Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

Zelig, I know that German mysticism, philosophy and occult practices are really important and interesting topics of discussion. However, this thread is not for all that. That all can be discussed here http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=261273&page=6 This thread is reserved to discuss the mental problems of wannabe football fans and the negative impact that football has on society as a whole. Case in point, the country of Brazil. The nation has a population of 20 crores and the only people that an average Joe/Jenny can name from that country are 1) Pele 2) Romero 3) Late Cut 4) Carlos ( common name, there must be a famous Carlos) 5) Marcos ( same as Carlos) Honestly, without the help of google/ wikipedia, how many of you can name non footballer Brazilians? In proportion to her population, do you think Brazil exerts the cultural force that it should? These are very pertinent social questions. Don't mean to offend any Brazilians here, but you know something is really wrong with the country if 4 of the 5 most famous people from the place are footballers. This is what happens when people follow football.What misplaced priorities!!! :((

Mariyam, what would give the ordinary man of a country more pleasure - beautiful women or the odd world famous personalities like Tagore, Khurana, or Ambani? I think in your bourgeois pursuit you are missing how football has been responsible for improving the beauty of women of nations, which brings tangible happiness to the common man. An immediate benefit would be reduction in domestic violence - a person would think more than twice before beating up on someone beautiful.

Zelig, I know that German mysticism, philosophy and occult practices are really important and interesting topics of discussion. However, this thread is not for all that. That all can be discussed here http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=261273&page=6
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
This thread is reserved to discuss the mental problems of wannabe football fans and the negative impact that football has on society as a whole. Case in point, the country of Brazil. The nation has a population of 20 crores and the only people that an average Joe/Jenny can name from that country are 1) Pele 2) Romero 3) Late Cut 4) Carlos ( common name, there must be a famous Carlos) 5) Marcos ( same as Carlos) Honestly, without the help of google/ wikipedia, how many of you can name non footballer Brazilians? In proportion to her population, do you think Brazil exerts the cultural force that it should? These are very pertinent social questions. Don't mean to offend any Brazilians here, but you know something is really wrong with the country if the 4 of the 5 most famous people from the country are footballers. This is what happens when people follow football.What misplaced priorities!!! :((
I know the name of the former President - Lula Da Silva - a Non Footballer and the current President - Dilma Rousseff - a Non Footballer :--D But seriously, this is quite preposterous, you are trying to link football to anything and everything. You earlier gave the example of countries like Germany and England and said that England lost its empire and Germany stopped producing philosophers, scientists etc since football became popular, now in the same vein I can also say that Brazil as a country has only made real progress in the last 40-50 years and thats because football has been, by far the most popular hobby of the people there :hysterical:

Mariyam, what would give the ordinary man of a country more pleasure - beautiful women or the odd world famous personalities like Tagore, Khurana, or Ambani? I think in your bourgeois pursuit you are missing how football has been responsible for improving the beauty of women of nations, which brings tangible happiness to the common man. An immediate benefit would be reduction in domestic violence - a person would think more than twice before beating up on someone beautiful.
:hail:

Even though I am awaiting scientific evidence ( duly attested by the Mumbai HC) to back up your ' football increases natural beauty of women' claim, I will take your word because I know that you argue with the best of intentions. Assuming that your claim is correct, still the fact remains that most monuments to the beauty of women are from the Pre Football era. And these are not just bourgeois monuments, but monuments of the common man. The Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China , Caves at Khujraho and Ajanta, Stonehenge, Colosseum, Mt.Fuji and many more were built to celebrate women and their beauty. The Ram Setu was built for Sita. The Pyramids were built for the Pharoah's mommy. I could go on. How many such architectural masterpieces have we seen since the beginning of the post football era that can be associated with women? Just Bandra Worli sea link, and that also only so that Kareena Kapoor could reach the studios faster. The writing is on the wall football fans. All you have to do is open your eyes and see it.

