What is Dhoni's contribution to the team?

nballa

Captain of icc test xi this year, icc's best odi player last year, captained india no 1 test ranking (fr abt an year now) and T20 wc win, his team to the ipl and clt20 wins, won many matches for india(esp against the pakis) Seriously..wht more is there fr this guy to achieve, the most indispensable player for india, an ODI wc? Guess only he could lead sachin to what has been sachin's dream for 21 years.

But India were batting second...and PAK had score of over 500 in the innings and India were around 280 for 5 and No..it was Nagpur test in 2008 (I am nt sure bt it was against Aussies) and that 148 is still one of the best aggressive innings by an Indian against fast bowling....along with Sehwag's 319
Jesus christ man.. It was a flat patta and he did a good job there, doesn't make it one of the best agressive innings against phaasht bowling etc. And what's special with the nagpur knock? Oh please. We're not talking about Ishant sharma here.
Captain of icc test xi this year, icc's best odi player last year, captained india no 1 test ranking (fr abt an year now) and T20 wc win, his team to the ipl and clt20 wins, won many matches for india(esp against the pakis) Seriously..wht more is there fr this guy to achieve, the most indispensable player for india, an ODI wc? Guess only he could lead sachin to what has been sachin's dream for 21 years.
Dhoni is a great kaptaan.
street smart captain' date=' very good keeper , fighter with the bat(more so in ODIs), calming and confidence boosting influence, facilitating all the greats to perform at their best etc etc.[/quote']While I do consider Dhoni has had some influence on the way the team plays in ODIs and T20s, in the Tests he has been rather defensive. The main reason India is at number 1 is because of the following: Dada, Sachin, Kumble, Rahul, Lax, Viru, Bhajji, and Zak. Agreed India got to the number 1 rank only last year but it was mainly the effort of the above mentioned gentlemen in taking India from the rank of 8 in 2000 when Dada took over to number 1 in exactly 10 yrs time. India is number 1 because it won series against almost everyone - India beat Eng in Eng not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we beat WI in WI not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we almost beat Aus in Aus not bnecause of Dhoni's captaincy, we drew with SL in SL not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we beat NZ in NZ not because of Dhoni's captaincy. I feel Dhoni has been way too defensive as a Test captain of the number 1 team. We couild have beaten NZ 2-0 in NZ but Dhoni waited for us to have a lead of 600 runs!!!! How defensive can you get? In the last Test instead of letting the game drift to a draw, if he had the attitude of a number 1 team's captain, he would'vbe tried to bowl NZ out by declaring with a lead of 250. But he waited for Lax to get out and then at least if he had declared the moment Bhajji got his ton we could've tried something. Alright the pitch was flat but a number 1 team surely takes these risks and tries to force a result especially against minnows like NZ. I can understand Rahul's defensive declaration at The Oval and Kumble's declaration at Bangalore agianst Pak because these 2 have had too many scars of defeat in the 90s that they chose caution over aggression. But Dhoni? What is his excuse? He is new blood...if new blood also has the fears of the old blood then what have we gained? In essence, my point is that Dhoni cannot take even 15% of the credit for India's Test team rising to 1. We got there because of consistent performances over 10 yrs and in all those 10 yrs we fought tooth and nail. Brisbane we were 69/4 but Dada and Lax saved the day. Kolkata we all know. In 2002 at Nottingham the tridev of Indian middle order each of them scored at least 90 runs in the second dig to save the Test and then we won the next one. In SA in 2006 we could've actually won the series except for 2 hours of brain-frozen slow play by Sachin and Rahul that too against Paul Harris. Anyway, we started so many series losing the first Test but immediately jumped back to win the second one because of superior skill and not captaincy really. Let me put it this way... until Sachin, Rahul, Kumble, Ganguly, Lax, and Srinath came together Indian team was ruled by egos of seniors. These 6 men dedicated themselves to a higher cause and reigned in their egos. With Dhoni as cap Sachin, Rahul, Lax, Dada, and Viru backed him and basically told him u are the cap, we'll listen to you (and we will teach u the tricks of the trade)...this never happened in Indian cricket when such a collection of Indian Legends ALLOWED themselves to be captained by a junior fellow. Not only that but they groomed him as a captain. Dhoni has been inspirational for the younger boys especially in ODI and T20 but in the Tests he is not so much rather he is not required to inspire...the senior pros aare themselves inspired and have inspired the juniors. You saw what Bhajji did after he got his cent...signaled to the guy who has been inspiring him to improve his batting. Notice how Sreesanth and Ishant talk about Zak's leadership. In fact Zak captains the bowling unit. Notice how Viru tapped Vijay on his helmet on his debut against Aus when he got out telling him 'you did a good job'. And many other such incidents.....:--D Bharatvarsha the great...no the majestic!

