity to draft him in. Sadly, he sat out. Dhoni should've given him atleast one match.. We need to groom bowlers like him, especially an offspinner. He has good height and good skills. We don't have a bloody offspinner other than Bhajji, FFS! I feel it's almost a conspiracy to not allow another Off-spinner to show his skills. I mean how on Earth you can select 3 left arm spinner in a match while an offspinner sits out? It almost felt like Bhajji telling Dhoni before leaving, "Dude, whatever you do, just don't allow any other off spinner to show his skills when I'm not there.."

Entirely agree with Morris..I've been yelling from roof tops for the inclusion of Ashwin in the Indian team. The Srilankan tour was perfect opportunity to draft him in. Sadly, he sat out. Dhoni should've given him atleast one match.. We need to groom bowlers like him, especially an offspinner. He has good height and good skills. We don't have a bloody offspinner other than Bhajji, FFS! I feel it's almost a conspiracy to not allow another Off-spinner to show his skills. I mean how on Earth you can select 3 left arm spinner in a match while an offspinner sits out? It almost felt like Bhajji telling Dhoni before leaving, "Dude, whatever you do, just don't allow any other off spinner to show his skills when I'm not there.."
Janaab, aap khaana bhi khaate ho to usmein bhi kahin to conspiracy nahi doondhte ho?

Nobody is saying Ashwin is the world’s best spinner and if he comes into the team, he will solve all our bowling woes in an instant blah blah blah. The facts of the matter are, our ODI bowling attack’s fortunes have gone careening towards the abyss in the last few months, when confronted with unhelpful conditions, the very same conditions we are likely to encounter in the world cup. And here’s a guy who looks as though he can provide us something different, something new. Unless of course if you think the status quo of conceding an average opposition score of 300 is perfectly acceptable, then there’s no reason whatsoever to experiment and change around stuff. No one can say for sure Ashwin will fire if he’s selected, but at least, he deserves a chance to show what he’s got.

ashwin is just mediocre who can bowl well on slow and turning wickets but will never be successful in outside of subconteitent, 2 of his 3 wickets today were courtesy of Justin kemp otherwise he would had ended up 34/1 and not 24/3, this is the problem with 20/20 cricket, it never shows the correct picture