IPL= increase foreign players in XI quota ?

hari504504

In regards to the comparison between Premier league' date=' isnt the increase in number of foreign players over the last few years the reason given for the downfall of English football ? Besides, is the the premier league even owned by the English football association?[/quote']

In regards to the comparison between Premier league' date=' isnt the increase in number of foreign players over the last few years the reason given for the downfall of English football ? Besides, is the the premier league even owned by the English football association?[/quote'] English football is a big joke ! ..to attribute its fall to BPL is an even bigger joke :haha:. Just think about it...this English team can field XI top stars in BPL in its XI..just that they can't seem to play as a unit no matter what. But this isn't the football thread so we'll take this debate elsewhere :winky: IPL teams bid for players not with just a view to win, but also marketability... they are forced to only focus on the Indian market(albeit sizeable) because of the quota. If you remove the quota, these teams will start looking at a global profile. An IPL team with mediocre indian players wont do much in the global market in terms of selling jerseys etc.. if you wore an IPL jersey whose name would you like on the back - Chris Gayle or say someone like Saurabh Tiwary ? - Gayle would carry the owner's brand farther than Tiwary by a lightyear. To me, T20 is not cricket. It is simply entertainment like WWE. IPL does not feed our national team in terms of test or ODI players - its the Ranjis that do so. If the quota keeps out mediocre indian players and only gives players a chance solely on their performance and not passport - then this will only give our domestic players the impetus to do well for the country and then feature in IPL and not the other way round. I hate seeing young batters throwing technique into the wind and start 'mastering' across the line slogs which gives them a snowball's chance in hell of cutting it in the longer formats(real cricket !) in international cricket. Removing the quota is a Win-Win all the way for everyone (money gets spread more fairly). As for the EPL football, the Premier league is collectively owned by all the clubs - but FA holds considerable sway including a veto on rules as a special shareholder. That means that if EU had not slammed the 6+5 rule as 'contravening EU labor laws' (hint hint) and if FA had decided to go with FIFA on it, EPL would have had no option but to enforce it. Then we would have seen in EPL what we see in IPL today - disgustingly overpriced local talent on the field like bamby on ice. :band:

If the quota is removed then what would be the point of INDIAN Premier League - all the teams would have a majority of foreigners. Also, if the quota is removed then IMO only the top Indian players (i.e. the ones playing for the national team) would get a chance and the upcoming players would simply be ignored in favor of established international stars.

If the quota is removed then what would be the point of INDIAN Premier League - all the teams would have a majority of foreigners. Also' date=' if the quota is removed then IMO only the top Indian players (i.e. the ones playing for the national team) would get a chance and the upcoming players would simply be ignored in favor of established international stars.[/quote'] we will have a truly global spectacle on our hands. I don't see why upcoming players should be included in the teams whether they are good or bad :confused:. Upcoming players need to show they are good enough to get picked. Agreed it is our league and all..but don't we want a league of a good standard when our name is associated with it ? Players need to be picked only by merit and nothing else - at the end of the day..a global Indian phenomenon will help our Economy too.

To me, T20 is not cricket. It is simply entertainment like WWE.
Agreed it is our league and all..but don't we want a league of a good standard when our name is associated with it ?
See the contradiction ? Its like ur discussing big boss or that kardashian show but with Brangelina in it.
Play some invited teams from various countries. 3 - 4 more teams playing under two groups will look more sexxy
This is plain annoying, every week some lad brings out a brilliant idea .. have you heard of this ? http://clt20.com/CLT20/

we will have a truly global spectacle on our hands. I don't see why upcoming players should be included in the teams whether they are good or bad :confused:. Upcoming players need to show they are good enough to get picked. Agreed it is our league and all..but don't we want a league of a good standard when our name is associated with it ? Players need to be picked only by merit and nothing else - at the end of the day..a global Indian phenomenon will help our Economy too.
Because it is BCCI's job to work for the betterment of Cricket in India and Indian players. If we have a no quota league, then do you think someone like Badrinath will get 850,000 $? If you want to watch a league with only international players, then watch international cricket. This is domestic cricket. The standard is high enough that we won the Champions league.

