Ganguly UNSOLD at the IPL!

Jersey #10

All emotions aside here is something to chew upon. Basically people who are paying by the millions obviously will weigh upon a lot of things before deciding on who they want to bring in. -- Negative perception led to the Sourav Ganguly snub - Problems with coaches from Australia also contributed LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI Calcutta: An across the board “negative perception” and the fact that new franchises Pune and Kochi have Australians as coaches contributed significantly to Sourav Ganguly not making it even to the IPL’s re-auction, on Sunday. A well-placed source told The Telegraph: “Word has spread that Sourav’s difficult to handle... That he and his fans wouldn’t, for example, react well to his getting dropped. Rightly or wrongly, a negative perception could be sensed across the board in Bangalore...” One understands that a comparison was made with V.V.S. Laxman — that the current India star would accept things sportingly, not Sourav. Neither his emotional fans. Another equally well-placed source added: “Sourav’s run-ins with Greg Chappell and John Buchanan didn’t help... Geoff Marsh (Pune) and Geoff Lawson (Kochi) are from Australia and they may have categorically told the owners that they wouldn’t be comfortable with him in the dressing room...” That absolutely nobody bid for Sourav, a fate he shared with the likes of Brian Lara and Sanath Jayasuriya, must have come as a ‘relief’ to the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), which had given him icon status for the first three seasons of the IPL. “Some did assume that Pune (owned by the Roys of Sahara) would go all out for Sourav, for he’d come with a strong fan-base... But with that not happening, KKR would be breathing easy... “If KKR begin to perform, then Shah Rukh Khan won’t have to worry and the brand-building could continue minus Sourav... Problems may arise if the pattern so far gets repeated,” one of the well-placed sources pointed out. On paper, KKR have certainly bought well at the two-day auction and the franchise should start IPL IV as one of the favourites. Sourav didn’t take calls through the day, but somebody close to him suggested he wouldn’t take the initiative to act as a mentor to KKR. If KKR’s Venky Mysore, the CEO and MD, is to be believed, such a move would be welcomed. But, surely, it’s the franchise which (if actually interested) ought to take the first step. India’s most successful Test captain, one learns, is disappointed, but far from devastated. His motto, after all, is: Life goes on. In any case, Sourav will be judged by what he did for India and not what he couldn’t in the IPL.

Rickshaws would stop...taxis would take a break...trains wouldn't leave the platform.....
And not only these things, they even discussed in parliament when Ganguly was dropped from Indian squad. Its really unbelievable that people will disrupt a common man's life (Trains, taxis etc) or talk such unimportant stuff in parliament!! Its a game where players will be picked or dropped. Sure fans will be happy or upset. But all these extreme reactions causing headache to the common public need to be curbed and cannot be excused under "we are patriotic fans". Thats just unacceptable. Rail rokos are hooliganism especially for trivial issues like player selections.

"Kumble snubbing Dravid" :roll: "No way to treat a legend like Dada" :roll: Louda. Their team, their money, their choice. All the peeps complaining have the option of boycotting IPL.
You do realize tht ganguly is to bangol what sachin is to mumbai, the kind of love he has of the people? You dont disrespect people's love like that. Someone rightly said, srk should now remove 'kolkata' frm his franchise and the 'korbo lodbo jitbo' tag.

You do realize tht ganguly is to bangol what sachin is to mumbai' date=' the kind of love he has of the people? You dont disrespect people's love like that. Someone rightly said, srk should now remove 'kolkata' frm his franchise and the 'korbo lodbo jitbo' tag.[/quote'] If people feel disrespected that their fav player is not selected, then these people deserve to be disrespected.

Eden Gardens was outraged when sachin was given out wrongly against Pakistan in a test match. Sachin had to come out and appeal calm Eden Gardens was outraged and couldn't bear India losing in 1996 semifinals Eden Gardens protested when Kapil Dev was dropped people of this city are not just mere cricket fans watching the game with family and eating potato chips. They bring their heart and soul to the game and support the team with passion. And when you do injustice to the beloved son of that city you're bound to receive fightback
Yep...that's where the problem is. They do not support the game, they support and worship few individuals in the team. That is called individual worship, not the love towards game.

