ICF photography thread

zen

Is RAW another image format?
Yes ,As name implies its minimally or not at all processed by Camera ,whereas jpeg is processed by in camera processor. hence, they are bigger in size in comparison to jpeg .Its depended on camera maker .Usually one needs proprietary software to open them.Liike Nikon Raw is .nef and Canon is .CRW. Why RAW over Jpeg in layman's langauge : -Captures more colour detail . -Flexibly in controlling Exposure and White balance . -Easier to Post Process i.e more flexibility .

On RAW vs jpeg Graphically: Camera ----> shoot RAW (camera's propitiatory format) ----> import files to your computer ----> do post processing (in Photoshop, Capture One, Aperture, etc) with "more" control ----> save as JPEG (universal format) ----> Share Camera ----> RAW ----> JPEG ----> import files to your computer and do post processing if you want ----> Share As you can see from the above^, shooting in RAW automatically doesn't imply that your pictures will be great. Shooting in RAW only means that you do much of the post processing instead of the camera. You shoot in RAW only if you love to do the post processing with a greater control. To share the files with others, you still have to convert the RAW file to an universal format like JPEG .... To simplify further: RAW is more like developing a film but instead of chemicals, the "digital film" is developed on your computer (digital darkroom) Talking about shooting in JPEG, you can post process JPEG files too. Only thing is that you "may" not get a greater control and some RAW details could be lost when the camera converts to JPEG. Now-a-days, you can set the picture style you want on camera so if you know what you want shooting in JPEG is ok. You can even take a test shot and change the camera's settings accordingly At the end of the day, it's a matter of convenience. If you are just taking casual pictures of your cat/dog/lion, your family/friends, environment, etc, then there is not much point in shooting in RAW. On the other hand, if you love post processing, don't like fiddling much with your camera's settings (as you can fiddle on your PC), want greater control over how your images look (for e.g. artistic looks), etc, then shoot RAW Personally, I stopped shooting in RAW only a long time ago. The files are bigger (take more space) and the adjustments that I make in post processing are basic (which can be done in JPEG too). Also, at times, I tend to download pictures directly on PS3 so JPEG helps. I also take a lot of test shots and play with camera's settings so there isn't much to post process so if I shoot in RAW, then I have an extra step of converting it to JPEG if I want to share the pictures. I don't even edit all my pictures .... On the other hand, when I was shooting my company's Christmas Party, I think I shot in RAW to be sure that if I didn't get the settings right, I could do the work in post processing. If I were going on a trip to Andes, I would probably shoot in RAW (just for the extra cushion). So it depends up on the situation too Shooting RAW vs JPEG also depends upon whether you are shooting action. JPEG being a smaller file allows you to shoot at a higher burst rate

I always wanted to invest in a GND system like the Lee system .... I can get the circular ones but the general advise is not to get them as the GND line is at the center (unless you can crop in PP) so I resisted getting one with the idea of getting the Lee system in future. Which ones do you use?

Yes ,As name implies its minimally or not at all processed by Camera ,whereas jpeg is processed by in camera processor. hence, they are bigger in size in comparison to jpeg .Its depended on camera maker .Usually one needs proprietary software to open them.Liike Nikon Raw is .nef and Canon is .CRW. Why RAW over Jpeg in layman's langauge : -Captures more colour detail . -Flexibly in controlling Exposure and White balance . -Easier to Post Process i.e more flexibility .
Thanks Stuge, I get it now :two_thumbs_up:

I always wanted to invest in a GND system like the Lee system .... I can get the circular ones but the general advise is not to get them as the GND line is at the center (unless you can crop in PP) so I resisted getting one with the idea of getting the Lee system in future. Which ones do you use?
I've a set of Hi tech Soft and Hard filter plus Singh Ray reverse ND.Lee system costs a lot and procuring filters for me isn't easy here in India.All my filters are sourced from abroad . You live in Canada ,so it will be easier for you to buy filters .Get Lee or Singh Ray if you can afford them. @sree_india I liked those pictures ,but they will look more nice if horizons were straight and not tilted .

Is RAW another image format?
Technically speaking - RAW format means, storing raw values of pixels. And it is upto manufacturer which format to use to store the pixel values - can be RGB, HSV... (there has to be some industry standard).. and other manufacturer specific header data and markers. JPEG is lossy compression - quite some original pixel data is lost while trying to save the space.. But it still serves the purpose of general public. Since RAW is as raw it can be, and JPEG would be missing lot of original pixel values, professionals would prefer RAW format for more flexibility over post-processing.