Because it is BCCI's job to work for the betterment of Cricket in India and Indian players. If we have a no quota league, then do you think someone like Badrinath will get 850,000 $? If you want to watch a league with only international players, then watch international cricket. This is domestic cricket. The standard is high enough that we won the Champions league.
First you need to tell me how IPL is contributing to the 'betterment' of Indian cricket and its players ?..financially yes I agree. But do you really think taking unproven youngsters to the brink of financial retirement for 2 hours of 'fun cricket' is somehow going to encourage them to do well in long gruelling ranji matches under the hot sun just to get the test cap ? Btw, why would I be happy if Badrinath gets 850,000 0r 10,000 ?..he should get what he deserves and that is certainly not 850,000 !! In a few years our domestic cricket will be left with a bunch of slog-happy batters and dart throwing spinners whose only aim is to make a truckload of cash in IPL which could potentially match what they would earn if they put in their hard miles and earn an Indian cap.

See the contradiction ? Its like ur discussing big boss or that kardashian show but with Brangelina in it. http://clt20.com/CLT20/
Let me clarify : no matter who plays in T20..be it the best players or the worst. T20 is not cricket and I stand by it !.. T20 is pure entertainment - never judge a batter or bowler by how he does in it. Now the 'entertainment' can be of a better quality if we see proven international stars play in it as opposed to mediocre Indian domestic players (I am not saying that everyone is mediocre - but you know who i am talking about) Now given the you are watching 'entertainment' -What would you rather watch - Jadeja/XYZ scoring a quickfire 40 with 75% of his runs coming from edges through where the slip should have been in an ODI or the same 40 by Gayle ?. And the travesty of Jadeja getting close to a million dollars ??..now surely you can't stand by that rubbish. I will not hire a mediocre Indian in my firm as opposed to a significantly better candidate from a different country just based on the face that one has an Indian passport. And I will hate anyone who does that kind of hogwash in the name of patriotism. As for IPL being for the 'betterment' of Indian cricket :haha: - Denial is not just a river in Egypt

^^ Since you consider it entertainment, let's compare it to the Indian movie industry. Would you have rather see Indian artists there or a bunch of hollywood imports? Let's assume the hollywood imports in discussion can act better, direct better, produce better than the local ones.

First you need to tell me how IPL is contributing to the 'betterment' of Indian cricket and its players ?..financially yes I agree.
You answered your question. They put more money into the players bank accounts and from the profits of the IPL, they have even increased the pay packets in ranji games. They have also poured money into the stadiums. That is the BCCI's job. You,I or BCCI have no right to demand what the player wants to do with his life. Whether he wants to retire with his IPL money or put in the hard work for test cricket is entirely up to him. Who the hell are you to decide what a player deserves? Seriously...I can say that you dont deserve whatever you get in salary for your job. Who the hell am i to say that? If your boss and company feel that you are worth it, then it is upto them. Regarding you hiring someone irrespective of their nationality,I hope you have heard about work visa,because, you just cannot hire a foreigner without due diligence. Every company has a quota system. In Europe for example, the company has to prove that they cannot find an appropriate local candidate before they can hire a foreigner.

You answered your question. They put more money into the players bank accounts and from the profits of the IPL, they have even increased the pay packets in ranji games. They have also poured money into the stadiums. That is the BCCI's job. You,I or BCCI have no right to demand what the player wants to do with his life. Whether he wants to retire with his IPL money or put in the hard work for test cricket is entirely up to him. Who the hell are you to decide what a player deserves? Seriously...I can say that you dont deserve whatever you get in salary for your job. Who the hell am i to say that? If your boss and company feel that you are worth it, then it is upto them. Regarding you hiring someone irrespective of their nationality,I hope you have heard about work visa,because, you just cannot hire a foreigner without due diligence. Every company has a quota system. In Europe for example, the company has to prove that they cannot find an appropriate local candidate before they can hire a foreigner.
Don't bring stadiums into the pitcture -we are talking about players only . If IPL should be held throughout the subcontinent is a seperate thread altogether When I was a fresh grad, if an Indian company offered me a million dollar package for an entry-level job while more experienced proven performers in the company form other countries were being paid less - do you think that would be called fair. Or would there be resentment ? Going by your scale of 'deserving' - everyone currently in the world is getting what they deserve ! You are twisting the whole premise of this discussion - "if your boss and company feel you are worth it " - now pray tell me why do they feel 'you are worth it' -its because of the quota innit ? We can circular-reason this argument till the cows come home. Regarding the visa, I don't think Indian immigration policies are the ones that inspired the quota. The only argument I've heard so far about IPL even in the official website is - the betterment of indian cricket, which isn't happening. I also do not believe that someone like Roach would have had a visa problem(of all the things in the world) if he was picked in the auctions. The exceptions are ofcourse the Pakistani players.