Dear friend, while 15 is a good number, as 15*6.67=100, i completely disagree with defining percentages as cricket is a team game. india simply could not have been no 1 or retained tht position for 1 yr now without dhoni. Just cant imagine it with sehwag as captain and saha as keeper.lol Its not as if others r grooming dhoni. Lol. He is quite simply the best out there. His tactics, field placings, bowling changes, player management, keeping(stumping, runouts), resolute batting etc are exemplary. Remember the last time aus toured india? india drew both matches under kumble and won the other two under dhoni. remember how he stiffled the runs and got out wkts after aust got off to 180 odd with runrate between 5-6? He commands respect and has confidence of all teammates bcoz they know how good he is and what he has already achieved. Even in this match, he kept wkts for 2 days, with fever n suspected malaria. This guy is as cool, as smart and as tough as you can get, inspirational really. Rather disappointed that sm people undermine his role.

Its not as if others r grooming dhoni. Lol. He is quite simply the best out there. His tactics, field placings, bowling changes, player management, keeping(stumping, runouts), resolute batting etc are exemplary.
Is it? Then please explain the tactical brilliance of bowling Vinay Kumar in the final over vs Aus while Ashwin had one over left. :--D (the recent ODI)
Is it? Then please explain the tactical brilliance of bowling Vinay Kumar in the final over vs Aus while Ashwin had one over left. :--D (the recent ODI)
Sir g..remember superover..Ashwin went for 24...a spinner has more chances of getting hit for sixes than a pacer in death overs....when he gave that over to Ashwin, we all crticized and now you are criticizing him to not giving the Ashwin the final over...its ridiculous...:cantstop:
Jesus christ man.. It was a flat patta and he did a good job there' date= doesn't make it one of the best agressive innings against phaasht bowling etc. And what's special with the nagpur knock? Oh please. We're not talking about Ishant sharma here.
Did you watch that inning live...if you had watched you couldn't have said that...any wicket wants some courage to play that kind of an innings....except Sehwag there is no one in India who can play that kind of an innings, aggressive counter attack..that was thrilling....its the captaincy which prevents him to play like that now a days and he changed his game just for sake of the team...coz its not that easy to be an Indian captain....its a Dodhaari talwar...and I am not saying this bcoz I am a fan of Dhoni...no..I am not a fan of a particular cricketer...I am a fan of Team India
While I do consider Dhoni has had some influence on the way the team plays in ODIs and T20s, in the Tests he has been rather defensive. The main reason India is at number 1 is because of the following: Dada, Sachin, Kumble, Rahul, Lax, Viru, Bhajji, and Zak. Agreed India got to the number 1 rank only last year but it was mainly the effort of the above mentioned gentlemen in taking India from the rank of 8 in 2000 when Dada took over to number 1 in exactly 10 yrs time. India is number 1 because it won series against almost everyone - India beat Eng in Eng not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we beat WI in WI not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we almost beat Aus in Aus not bnecause of Dhoni's captaincy, we drew with SL in SL not because of Dhoni's captaincy, we beat NZ in NZ not because of Dhoni's captaincy. I feel Dhoni has been way too defensive as a Test captain of the number 1 team. We couild have beaten NZ 2-0 in NZ but Dhoni waited for us to have a lead of 600 runs!!!! How defensive can you get? In the last Test instead of letting the game drift to a draw, if he had the attitude of a number 1 team's captain, he would'vbe tried to bowl NZ out by declaring with a lead of 250. But he waited for Lax to get out and then at least if he had declared the moment Bhajji got his ton we could've tried something. Alright the pitch was flat but a number 1 team surely takes these risks and tries to force a result especially against minnows like NZ. I can understand Rahul's defensive declaration at The Oval and Kumble's declaration at Bangalore agianst Pak because these 2 have had too many scars of defeat in the 90s that they chose caution over aggression. But Dhoni? What is his excuse? He is new blood...if new blood also has the fears of the old blood then what have we gained? In essence, my point is that Dhoni cannot take even 15% of the credit for India's Test team rising to 1. We got there because of consistent performances over 10 yrs and in all those 10 yrs we fought tooth and nail. Brisbane we were 69/4 but Dada and Lax saved the day. Kolkata we all know. In 2002 at Nottingham the tridev of Indian middle order each of them scored at least 90 runs in the second dig to save the Test and then we won the next one. In SA in 2006 we could've actually won the series except for 2 hours of brain-frozen slow play by Sachin and Rahul that too against Paul Harris. Anyway, we started so many series losing the first Test but immediately jumped back to win the second one because of superior skill and not captaincy really. Let me put it this way... until Sachin, Rahul, Kumble, Ganguly, Lax, and Srinath came together Indian team was ruled by egos of seniors. These 6 men dedicated themselves to a higher cause and reigned in their egos. With Dhoni as cap Sachin, Rahul, Lax, Dada, and Viru backed him and basically told