You do realize tht ganguly is to bangol what sachin is to mumbai' date=' the kind of love he has of the people? You dont disrespect people's love like that. Someone rightly said, srk should now remove 'kolkata' frm his franchise and the 'korbo lodbo jitbo' tag.[/quote'] The people are free to boycott the team. This is why you see SRK and others in damage-control mode trying to get Ganguly to be mentor to the team or smth. They want to appease the people. But their team selection was a purely business decision. Ganguly just can't perform. He had a pathetic strike rate, he is not agile in the field and on top of this is supposedly difficult to handle. I'll flip this around and say it is extortion if you are saying that Ganguly should be in the team or else...

The people are free to boycott the team. This is why you see SRK and others in damage-control mode trying to get Ganguly to be mentor to the team or smth. They want to appease the people. But their team selection was a purely business decision. Ganguly just can't perform. He had a pathetic strike rate, he is not agile in the field and on top of this is supposedly difficult to handle. I'll flip this around and say it is extortion if you are saying that Ganguly should be in the team or else...
I would say that ganguly is not that useless as you make him out to be. He could be fitted into ANY ipl team, he is WAY better than dravid n vvs. Srk should have sat down n sorted out the issues with him whether he'd like gangs to play in top order or middle order and the ego issues if there were any. People wouldnt mind if he were dropped in a game or two, but this decision obviously doesnt go well.

:haha::haha::haha:
wth is so funny? Dada is like Subhash Chandra Bose of Cricket for Bengal and Bengalis and no other cricketer from Bengal has achieved so much as him so obviously he's an icon of success
"Injustice"? What injustice? This is a league and their owners bid in auction based on what kind of team they want. They are paying big bucks for this, and they are fully entitled to the team and players they want to pay these big bucks for. I dont see any injustice in this. Injustice is if they are "arm twisted" into picking players by force, rather than by choice.
Did you follow last year's IPL? did you see how many times Dada went past 50? how many times he scored big for the team? Plus he's an icon for Calcutta...you're failing to understand that...people come to see him....just like MI fans come to the stadium, pay big bucks to see Sachin perform for his home city...Take out Sachin from MI line up and I would like to see how long the euphoria lasts
And not only these things' date=' they even discussed in [b']parliament when Ganguly was dropped from Indian squad. Its really unbelievable that people will disrupt a common man's life (Trains, taxis etc) or talk such unimportant stuff in parliament!! Its a game where players will be picked or dropped. Sure fans will be happy or upset. But all these extreme reactions causing headache to the common public need to be curbed and cannot be excused under "we are patriotic fans". Thats just unacceptable. Rail rokos are hooliganism especially for trivial issues like player selections.
you need to read carefully to what you have quoted. I was talking about back in 80s, 90s when life would stop whenever Team India would play and everyone would be extremely emotionally attached to those games unlike these days. No one supports hooliganism...digging up pitches by Shiv Sena would be an example of that.
Yep...that's where the problem is. They do not support the game' date=' they support and worship few individuals in the team. That is called individual worship, not the love towards game.[/quote'] Once again.... you fail to understand the impact of some of these players have on people. They have achieved super star status over the years and for many people they ARE bigger than the game and the team. Sourav Ganguly to bengal/kolkata is what Rajnikant to Chennai or Sachin to Mumbai ....what Azhar used to be for Hyd and Kapil Dev for Punjab

The people are free to boycott the team. This is why you see SRK and others in damage-control mode trying to get Ganguly to be mentor to the team or smth. They want to appease the people. But their team selection was a purely business decision. Ganguly just can't perform. He had a pathetic strike rate, he is not agile in the field and on top of this is supposedly difficult to handle. I'll flip this around and say it is extortion if you are saying that Ganguly should be in the team or else...
That's not a business decision...whoever advised the team to NOT pick Ganguly for KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS should be fired just for his stupidity. You take out Ganguly....you take out Kolkata's support from KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS not Kanpur Knight Riders. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Can anyone imagine Sachin playing for Chennai or Hyderabad and NOT mumbai? WTF? Could anyone have imagined Bret Favre would leave Green Bay Packers in NFL !!!! Did you see the outcry ? Even though the US sporting culture doesn't connect players with their hometown but after playing for 15 yrs people associated him with Green Bay only

tex1des, you think KKR is stupid to get rid of Ganguly if they think he can still help them win? you can't keep a guy in the team just cause he is from there, no matter how legendary. he must add some value to the team winning, more than just getting a bunch of die hard fans to the stadium. In the end it is about winning, cause no fan base is stupid enough to go see a losing team just cause their fav son is playing. May be the effigy burning crowd won't turn up, but in the end the game is bigger than any individual. Does Ganguly really care about these effigy burning idiots? He will probably be busy chartering his next course of action in his life once he gets over this recent auction snub. The Brett Favre example is a wrong one cause Favre was still helping them win. Joe Montana, the legendary QB of SF went on to play for KC before he retired. It happens more often than you think here in the US. It is all about winning.