I know the name of the former President - Lula Da Silva - a Non Footballer and the current President - Dilma Rousseff - a Non Footballer :--D
Thats just 2 people from a population of 20 crores. And I think you are making names up here. Lula da Silva???? I didn't ask you who captains the Sri Lankan handicap people's cricket team.

Thats just 2 people from a population of 20 crores. And I think you are making names up here. Lula da Silva???? I didn't ask you who captains the Sri Lankan handicap people's cricket team.
please go and check it. I'm not in the habit of making up names. I'm interested in whats happening around the world so I know these names :--D As for just 2 people from a population of 20 crores, its usually the famous people whose names the general people know (and in case of Brazil, those famous people are footballers) - you're asking Indians to name famous people from Brazil, so what do you expect - how (and why) would they know the name of the people of Brazil??? You go and ask Americans to name people from, say, France - lets see how many people they're able to name - they would most probably name the film stars and sports stars of the country :dontknow:

The Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China , Caves at Khujraho and Ajanta, Stonehenge, Colosseum, Mt.Fuji and many more were built to celebrate women and their beauty. The Ram Setu was built for Sita. The Pyramids were built for the Pharoah's mommy. I could go on. How many such architectural masterpieces have we seen since the beginning of the post football era that can be associated with women? Just Bandra Worli sea link, and that also only so that Kareena Kapoor could reach the studios faster. The writing is on the wall football fans. All you have to do is open your eyes and see it.
How can you compile a list of modern architectural masterpieces built for women without a mention of Antilia? How can you overlook the fact that Bill Gates has donated billions of dollars to the poor because his wife wanted to do charity? How many hungry stomachs did the pyramids fill? It is rumored that the arms of everyone involved in the construction of the Taj Mahal was cut off. The equivalent of the caves at Khajuraho and Ajanta is the flourishing Hollywood and Bollywood industries with much greater reach and mass appeal. How many people have been to Khajuraho and how many have witnessed Munni's badnaami? Because Kareen Kapoor can reach studios faster she can star in more movies, to bring more pleasure to the common man. Where would all this be without football!

please go and check it. I'm not in the habit of making up names. I'm interested in whats happening around the world so I know these names :--D
Ehhhhh. :headshake::headshake::dash1: It feels bad when people don't get the joke, no matter how pathetic it maybe.
As for just 2 people from a population of 20 crores, its usually the famous people whose names the general people know (and in case of Brazil, those famous people are footballers) - you're asking Indians to name famous people from Brazil, so what do you expect - how (and why) would they know the name of the people of Brazil??? You go and ask Americans to name people from, say, France - lets see how many people they're able to name - they would most probably name the film stars and sports stars of the country :dontknow:
While I'm no expert on American general knowledge/ignorance standards and their levels of stupidity, I am sure that an average American will be able to name more non football French people than an average Indian* (or American) would be able to name non football Brazilians. And Brazil is almost 3-4 times as populous as France. Worth pondering over. * You of course are much above average, when it comes to Indian people. But you can name only 2 such Brazilians.

Zelig, I know that German mysticism, philosophy and occult practices are really important and interesting topics of discussion. However, this thread is not for all that. That all can be discussed here http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=261273&page=6 This thread is reserved to discuss the mental problems of wannabe football fans and the negative impact that football has on society as a whole. Case in point, the country of Brazil. The nation has a population of 20 crores and the only people that an average Joe/Jenny can name from that country are 1) Pele 2) Romero 3) Late Cut 4) Carlos ( common name, there must be a famous Carlos) 5) Marcos ( same as Carlos) Honestly, without the help of google/ wikipedia, how many of you can name non footballer Brazilians? In proportion to her population, do you think Brazil exerts the cultural force that it should? These are very pertinent social questions. Don't mean to offend any Brazilians here, but you know something is really wrong with the country if 4 of the 5 most famous people from the place are footballers. This is what happens when people follow football.What misplaced priorities!!! :((
Late Cut= Ronaldo; I have been told I look like him multiple times by random cab drivers, family members, and women, including long, detalied conversations on football. :haha: Though you are discounting Wiki, please do look at the list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilians And please do "research" the famous models (both men and women). The research will definitely be enlightening and supportive of the evolutionary theory of attractiveness in football playing nations. Edit: Doh, I just supported Mariyam's hypothesis.

