Tendulkar unhappy with idea of fresh player auction in IPL

IKnowU

Why does people think that the other 2 teams are at a disadvantage if players are retained? The current system only has 4 players per team.Even if all the franchises chooses to keep 4 players, thats only 32 players. Do you think that there are only 32 good players in cricket? Lets CSK for example, if they choose to keep Dhoni, Raina, Murali Vijay and Muralidhran, that still leaves Badri, Morkel,Bollinger, Hayden, Hussey, all players who have performed to take CSK to IPL semis every year. The 4 players will in no way be able to make the current IPL teams stronger, but it will be able to keep some iota of connection i, as a fan of CSK, has had for the past 3 years.
Simple explanation: 3+1 is the proposed retention rule. 3 Indians + 1 Overseas x 8 teams = 24 Indians + 8 Overseas. Few teams would be dumb enough to let their 1-2 standout Indian players and 1 or 2 outstanding performing local players out in the auction for others to poach them, if the retention rule stands as it is. If 8 teams retain their 8 "Iconish" Indians, it means that 8 out of say a the current Indian XI are gone. Add to that, the "local fringe players" like Robin Uthappa, Pragyan Ojha and the likes would be held back by their franchises. Lets consider that out of the remaining 1 or 2 slots for Indians, they pick just 1 local and then goto auction, having secured (or not) the services of an Overseas star each. If Bombay keeps Sachin, Zak and Bhajji, If CSK keeps Raina, Dhoni, , etc for all/most teams... how is this arrangement fair to the 2 new franchises, which have spent absolutely unheard of amounts of money to purchase the 2 new teams? If teams decide to hold back their star players, who is left for the 2 new teams? Some local "stars" no one knows of? C'mon... lets be fair. Everyone wants an Indian national playing for his team.... and a pretty darn good one at that. It is the Indian talent that is going to determine how successful a team pans out to be in the IPL, even if the proposed rule of resting key players and playing 5 Overseas lads goes through. I agree that as local fans, many would like to see their players to be retained. But hey, 7 out of 10 teams don't want this retention rule. They must've weighed up all the pros and cons, isn't it?

CSK, MI and RCB...actually has 4 players they want to retain. The others? Almost every player in the other teams are replaceable. So you have most of the best players in the open too.. I gave a specific example. Even if CSK keeps 3 indians and 1 foreign player, that still leaves badri,ashwin, jakati, 3 indians who has done so well for csk and bollinger, hayden, morkel, hussey up for grabs. The 4 player retention is not mandatory, IIRC. 3 franchises keep their players, others can go to a fresh auction. Besides, in the last 3 years, we've had plenty of new stars and some of the icon players are not stars anymore. Those 7 teams havent built anything. CSK has 5 local players who has done well for them. They have unearthed players like Goni, Tyagi, Jakati, Ashwin and even Murli vijay and badri in a sense for t20s. Obviously now they want to get rid of Ganguly, yuvraj and take Sachin and Dhoni. If ICC gets a proposal to pool all the revenue gotten by all boards and share equally, 7 out of the 10 nations will agree. Doesnt make it fair.

Why does people think that the other 2 teams are at a disadvantage if players are retained? The current system only has 4 players per team.Even if all the franchises chooses to keep 4 players, thats only 32 players. Do you think that there are only 32 good players in cricket? Lets CSK for example, if they choose to keep Dhoni, Raina, Murali Vijay and Muralidhran, that still leaves Badri, Morkel,Bollinger, Hayden, Hussey, all players who have performed to take CSK to IPL semis every year. The 4 players will in no way be able to make the current IPL teams stronger, but it will be able to keep some iota of connection i, as a fan of CSK, has had for the past 3 years.
The problem is not so much with foreign players, but domestic. Taking out 8 top foreign players does not change the quality of the available pool. However taking out the top 24 Indian players is a death knell for the new franchises. As much as you'd like to think otherwise the depth in Indian cricket is not as much that Player number 25 will even be in the same galaxy as the top 15 or so players who play for India regularly.