Yoda you can't blame KKR's demise on Dada. We had Ishant Sharma, Akash Chopra!!! Ajit Agarkar!! Trifecta of losers along with unavailability of Gayle and McCullum. Hodge failing to hit when needed...David Hussey failing quite a few times. Dada has played reasonably well and he also bowled a few overs for the team. So don't tell me he has no value for the team and he is not worth the money. He was the 3rd Highest run getter in IPL 3 !!! The FACT that a lot of IPL teams have Aussie coaches also explains the fact why he didn't attract any bid from those teams. They all know Dada is no pushover and Buchanan and Chapel will tell you that.

Arrogance and negativity were part of his career from day one I believe. I remember when he was actually dropped in 1992 for four long years right after his first series was because of his attitude. I still faintly remember reading that Ganguly was dropped in 1992 mainly because of his arrogant attitude towards the seniors and the on-tour team management. He made a comeback in 1996 which was his peak time. At the end of the 20th century, team India had hit the rock bottom. The team was in pieces because of the match fixing issues and also Sachin's resignation as the captain. The selectors had a few choices between Ganguly, Dravid and Kumble for captaincy I believe. Ganguly was outspoken and hard working which put him ahead of the rest in the captaincy race. His cavalier personality made him a great captain of his time. He played more mind games than he actually made runs. I still remember him going late for the toss to harass the opposing captains. He often made deceitful remarks after winning/losing the toss to play with the opposing captain's brain. Who can forget his all time famous taking the shirt off moment? He also tried to make partitions in the team especially between the new youngsters and the senior players at the end of his career. When the match fixing incident hit India, every player in the team was being investigated. When the bookies were asked about Ganguly's involvement, one bookie said that they wanted Ganguly to fix a few matches but no one had the courage to go to Ganguly and ask him to fix matches for India. I think that's when he got the name "DADA" for his dadagiri. The fact that he always believed that he was the best and much better the the rest made him a successful captain. He definitely taught others how to fight and how to win. He managed to bring a new wave of dignity and the feeling of victory during the first part of his captaincy. Dada will remain one of the best leaders we ever had :hatsoff: Thank you DADA. He doesn't need a filthy IPL contract to be considered one of the greats. He has his own status in the history of Indian cricket and will remain to be the "Dada" of Indian cricket for ever. DADA :hail:

OK,here's what I have to say: I support KKR and always will as long as the IPL exists.Even though KKR hasn't performed very well the last 3 years me and hundreds of thousands of other fans have still supported KKR.Me being a bengali from Kolkata also support KKR.Dada not playing in the IPL does affect me(and many others) but I still continue to support KKR and will watch all the IPL matches. I understand that Ganguly did play slowly last year(except for the last few matches).Although he improved his fielding last year his slow batting really let him down.But why the hell did KKR pick Yusuf Pathan for 2.1 million:omg:.Sure he can play innings like his 100(37) but other than that he scored next to nothing in the remaining matches last year.Blindfolded Dada batting with one arm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Yusuf Pathan.And if KKR or Pune did not have any interest in him they should have told him earlier and Dada would probably have retired from all cricket happily and play the kind of role Kumble does for RCB.SRK and Dada should have talked about it beforehand. I still will support :kkr: nonetheless but it is still somewhat humiliating for the greatest captain of India to not be picked by his home team.I hope Dada will be remembered for his contribution to Indian cricket and not for being the one who was not picked by his home team when he retires from all forms of cricket.

Again, two completely different things. are you in a mood to fill this thread with such chootiy@chhaap posts today?
I don't know - depends on whether a city boos my country because a player from there was not selected or lights the stadium on fire in one of the biggest sporting spectacles the country has hosted.