him u are the cap, we'll listen to you (and we will teach u the tricks of the trade)...this never happened in Indian cricket when such a collection of Indian Legends ALLOWED themselves to be captained by a junior fellow. Not only that but they groomed him as a captain. Dhoni has been inspirational for the younger boys especially in ODI and T20 but in the Tests he is not so much rather he is not required to inspire...the senior pros aare themselves inspired and have inspired the juniors. You saw what Bhajji did after he got his cent...signaled to the guy who has been inspiring him to improve his batting. Notice how Sreesanth and Ishant talk about Zak's leadership. In fact Zak captains the bowling unit. Notice how Viru tapped Vijay on his helmet on his debut against Aus when he got out telling him 'you did a good job'. And many other such incidents.....:--D Bharatvarsha the great...no the majestic!
Sir ji..there is a very thin margin between courageous and a fool...its like dodhaari talwar as an Indian captain....you think our bowling is that good to win us matches...its all going lucky for India...and to be a courageous and not a fool...first he need to think whether we have a bowling attack which can do it for team India..... don't compare this team to invincible Aussie team..this ream is number one right now, not only just because they have played well but also because the level of others have come down....and that Aussie team had great bowlers and were sure shot match winners...but Indian bowlers you will always have doubt....and just a little doubt make it difficult to be courageous...because if the team lose in an attempt of being courageous...they will be called foolish and fans like you will be burning the effigies of these players.... Its a team game and everyone contributes...a captain himself cannot take any decision...its whole team management which include senior players too....being courageous doesn't mean be foolish until you get the right result and to get right result you need to have those skills in every player which our bowlers actually do not posses...as well as Zak was bowling with muscle strain on the fourth day......
Did you watch that inning live...if you had watched you couldn't have said that...any wicket wants some courage to play that kind of an innings....except Sehwag there is no one in India who can play that kind of an innings' date=' aggressive counter attack..that was thrilling....its the captaincy which prevents him to play like that now a days and he changed his game just for sake of the team...coz its not that easy to be an Indian captain....its a Dodhaari talwar...and I am not saying this bcoz I am a fan of Dhoni...no..I am not a fan of a particular cricketer...I am a fan of Team India[/quote'] Yes dude I watched it and that was nowhere near the best.. What courage are you talking about? Almost every dude is milking actor for runs these days.. When Pathan scores a ton in the same innings you know that it is not anywhere near a lethal attack.. Phaasht bowling in flat pattas are easier to score unless there is some reverse.. In that case Bhajji must be a better batsman for his innings against NZ, Aus etc. right? Those came in tougher circumstances atleast and at good pace too :--D
Yes dude I watched it and that was nowhere near the best.. What courage are you talking about? Almost every dude is milking actor for runs these days.. When Pathan scores a ton in the same innings you know that it is not anywhere near a lethal attack.. Phaasht bowling in flat pattas are easier to score unless there is some reverse.. In that case Bhajji must be a better batsman for his innings against NZ, Aus etc. right? Those came in tougher circumstances atleast and at good pace too :--D
:finger:,it was the a great counter attacking attacking innings and at that time Akhtar was in his prime and in the last test series he had demolished England on the same flat wickets learn to appreciate sometime ,by putting your hatred aside
:finger:,it was the a great counter attacking attacking innings and at that time Akhtar was in his prime and in the last test series he had demolished England on the same flat wickets learn to appreciate sometime ,by putting your hatred aside
Abbey who hates him.. I'm the last person to criticize Dhoni as a batsman.. I agree it was a very good knock.. But I don't think it was one of the best display of batting against pace bowling that's all..
Sir g..remember superover..Ashwin went for 24...a spinner has more chances of getting hit for sixes than a pacer in death overs....when he gave that over to Ashwin' date=' we all crticized and now you are criticizing him to not giving the Ashwin the final over...its ridiculous...:cantstop:[/quote'] PJ.. In that match Ashwin went for plenty, and dhoni gives him the super ova.. But in this match he was our best bowler.. That was in SA - and this was in Vizag.. Was that so hard?
So a thread on our resilience has turned into a Dhoni bashing thread? Well done.
Wrong, actually Few Fanboys are having Opnion of Dhoni being greater than God (Rajinikanth) which i agreed with. But there are many who thinks he is Good But not 'God' hence the argument, which Fanboys may take it as 'Bashing' and 'Hatred'.
So a thread on our resilience has turned into a Dhoni bashing thread? Well done.
mate Basically few one-eyed worshipers of ...we all know who, cant digest properly justified valuation of dhoni and tht sometimes someone could be more indispensable for indian team than their God. SO they resort to 'bashing' and satire. :-P