CSK, MI and RCB...actually has 4 players they want to retain. The others? Almost every player in the other teams are replaceable. So you have most of the best players in the open too.. I gave a specific example. Even if CSK keeps 3 indians and 1 foreign player, that still leaves badri,ashwin, jakati, 3 indians who has done so well for csk and bollinger, hayden, morkel, hussey up for grabs. The 4 player retention is not mandatory, IIRC. 3 franchises keep their players, others can go to a fresh auction. Besides, in the last 3 years, we've had plenty of new stars and some of the icon players are not stars anymore. Those 7 teams havent built anything. CSK has 5 local players who has done well for them. They have unearthed players like Goni, Tyagi, Jakati, Ashwin and even Murli vijay and badri in a sense for t20s. Obviously now they want to get rid of Ganguly, yuvraj and take Sachin and Dhoni. If ICC gets a proposal to pool all the revenue gotten by all boards and share equally, 7 out of the 10 nations will agree. Doesnt make it fair.
Agree with Zap here. It will be sad for is to let go Ashwin or Bollinger or Badri or Murali. Hope BCCI learns the lession this time around and make plans to avoid fresh auctions in the future. As a fan, I cannot change my player loyalties each and every time the players I have bonded with for the last 3 years are thrown into a fresh auction. I personally feel that IPL is now taking a step back for 2 steps forward it took during the last 3 years.

The problem is not so much with foreign players, but domestic. Taking out 8 top foreign players does not change the quality of the available pool. However taking out the top 24 Indian players is a death knell for the new franchises. As much as you'd like to think otherwise the depth in Indian cricket is not as much that Player number 25 will even be in the same galaxy as the top 15 or so players who play for India regularly.
As far as star quality maybe. But in IPL, many younger players have performed much better than the star players. I dont think KKR or Punjab wants to retain any of its players and most others would want to retain less than the possible 3. So we are talking about a dozen players being retained. There are nearly 3 dozen contracted players and plenty of non-contracted players who has done very well in IPL.

As far as star quality maybe. But in IPL' date=' many younger players have performed much better than the star players. I dont think KKR or Punjab wants to retain any of its players and most others would want to retain less than the possible 3. So we are talking about a dozen players being retained. There are nearly 3 dozen contracted players and plenty of non-contracted players who has done very well in IPL.[/quote'] No way. I'll just list out the players who are far and away in terms of quality than the competition. Mumbai - Tendulkar, Harbhajan, Zaheer Delhi - Sehwag, Gambhir, Karthik Chennai - Dhoni, Raina, Ashwin Bangalore - Kumble, Uthappa, Kohli Deccan - Rohit, Ojha, RP Singh Punjab - Yuvraj, I Pathan, Chawla Rajasthan - Y Pathan, Jadeja Take away these players and look at the talent pool you are left with. The best batsmen in the league of the Vijays and Badris, and a grand total of maybe 5 quality bowlers. How can you expect the new franchises to build a team with that kind of standard? I would not have advocated new auctions if there were no new franchises. But addition of new franchises without giving them some ramp up option makes no sense. Also, star value is a huge factor for franchises in IPL, given the commercial nature of the venture. Not sure how you can entirely ignore that. Anyhow, it's just a tamaasha as far as I am concerned so not really worth losing sleep over for me.

lets not forget the cap hit to the teams if they chose to retain 4 players.a significant chunk of their allocated cap will be gone in retaining just 4 players.thats not the way to build a team.BRC should retain uthappa,kohli and taylor.they can get back dravid and kumble for significantly less if they pick them up in the auction.

As far as star quality maybe. But in IPL' date=' many younger players have performed much better than the star players. I dont think KKR or Punjab wants to retain any of its players and most others would want to retain less than the possible 3. So we are talking about a dozen players being retained. There are nearly 3 dozen contracted players and plenty of non-contracted players who has done very well in IPL.[/quote'] Lets say, in the most optimistic terms, there are 10 star players retained by say 5 franchises. This means that the 2 new teams lose out on 10 of the best Indian players straight away. And c'mon, Badri and Vijay or even Manish Pandey and are no replacements for say Viru, Gauti, Dhoni, Raina, Yuvraj and the likes. Everyone wants atleast 1 star to play for them. If a team has spent Rs.1,700 crore and been assured that its interests will be protected and if 7 out of 10 teams, which is more than a simple majority are for it, whats the harm? Like I said, they must've done the math, the permutations and combinations, weighed the pros and cons! If Chennai has the money, they can buy Dhoni back for maybe a cheaper amount than the "undisclosed retainer" they'd offer him. Ditto with MI and Sachin. No team will like to spend more when they can get the same player back in auction for a fixed price. Sachin and CSK fans are just thinking about themselves here. Like Rahul said, "We don’t want to end up in a situation like that of Manchester United and Chelsea (in the English Premier League) where only three or four teams win. I like the concept of having an even playing field as it raises the level of the tournament and interest too.”

