Fav Indian cities

Mariyam

How can any city that doesn’t have a beach even be in contention? No beach = EPIC :fail: Where else can you go with your buddies at 6 am in the morning during the summer holidays and pretend to be jonty and dive around for catches? Where else can you play with the sea waves? Where else can you go as kid a and fly those cute little box-type kites, or take a ride in those numerous mini-rides, or shoot balloons with blanks or take pictures alongside the lifesize cut-outs of your favorite movie stars? Where else can you go taste those sizzling hot onion/potato/bell pepper bhajjis, soaked in steaming coconut chutney, with the strong scent of the sea breeze filling the air? Where else can you go if you need a moment of contemplation, with only solitude and the sound of the waves hitting the shores for company? Above all, where else can you possibly go to see couples of every shape and stripe, right from excited high school students to mature oldies, ‘indulge’ in themselves? :laugh: I am sorry, if your city doesn’t have a beach, I have news for you – You didn’t live in a city. It was just one big concrete jungle. :finger:
IMG_0478.JPG

How can any city that doesn’t have a beach even be in contention? No beach = EPIC :fail: Where else can you go with your buddies at 6 am in the morning during the summer holidays and pretend to be jonty and dive around for catches? Where else can you play with the sea waves? Where else can you go as kid a and fly those cute little box-type kites, or take a ride in those numerous mini-rides, or shoot balloons with blanks or take pictures alongside the lifesize cut-outs of your favorite movie stars? Where else can you go taste those sizzling hot onion/potato/bell pepper bhajjis, soaked in steaming coconut chutney, with the strong scent of the sea breeze filling the air? Where else can you go if you need a moment of contemplation, with only solitude and the sound of the waves hitting the shores for company? Above all, where else can you possibly go to see couples of every shape and stripe, right from excited high school students to mature oldies, ‘indulge’ in themselves? :laugh: I am sorry, if your city doesn’t have a beach, I have news for you – You didn’t live in a city. It was just one big concrete jungle. :finger:
cities with beaches - EPIC :fail: :fail: not a single beach in India is clean and in most of these cities the temperature is almost always humid :headshake:

cities with beaches - EPIC :fail: :fail: not a single beach in India is clean and in most of these cities the temperature is almost always humid :headshake:
See, I can immediately tell your ‘city’ doesn’t have a beach.. Else, you wouldn’t be saying these things. It is beyond doubt, THE BEST place to hang out, whether by yourself, or with buddies or with someone ‘special’. :winky: Nothing else comes close.

I find it laughable that people are stating that slums etc. do not impact quality of life in a city and somehow consider discussing the reality of poverty to be insensitive to those who are poor. By and large, I am sure those that do live in the slums do not see anything positive or worthwhile about their existence, no matter what the city, and as such, it's not something that can be ignored. It is a valid point that mumbai, as an example, has some of the largest slums in the world, i've only seen similar conditions in Sao Paulo and Dakka; people don't choose to stay in slums, it is rather a matter of being bereft of choice. Anyway, most middle/upper class Indians are so conditioned to the plight of poverty that they barely notice it, and rarely if ever do anything about it. I also find it interesting Ithat a lot of indians get quite offended when an article or TV program or movie focuses on the dire situation of the poor in India ( be it child prostitution, beggars or whatnot) and what i hear is that "that's not what india is like!." Well, that might not be our reality. but it is the reality for a lot of the masses in India. As for best cities to live in, here you go: http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/cities-best-live-lifestyle-real-estate-best-places-to-live_slide_21.html

Living in a city without a beach, is like having a full course dinner without having dessert. Sure, you maybe had a tasty/sumptuous meal, but you never really know what it feels like, to leave the dining table with a feeling of content. :winky:

I find it laughable that people are stating that slums etc. do not impact quality of life in a city and somehow consider discussing the reality of poverty to be insensitive to those who are poor. By and large, I am sure those that do live in the slums do not see anything positive or worthwhile about their existence, no matter what the city, and as such, it's not something that can be ignored. It is a valid point that mumbai, as an example, has some of the largest slums in the world, i've only seen similar conditions in Sao Paulo and Dakka; people don't choose to stay in slums, it is rather a matter of being bereft of choice. Anyway, most middle/upper class Indians are so conditioned to the plight of poverty that they barely notice it, and rarely if ever do anything about it. I also find it interesting Ithat a lot of indians get quite offended when an article or TV program or movie focuses on the dire situation of the poor in India ( be it child prostitution, beggars or whatnot) and what i hear is that "that's not what india is like!." Well, that might not be our reality. but it is the reality for a lot of the masses in India. As for best cities to live in, here you go: http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/cities-best-live-lifestyle-real-estate-best-places-to-live_slide_21.html
You need to chill out or at least understand the context of the thread and most of the posts in it. The thread is about which city someone likes living in and why. Care to explain how the size of the slums in a city influence your life and your like/dislike for a city? Yeah, Bombay has large slums. Despite those large slums, if someone likes the culture and lifestyle of the place why do you have a problem with that and how does it equate to turning a blind eye to the conditions of people living in the slums? From your posts it appears that you have hardly even lived in India, they are so removed from reality.

You need to chill out or at least understand the context of the thread and most of the posts in it. The thread is about which city someone likes living in and why. Care to explain how the size of the slums in a city influence your life and your like/dislike for a city? Yeah, Bombay has large slums. Despite those large slums, if someone likes the culture and lifestyle of the place why do you have a problem with that and how does it equate to turning a blind eye to the conditions of people living in the slums? From your posts it appears that you have hardly even lived in India, they are so removed from reality.
Reality; interesting word, care to enlighten me on what the reality is that i was missing? As for the rest of what you said, you are absolutely right. My post was definitely off topic.

Reality; interesting word' date=' care to enlighten me on what the reality is that i was missing? As for the rest of what you said, you are absolutely right. My post was definitely off topic.[/quote'] This part :
I also find it interesting Ithat a lot of indians get quite offended when an article or TV program or movie focuses on the dire situation of the poor in India ( be it child prostitution, beggars or whatnot) and what i hear is that "that's not what india is like!." Well, that might not be our reality. but it is the reality for a lot of the masses in India.
The typical reaction you are referring to here is a NRI phenomenon. The middle/upper class (can't say about the extreme upper class) might ignore these things or might be too caught up in their own lives to give more than a cursory glance, but anyone living in India will not say "that's not what india is like!" because at some level or the other they personally experience these things. Anyhow, this was meant to be a chill out thread so I'll stop on these heavy talks.

This part : The typical reaction you are referring to here is a NRI phenomenon. The middle/upper class (can't say about the extreme upper class) might ignore these things or might be too caught up in their own lives to give more than a cursory glance, but anyone living in India will not say "that's not what india is like!" because at some level or the other they personally experience these things.
I dunno. The people i am referring to did/do spend a substantial amount of their lives in India and seem apathetic to what's going on around them. Then again, it is probably true that (not just in India, mind) most people are too caught up in their own lives to really give the issue more than a cursory glance.

Earlier' date=' when flying in to delhi n stepping out of the plane, one could clearly feel the heavy n polluted air n smokey skies . [b']Nowadays its very light air n clear skies....the changes have worked remarkably well....
You didn't open the window when the plane was still in the air, did you?