ICF photography thread

zen

From the Archives :These pictures were taken in Kurfi -Himachal pradesh.Kurfi is about 19km from shimla .Decent hill station with great views of himalayas . 6855879461_1688ab9f99_z.jpg this is 663 sec exposure.you can see clearly see sensor heating up . 6853898621_4f8a4a228d.jpg D40 was pig even at iso800 . 6267231400_6fdcc63c30_z.jpg4355139886_62485dbd58_z.jpg 24 shots X 3 Min each -1hour 12 min All the above shots are taken with Nikon D40

417701_308434509210293_438581691_n.jpg Here is my attempt, recently purchased Nikon D5100 with two lenses 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm any tips on how to edit pics, usually I have raw pics but sometimes I want to edit it too. any other tips are also welcomed. took it from my room window so the image is kinda blurry

417701_308434509210293_438581691_n.jpg Here is my attempt, recently purchased Nikon D5100 with two lenses 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm any tips on how to edit pics, usually I have raw pics but sometimes I want to edit it too. any other tips are also welcomed. took it from my room window so the image is kinda blurry
Basic editing would be correcting for white balance, exposure, etc, cropping and then sharpening Try to use a tripod to reduce blur or shoot at fast shutter speeds (if exposure permits)

Haven't got a tripod yet but I might get one soon what is ideal shutter speed ?
Theoretically: your camera has an APS-C sensor, Nikon calls it 'DX', so you have multiply lens focal length times 1.5 Take your two lenses: 1. 18-55: the longest end is 55 so you should try to use 55*1.5= approx 1/80 as minimum hand held speed 2. similarly for 55-300 on DX, it would be 1/450 Now many lenses have image stabilization/vibration reduction (VR) so if your lens is VR, you could probably shoot 2-3 stops below those speeds hand held

Haven't got a tripod yet but I might get one soon what is ideal shutter speed ?
shutter speed should be at least equivalent or faster to corresponding effective focal length to minimize shake . i.e effective focal length of 50mm [50 x1.5 ]=75mm on D5100 is equal to 75mm.So shutter should be 1/80th of sec of faster .[without VR=vibration reduction] Note : D5100 uses crop sensor so whatever focal length is written on lens should be multiplied by 1.5 to find the effective focal length . Exposure Chart : http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm You can see the chart in the bottom of the page .here you can see easily see the relationsip between iso ,shutter speed and F stop. or see this http://www.calculator.org/calculate-online/photography/exposure.aspx

Theoretically: your camera has an APS-C sensor, Nikon calls it 'DX', so you have multiply lens focal length times 1.5 Take your two lenses: 1. 18-55: the longest end is 55 so you should try to use 55*1.5= approx 1/80 as minimum hand held speed 2. similarly for 55-300 on DX, it would be 1/450 Now many lenses have image stabilization/vibration reduction (VR) so if your lens is VR, you could probably shoot 2-3 stops below those speeds hand held
I do have VR on all the time, never trun it off to the the difference :--D
shutter speed should be at least equivalent or faster to corresponding effective focal length to minimize shake . i.e effective focal length of 50mm [50 x1.5 ]=75mm on D5100 is equal to 75mm.So shutter should be 1/80th of sec of faster .[without VR=vibration reduction] Note : D5100 uses crop sensor so whatever focal length is written on lens should be multiplied by 1.5 to find the effective focal length . Exposure Chart : http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm You can see the chart in the bottom of the page .here you can see easily see the relationsip between iso ,shutter speed and F stop.
Thank you very much guys, I tried to edit photos but I a fan of Raw photos

I do have VR on all the time, never trun it off to the the difference :--D
well, when you are using a tripod, you should turn VR off :winky: All my lenses are without VR (and mind you some of them are expensive) :--D

well, when you are using a tripod, you should turn VR off :winky: All my lenses are without VR :--D
tripod is awesome cuz you can shoot from different angels, but just to carry it with you is a pain :--D and my camera screen rotates so sometimes I can use that if I am In live mode. too busy with work and school haven't got it out to take pics and the weather is right now not so good. I bet they are expensive. Simpson's fan ?

tripod is awesome cuz you can shoot from different angels, but just to carry it with you is a pain :--D and my camera screen rotates so sometimes I can use that if I am In live mode. too busy with work and school haven't got it out to take pics and the weather is right now not so good. I bet they are expensive. Simpson's fan ?
Don't forget that using tripod teaches you a lot too but yeah they are a pain to carry around. they can be worth it, if you can take some great shots at slow speeds or in low light I have a couple of Carl Zeiss (28mm and 50mm) and a Rokinon (85mm) .... while Zeiss are expensive, Rokinon is pretty decently priced .... all of them are MF Oh yeah, Simpsons

Don't forget that using tripod teaches you a lot too but yeah they are a pain to carry around. they can be worth it, if you can take some great shots at slow speeds or in low light I have a couple of Carl Zeiss (28mm and 50mm) and a Rokinon (85mm) .... while Zeiss are expensive, Rokinon is pretty decently priced .... all of them are MF Oh yeah, Simpsons
Zeiss are awesome and they can be used in Nikon as I progress and learn , I might purchase some other lenses but for now I will stick to these basic lenses

Zeiss are awesome and they can be used in Nikon as I progress and learn ' date=' I might purchase some other lenses but for now I will stick to these basic lenses[/quote'] Yep, it is always good to learn from what you hv, see what focal lengths you prefer and invest accordingly Btw, Zeiss makes ZF.2 line for Nikon which hv electronic chips on them