Everyone wants atleast 1 star to play for them. If a team has spent Rs.1,700 crore and been assured that its interests will be protected and if 7 out of 10 teams, which is more than a simple majority are for it, whats the harm? Like I said, they must've done the math, the permutations and combinations, weighed the pros and cons!.
The fan base & loyalty built for the past 3 years is lost, but then again who in Indian cricket has ever cared for the fan. It was always about whether the board can make more money.

Forgot to add a point - Sachin, Dhoni and all other players supporting retention will not think twice before moving into the auction pool if they don't get a good deal by their standards, despite whatever they may say now. That would be hypocrisy, but hey, thats fine.

The fan base & loyalty built for the past 3 years is lost' date=' but then again who in Indian cricket has ever cared for the fan. It was always about whether the board can make more money.[/quote'] Change is the essence of nature. If we could accept a format like T20 despite being a pure Test audience before the T20 world Cup, you think the Indian fan will not be able to accept a player moving from one franchise to another? Many players have switched franchises during the 1st 3 IPLs - Zaheer Khan, Robin Uthappa, Shikhar Dhawan to name a few. Its not like the fans turned off the tv and boycotted, bro :)

"We don’t want to end up in a situation like that of Manchester United and Chelsea (in the English Premier League) where only three or four teams win. I like the concept of having an even playing field as it raises the level of the tournament and interest too.â€
There is no comparison between the EPL and IPL. The way IPL is run its just stupid to compare them both. EPL started with 20 teams, they didnt get in 2 teams after 3 years and said, right all teams give up their players because we are going to do an auction now.

Why not have an auction every year then? Poor teams from previous years can get better players the next year?
They have auctions every year and transfer windows too. Even the "great MI" has made use of them. Is it a poor team?
There is no comparison between the EPL and IPL. The way IPL is run its just stupid to compare them both. EPL started with 20 teams' date=' they didnt get in 2 teams after 3 years and said, right all teams give up their players because we are going to do an auction now.[/quote'] Just because you, as say an owner of CSK want to retain Dhoni, COME WHAT MAY, how is it fair to the simple majority who don't want it to happen? What is democracy if everyone wants to do their own thing and not be fair to one and all? Why would a team spend Rs.1700 crore to buy a team when some dude wants to retain the same player who was supposed to go into auction after 3 seasons, as per the laws during his and the original teams' inception? If all teams want it, keep it. If they don't, dump it. Its quite simple. The owners have crores at stake and yet they want to do away with their "stars" and want to go for a fresh auction. They must know something more than us, isn't it bro?

They have auctions every year and transfer windows too. Even the "great MI" has made use of them. Is it a poor team? They must know something more than us, isn't it bro?
Sorry, if it wasn't clear, I meant this new rule with only 4 retained and all players going back into the pool type auction every year. They don't care about us. Anyway, I couldn't care less, my interest in the tournament over the last 3 years has gradually dipped, now that the novelty is worn off.

IPL would be the only league in the world where all players are auctioned every 3 years.... what a joke... this single step has the potential to undo all the 'gains' IPL made in the last 3 years. As far as the 2 new teams are concerned.... it happens in all the leagues all over the world, they just have to deal with it. New teams joining an established league need to have a long term plan to be successful. Auctioning off all players would be akin to EPl or NBA auctioning all players just because a new team is joining in... absurd.

IPL would be the only league in the world where all players are auctioned every 3 years.... what a joke... this single step has the potential to undo all the 'gains' IPL made in the last 3 years. As far as the 2 new teams are concerned.... it happens in all the leagues all over the world, they just have to deal with it. New teams joining an established league need to have a long term plan to be successful. Auctioning off all players would be akin to EPl or NBA auctioning all players just because a new team is joining in... absurd.
Yes it is dumb, but that is what all the teams agreed to originally.

Sachin always keep complaining on such small matters .. sometime I feel nowadays he is more happy to play for his franchise rather than country .. Whtever happy this season .. I just don't want to see sachin as a captain on any IPL team .. He is just not good enough .. His judgment as a captain r always wrong ..
I am very interested to know how you came to that conclusion?

:dito: