What is Dhoni's contribution to the team?

nballa

PJ.. In that match Ashwin went for plenty' date=' and dhoni gives him the super ova.. But in this match he was our best bowler.. That was in SA - and this was in Vizag.. Was that so hard?[/quote'] not plenty actually, ashwin, murli and bollinger went for 34, 17 and 40 respectively in 4 overs. Murli should have been the obvious choice, maybe he wanted to give the younger guy from india a go. didnt work. SO he now knows ashwin may go for runs at the death.

Dhoni critics expect too much frm the man. apart from marvellous captaincy, brilliant wicket keeping, these folks demand nothing less than laxman-type clutch performances evry time dhoni goes out to bat in tests. Not their fault really as he has been performing at that level for so much time in all formats tht these people ignore that there is also something called batting-form which can smtime ellude you...

not plenty actually, ashwin, murli and bollinger went for 34, 17 and 40 respectively in 4 overs. Murli should have been the obvious choice, maybe he wanted to give the younger guy from india a go. didnt work. SO he now knows ashwin may go for runs at the death.
Oh dear... Are you for real? He gave Ashwin the super over because he is a young indian :cantstop: That's a masterstroke I must admit. So you bowl the guy who had a bad game in the super over instead of bowling an experienced spinner like Murali, or hell even raina who bowled well during death? And when he had a very good game he doesn't get to ball his full quota of overs, let alone bowling at the death. That's some masterstroke that mere mortals like me fail to grasp. Not interested in replying anymore and derail this thread further. Dhoni>Mark taylor+Allan border. End of discussion. :--D
Dhoni critics expect too much frm the man. apart from marvellous captaincy' date= brilliant wicket keeping, these folks demand nothing less than laxman-type clutch performances evry time dhoni goes out to bat in tests. Not their fault really as he has been performing at that level for so much time in all formats tht these people ignore that there is also something called batting-form which can smtime ellude you...
:facepalm: Can you change the topic please?
Oh dear... Are you for real? He gave Ashwin the super over because he is a young indian :cantstop: That's a masterstroke I must admit. So you bowl the guy who had a bad game in the super over instead of bowling an experienced spinner like Murali' date=' or hell even raina who bowled well during death? And when he had a very good game he doesn't get to ball his full quota of overs, let alone bowling at the death. That's some masterstroke that mere mortals like me fail to grasp.[/quote'] whats wrong with testing out a young indian under pressure for the future? I think you are right abt the later part. he should have bowled out ashwin in the odi. I guess yuvi was bowling tightly in a spell so he carried on with him and then the end overs started. but i think you are right here.
whats wrong with testing out a young indian under pressure for the future? I think you are right abt the later part. he should have bowled out ashwin in the odi. I guess yuvi was bowling tightly in a spell so he carried on with him and then the end overs started. but i think you are right here.
That's good for a start.. :--D And maybe Champions trophy is not exactly the place to test out new youngsters for team India? (T20 perfomance means jack anyways.) Even if so, where was this greatness while he bowled murali in the super over against KXIP? :giggle:
That's good for a start.. :--D And maybe Champions trophy is not exactly the place to test out new youngsters for team India? (T20 perfomance means jack anyways.) Even if so, where was this greatness while he bowled murali in the super over against KXIP? :giggle:
Raina was the captain :D :popcorn: PLEASE CARRY ON THE DEBATE
well mate, guess the only justification could be giving more chances to indian players to perform. If you win an international tournament like CLT20 with major contributions from only foreign players, it doesnt enhance the reputation of indian talent. vijay and ashwin being on No. 1 runs and wkts list is better than having hayden and murli there.
Raina was the captain :D :popcorn: PLEASE CARRY ON THE DEBATE
Ok I stand corrected then, thanks DZ :two_thumbs_up:
well mate, guess the only justification could be giving more chances to indian players to perform. If you win an international tournament like CLT20 with major contributions from only foreign players, it doesnt enhance the reputation of indian talent. vijay and ashwin being on No. 1 runs and wkts list is better than having hayden and murli there.
Epic :facepalm: Indian players are not selected on the basis of CLT20 performances, atleast I won't want them to be selected so.. And giving him the super over could backfire easily even if you were right. If he had a bad day with the ball, the best you can do is to save the match with your best bowlers and not to further damage by putting him under more pressure :headshake:
++ good post. laxman and bhajji have always been tough as nails. In my humble opinion, the biggest positive change in indian cricket has been noticed since the arrival of dhoni . Lot of credit should go to him.
I honestly don't know what exactly he is doing to help this team except that we are winning a lot since he took over the captaincy. I agree that the same team under Kumble seemed more uptight and not doing as well, in comes wonder boy and now we are world beaters. :--D
I honestly don't know what exactly he is doing to help this team except that we are winning a lot since he took over the captaincy. I agree that the same team under Kumble seemed more uptight and not doing as well, in comes wonder boy and now we are world beaters.
I disagree we needed Kumble and he played his part perfectly...When RD resigned all of sudden,we needed someone to takeover and ensure the smooth transition to a younger captain Remember Paki team when Inzi retired out of the blue they gave shoaib Malick and look at the mess they are in Not that I am comparing poyz with us but just to show that we took the right desicion at the right time.Dhoni is lucky that he is surrounded by level-headed seniors
Ok I stand corrected then, thanks DZ :two_thumbs_up: Epic :facepalm: Indian players are not selected on the basis of CLT20 performances, atleast I won't want them to be selected so.. And giving him the super over could backfire easily even if you were right. If he had a bad day with the ball, the best you can do is to save the match with your best bowlers and not to further damage by putting him under more pressure :headshake:
well jadeja, pathan did get selected frm ipl performances. But its not mainly abt indian selection, its abt not giving outsiders a chance to harp on that we won only bcoz of foreign players and tht local talent is crap. And giving youngsters exposure and confidence for the future. Agree?