Zelig, I know that German mysticism, philosophy and occult practices are really important and interesting topics of discussion. However, this thread is not for all that. That all can be discussed here http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=261273&page=6
nikky bava started it :hitler:
Honestly, without the help of google/ wikipedia, how many of you can name non footballer Brazilians? In proportion to her population, do you think Brazil exerts the cultural force that it should? These are very pertinent social questions.
:nono: I beg to differ. Adrina Lima, Gisele Bundchen and Jose Padilha (dir: Bus 174, Elite Squad) are all Brazilians.

While I'm no expert on American general knowledge/ignorance standards and their levels of stupidity, I am sure that an average American will be able to name more non football French people than an average Indian* (or American) would be able to name non football Brazilians. And Brazil is almost 3-4 times as populous as France. Worth pondering over. * You of course are much above average, when it comes to Indian people. But you can name only 2 such Brazilians.
looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :icflove: If you ask an American to name some Indians, I can almost guarantee you that the only Indians he/she will be able to name are the film stars or sports stars (in that also mainly bollywood and cricket respectively). Now according to your theory, if football can lead to the downfall of the British Empire and Germany's inability to produce scientists and philosophers then certainly some of India's problems today are due to the popularity of cricket/bollywood :hmmm:

l If you ask an American to name some Indians, I can almost guarantee you that the only Indians he/she will be able to name are the film stars or sports stars
When Americans will be asked to name Indians they'll come up with names like Chief Big Bow Chief Big Eagle Chief Buffalo Good Chief Big Robber Chief Big Tree Chief Broken Arrow Chief Rain-In-The-Face Chief Pocahontas :hysterical::hysterical:

When Americans will be asked to name Indians they'll come up with names like Chief Big Bow Chief Big Eagle Chief Buffalo Good Chief Big Robber Chief Big Tree Chief Broken Arrow Chief Rain-In-The-Face Chief Pocahontas :hysterical::hysterical:
:haha:

Very valid point..!! If there was no football in Brazil, I am sure, country would have been full of famous personalities, the way other contries of similar populations but no football are. For an example, Indonesia (population =23 Crore). Mariyam can very easily name 10 Indonesian fanmous personalities, in a breath, without even thinking about Google, Wikipedia or any other such source. Isn't it Mariyam??

^^^ I'm not upto date on current events/ global issues. Generally I'm more into reading matters of vital national importance like Bolly related news, Sudoku, comic strips, horoscope, weather and traffic updates. Even then, from the top of my head: 1) Ananda Tur: Was gifted a collection of his stories. Boring as hell stuff. 2) Ploenchiniputri ( spelling?): She is a famous dancer, and has danced in the background in many Bolly movies too. Does solo dances also. The ones who are involved with SDIPA will know about her. She teaches there. Or at least used to teach the advanced batches some years ago. 3) Couple of Islamic scholars, from that region. But I'm not sure if they were from what is today Malaysia or Indonesia. More than the non football Brazilians I know :winky:

^^^ I'm not upto date on current events/ global issues. Generally I'm more into reading matters of vital national importance like Bolly related news, Sudoku, comic strips, horoscope, weather and traffic updates. Even then, from the top of my head: 1) Ananda Tur: Was gifted a collection of his stories. Boring as hell stuff. 2) Ploenchiniputri ( spelling?): She is a famous dancer, and has danced in the background in many Bolly movies too. Does solo dances also. The ones who are involved with SDIPA will know about her. She teaches there. Or at least used to teach the advanced batches some years ago. 3) Couple of Islamic scholars, from that region. But I'm not sure if they were from what is today Malaysia or Indonesia. More than the non football Brazilians I know :winky:
But, but, you know me personally!