Don't bring stadiums into the pitcture -we are talking about players only . If IPL should be held throughout the subcontinent is a seperate thread altogether When I was a fresh grad, if an Indian company offered me a million dollar package for an entry-level job while more experienced proven performers in the company form other countries were being paid less - do you think that would be called fair. Or would there be resentment ? Going by your scale of 'deserving' - everyone currently in the world is getting what they deserve ! You are twisting the whole premise of this discussion - "if your boss and company feel you are worth it " - now pray tell me why do they feel 'you are worth it' -its because of the quota innit ? We can circular-reason this argument till the cows come home. Regarding the visa, I don't think Indian immigration policies are the ones that inspired the quota. The only argument I've heard so far about IPL even in the official website is - the betterment of indian cricket, which isn't happening. I also do not believe that someone like Roach would have had a visa problem(of all the things in the world) if he was picked in the auctions. The exceptions are ofcourse the Pakistani players.
I bought the Visa in to show that the world operates on quotas. Visa is itself a quota. Take that as an analogy. I thought you would understand that. Players visa has nothing to do with it. To be more specific, companies and universities have quotas too. They have a % of foreigners they can recruit, % of ethnicity (I hope you dont bring players color in next). There are even many countries that pay lesser for foreigners than locals for the same job. Arent you aware of that? You are the one who said that players dont deserve it, so i asked you, do you think you deserve your salary? If you ask me the same back, it only means that your first question is flawed and you understand it. So why ask the players that?

You are the one who said that players dont deserve it, so i asked you, do you think you deserve your salary? If you ask me the same back, it only means that your first question is flawed and you understand it. So why ask the players that?
Considering my academic record and experience in reputed firms -yes my pay is justified. But you know when it would not be justified ? - when I was a fresh grad and if a company walks up to me with a million dollay pay package which dwarfs the ones of my experienced peers.(Thought I answered that already -with the fresh grad analogy).

Considering my academic record and experience in reputed firms -yes my pay is justified. But you know when it would not be justified ? - when I was a fresh grad and if a company walks up to me with a million dollay pay package which dwarfs the ones of my experienced peers.(Thought I answered that already -with the fresh grad analogy).
If you could do the same job you do today back then, will it be justified to get the same pay you get now back then? In IPL, experience really isnt a big factor at all. This is T20, not tests.

I bought the Visa in to show that the world operates on quotas. Visa is itself a quota. Take that as an analogy. I thought you would understand that. Players visa has nothing to do with it. To be more specific' date=' companies and universities have quotas too. They have a % of foreigners they can recruit, % of ethnicity (I hope you dont bring players color in next). There are [b']even many countries that pay lesser for foreigners than locals for the same job. Arent you aware of that?
The examples you have in mind are probably developed countries(home) vs people moving there from developing/under developed countries. Sure the 'foreigners' in this case will be inclined to accept a lower pay because after currency conversion it is still a significant amoutn compared to what they earn at home. In this case they have Quotas so that companies don't completely hire cheap foreign labour to replace local employees who need a bigger up-keep. How can you even start comparing that with what is happening in IPL is beyond me.

@Hari FOr you T20 is not cricket than what it is kabaddi?:haha:...what a ridiculous argument..T20 is a kind of cricket where u need some different skills too. Everyone cannot be successful in T20 like in tests or ODIs...bowlers need adjustments, batsmen need to play more aggressively...many Test batsmen are not fit in T20 and many T20 players are not fit in tests...though test is best for me...but you cannot say that T20 is fluke or any one can be successful in T2 because it also needs good skill to perform well...the players who are talented will survive but who are not good enough will not whether it is T20, ODI, or test.... and if you think T20 cricket does not need any kind of talent or skills than you are making fool of yourself....it may be entertainment..it may be a tamasha, but to create that entertainment and tamasha cricketers playing that need to have talent...without talent there is no T20, no ODI, or test...we may not judge a player based on T20 to plays test, but these are two different forms of the game...judge a player for only T20 or ODI based on his performance in T20 tourny not for test and same is with test, judge a player based on FC for tests, not based on T20

If you could do the same job you do today back then' date=' will it be justified to get the same pay you get now back then? In IPL, experience really isnt a big factor at all. This is T20, not tests.[/quote'] Well I can tell myself that. But who else will be convinced that my work then can match what a 10-year experienced peer can produce. Infact I don't think I would've done anything but sink if I was put into my current role when I was a fresh grad. IPL is still about winning the so called cricket matches - getting bat to ball and shattering stumps, taking catches,running em out etc. Who has the higher probability of scoring more - a proven ODI veteran or some young player from domestics, so who could potentially win them a higher percentage of matches ?