XIX Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 3-14 October

CWG competition is not world-class compared to Olympics or Asian Games. Lots of 'free' medals available especially in wrestling.
on the contrary Wrestling is one sport we are close to world class & getting better gradually .. the recently concluded WC , we won a gold for the first time & few other medals

CWG competition is not world-class compared to Olympics or Asian Games. Lots of 'free' medals available especially in wrestling.
Most of the best wrestlers come from eastern europe. USA also has some world champions, though India can get couple of bronze in next Olympic in london provided they go with good preparation.

on the contrary Wrestling is one sport we are close to world class & getting better gradually .. the recently concluded WC ' date=' we won a gold for the first time & few other medals[/quote'] ++ one good thing this CWG is doing and recent competitions have done is that interest in other sports except cricket is increasing and we are improving year after year .. shooting and wrestling and somewhat weightlifting are Oympics sprots where we are at par with the rest of the world

on the contrary Wrestling is one sport we are close to world class & getting better gradually .. the recently concluded WC ' date=' we won a gold for the first time & few other medals[/quote'] India can do really well in 3 sports, Wrestling, Shooting and Boxing if the government support these 3 sports instead of dispersing the limited 400 crore budget on hundred different games. The countries which came 10-20th in Olympics medals tally normally are only good in 1-2 games where they get 4-8 medals including couple of golds.

Most of the best wrestlers come from eastern europe. USA also has some world champions' date=' though India can get couple of bronze in next Olympic in london provided they go with good preparation.[/quote'] NO...most of the current world champs are from Russia , we are at par with eastern Europe ..infact India was the only country to win a gold , apart from Russia in recent world cup

India can do really well in 3 sports, Wrestling, Shooting and Boxing if the government support these 3 sports instead of dispersing the limited 400 crore budget on hundred different games. The countries which came 10-20th in Olympics medals tally normally are only good in 1-2 games where they get 4-8 medals including couple of golds.
If the 400 crores would not have been spent then these three sports would not have gone ahead too... every sport should be promoted from now on.. when a BS game like motor racing/Grand Prix is making debut in India next year with thousands of crores spent then what is the problem in giving some money for promotion of other sports.. Grand Prix is going to be another show off sport rather than skills and India (maybe private companies ... whatever) is pumping thousands of crores already .. so why not to promote useful sports too .. every good sport should be promote.. I would also like to see India on the football map too soon

India can do really well in 3 sports, Wrestling, Shooting and Boxing if the government support these 3 sports instead of dispersing the limited 400 crore budget on hundred different games. The countries which came 10-20th in Olympics medals tally normally are only good in 1-2 games where they get 4-8 medals including couple of golds.
you missed archery , we are the current world champs & have been in the top 3 for a few years now ...Korea dominated this sport for a long time though , but in recent years our archers have beaten them on occasions .

New Zealand TV host suspended for mispronouncing Delhi's CM name as 'Dick-sh`i`t' Wed, Oct 6 10:20 AM Wellington, Oct 6 (ANI): A New Zealand television station has suspended its breakfast show host Paul Henry for mispronouncing Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Diksh`i`t's name several times in a crude manner. Henry's slurs featured as a clip on TVNZ website in which he ridicules the name of Commonwealth Games troubleshooter Sheila Diksh`i`t. The Video Extras section of TVNZ's website promoted the Diksh`i`t clip, which now appears to have been removed, under the heading "Paul Henry laughs about the name Diksh`i`t", Stuff.co.nz reports. "The dip sh`i`t woman. God, what's her name? D`i`ck Sh`i`t. Is it Dick Sh`i`t ... it looks like 'Dick Sh`i`t'. It's so appropriate, because she's Indian, so she'd be dick-in-sh`i`t wouldn't she, do you know what I mean? Walking along the street ... it's just so funny," Henry said.

Btw, till the last Olympic of 2004, China only used to do well in 4-5 sports, TT, badminton, gymnastics (12 year old girls) and long distance running/diving. They focused on their core areas and literally kicked indonesia/malaysia/thailand in TT/Badminton

M not talking about all the countries participating in CWG. My point was aimed at our neighbors who think they are genetically bigger and stronger because Nasser Hussein says so.

NO...most of the current world champs are from Russia ' date=' we are at par with eastern Europe ..infact India was the only country to win a gold , apart from Russia in recent world cup[/quote'] JA, Eastern europe == Russia too :icflove: but I don't follow much sport, good to see India winning doing good in WC. It is a shame that our media do not highlight such news
you missed archery ' date=' we are the current world champs & have been in the top 3 for a few years now ...Korea dominated this sport for a long time though , but in recent years our archers have beaten them on occasions .[/quote'] Good to know, who are the current potential archers who can win the medal for us in 2012 ?
If the 400 crores would not have been spent then these three sports would not have gone ahead too... every sport should be promoted from now on.. when a BS game like motor racing/Grand Prix is making debut in India next year with thousands of crores spent then what is the problem in giving some money for promotion of other sports.. Grand Prix is going to be another show off sport rather than skills and India (maybe private companies ... whatever) is pumping thousands of crores already .. so why not to promote useful sports too .. every good sport should be promote.. I would also like to see India on the football map too soon
You are right, see we obviously can not withdraw support to other games, I just feels we need to focus on these 3 sports (and archery so make it 4), just like in my earlier post I said, China focussed on 4-5 sports where they felt they have higher chances of getting medals.

New Zealand TV host suspended for mispronouncing Delhi's CM name as 'Dick-sh`i`t' Wed, Oct 6 10:20 AM Wellington, Oct 6 (ANI): A New Zealand television station has suspended its breakfast show host Paul Henry for mispronouncing Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Diksh`i`t's name several times in a crude manner. Henry's slurs featured as a clip on TVNZ website in which he ridicules the name of Commonwealth Games troubleshooter Sheila Diksh`i`t. The Video Extras section of TVNZ's website promoted the Diksh`i`t clip, which now appears to have been removed, under the heading "Paul Henry laughs about the name Diksh`i`t", Stuff.co.nz reports. "The dip sh`i`t woman. God, what's her name? D`i`ck Sh`i`t. Is it Dick Sh`i`t ... it looks like 'Dick Sh`i`t'. It's so appropriate, because she's Indian, so she'd be dick-in-sh`i`t wouldn't she, do you know what I mean? Walking along the street ... it's just so funny," Henry said.
Her name is indeed funny, what's wrong in making fun of someonce name ? I remember Indians laughing and paying $xx+ for tickets when Russel Peter made fun of Hardick, Suckdeep, ramandeep etc, Indians need to stop being hypocritical