Commonwealth Games may be called off : NZ official

seedhi

I can't believe how disconnected with India's reality some of the NRIs posting on this thread are that they are surprised and outraged at the use of child labor. Bandhuon it's business as usual.
not really, like i said in an earlier post, i know child labour is used everywhere in india. but when you have a project as big as the CWG, with a budget bigger than that of the london olympics, you dont expect to see child labour being used. you dont think they could afford to buy some caterpillar or john deere machinery to get the construction done? people need to ask where all that money is really going...

Forget the photos, read the article and then watch this video. This activist reveals how there is human trafficking going on and that there are wages being paid for child labour: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2010/09/23/ctw.intv.india.kara.cnn he has been watching the situation for hours on end, i dont think he is making this stuff up.
You are posturing as though you thought that India was a whiter than white country and you didnt know any of this thing existed in this country and then just sudenly found out that India is a **** country after you went abroad and this activist has exposed what is happening in India. The harsh reality is that every one of us knew/knows how construction labour happens in India. Forget the CWG construction this happens at normal house construction as well. All this is wrong, but this has nothing to do with the CWG organisers. The reason why there were child labour working and the point this guys is saying about human trafficking etc, the reasons behind it are much bigger. A large portion of the country still lives below the poverty line, migrant labour is a norm, otherwise they wouldn't even have two penny to eat for the next meal. All the stuff about India being an econmic super power is just for only a small percentage of the company and as long as it doesnt percolate down to the entire country this is how India will be.

not really, like i said in an earlier post, i know child labour is used everywhere in india. but when you have a project as big as the CWG, with a budget bigger than that of the london olympics, you dont expect to see child labour being used. you dont think they could afford to buy some caterpillar or john deere machinery to get the construction done? people need to ask where all that money is really going...
The bigger the budget the more profit the contractor can make. The blame also goes to the parents who think they can extra money by using their kids. Child Labour will not be eradicated from India unless the parents of the child labourers themselves take a stand against it.

On a sort of related note, I was watchin Shanker'sSivaji the other day - during one of the scenes in the movie around construction, a child gets electrocuted and Rajini warns the contractor & the parenst about child labour. This is the director's way of raising the issue of child labour. Half way into the movie there is another scene where a boy in a tea shop serves tea & snacks to the hero. Suddenly yhe director has conveniently forgotten all about child labour.

I can't believe how disconnected with India's reality some of the NRIs posting on this thread are that they are surprised and outraged at the use of child labor. Bandhuon it's business as usual.
The bigger the budget the more profit the contractor can make. The blame also goes to the parents who think they can extra money by using their kids. Child Labour will not be eradicated from India unless the parents of the child labourers themselves take a stand against it.
Somebody finally talking some sense regarding the child labour issue.

Hasnt delhi's infra I mean the roads ' date=' bus transport,metro ,airport got a boost because of the cwg . I think thats a big positive for delhi aint it.[/quote'] Some positive, but not much. The games was initially supposed to be used to develope an underdeveloped area (Bawana, I think. It's a greenfield and it would've been ecxellent to develope a new area than spending so much money to "upgrade" and existing infrastructure/area).. London olympics is being held in an underdeveloped area and the target is to make it fully developed by the time Olympics starts..

Totally agree. Whats all this outrage at child labour BS:hysterical: Child labour is par for the course, lets be honest if these kids werent working they would not be going to school but would be unemployed or begging, thats just how India is. All the outrage at child labor on this board:hysterical: I guarntee all your relatives in India have kids working for them and all the poloiticians to. In fact we ourselves employ kids, its the way of India I am afraid.

Some positive, but not much. The games was initially supposed to be used to develope an underdeveloped area (Bawana, I think. It's a greenfield and it would've been ecxellent to develope a new area than spending so much money to "upgrade" and existing infrastructure/area).. London olympics is being held in an underdeveloped area and the target is to make it fully developed by the time Olympics starts..
well you cant please everybody . Another positive for me at least was mumbai and maharahstra was spared from this cwg nonsense.They had initally planned it for mumbai.Thank god for that.

Totally agree. Whats all this outrage at child labour BS:hysterical: Child labour is par for the course, lets be honest if these kids werent working they would not be going to school but would be unemployed or begging, thats just how India is. All the outrage at child labor on this board:hysterical: I guarntee all your relatives in India have kids working for them and all the poloiticians to. In fact we ourselves employ kids, its the way of India I am afraid.
THAT! I wanted someone to raise that point. Many people conveniently forget the young boy washing their parents' car in India or the young girl cleaning the house. All this spluttering with indignation is pure poppycock.

THAT! I wanted someone to raise that point. Many people conveniently forget the young boy washing their parents' car in India or the young girl cleaning the house. All this spluttering with indignation is pure poppycock.
speak for yourself. just because your family happens to have scumbags that use slumdwelling kids to wash their cars and their paan-stains doesn't mean other families do the same thing. yeah, feeling annoyed over the use of child labour is pure 'poppycock'.

Yaar, just because it is a big event will not change the fundamentals. Even if Manmohan Singh was personally overseeing the event, he would have still contracted out the project, which would have been sub contracted and sub sub contracted. The lower level contractors and laborers could not give a damn if they were building a flat for international athletes of CWG or some run of the mill housing project.

speak for yourself. just because your family happens to have scumbags that use slumdwelling kids to wash their cars and their paan-stains doesn't mean other families do the same thing. yeah, feeling annoyed over the use of child labour is pure 'poppycock'.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: You are a first class moron!! My statement was not specific to people on this forum dumbass, its a situation prevalent in India. You really need to go down there to see what's going on instead of mouthing of on the forum here. *******s like you are a dime a dozen sitting abroad and blubbing about child labour etc, have you ever helped any kids or funded an orphangae in India? I know I have.

Akhil's bed at Games' Village collapses

On reaching the Games' Village, Akhil said it was a rude shock as his bed collapsed when he sat down to take rest after a long journey. "We reached at the Olympic Bhavan late in the afternoon to collect our accreditation cards. But when I sat down on my bed to take rest it collapse," he said.
Link: http://cwg.ndtv.com/commonwealth/article/id/spoen20100154413/type/latest/Akhils-bed-Games-Village-collapses-54799.html :aha: