India without Kumble

The moment Kumble retires, i can see the Indian test team spiralling down the ICC Test rankings. He is the one who can target a particular batsman and be counted on dismiss him, he is the one who cleans up the tail when the rest of the hapless bowlers run out of steam, he is India's "go to" man no matter what the situation is. I am not going to bother with dishing out the superlatives as everyone is aware of how good he is but have you for a moment thought what India's test side will be like once he is gone ? The signs are already clear - reducing Banglastan to 116/6 and allowing them to recover to 238. All the more reason to give Chawla as many matches as impossible. He won't fill in Kumble's boots, but he does give India's toothless bowling attack a much needed "X-Factor" to stifle the opposition. Play the kid in Tests like these instead of wasting him in ODI's.

India in the recent years have been better in test cricket simply because they are able to bowl out the opposition twice in a test match. I believe the ODIs is a batters game. With out current batters lacking confidence and zeal no wonder we suck in ODIs. We have a decent bowling attack in Sree, Munaf, Zaheer and Kumble. Without Kumble the team looks like it lost about 60% of its resource in bowling. Sree and Munaf missing out pretty much means another 30% gone in the bowling attack. I agree with Pred, they should start using Chawla regularly in test cricket and slowly draft him in. It's all to do with experience and patience in test cricket. The lad has a good chance to learn on the job.

Ravi, Even Munaf, Zaheer and Sree combined can't equal one of Anil Kumble. The team won't take 20 wickets anywhere without him. All you have to do is remember all the Test matches India have won overseas - in each and every one of those victories, Kumble played a pivotal role in securing the victory. Even in India's last test win at Johannesburg, despite the tremendous efforts of Sreesanth - it wasn't secured on day 4 when Prince and Pollock were there. It looked like they could take SA all the way or bloody close at the very least, until Dravid's "go to" man Kumble knocked over both of them and carried India to victory. Zaheer, Munaf etc. don't have that power of will to take wickets when the pressure is on. Forget the prospect of Tendulkar and Dravid retiring - worry about Kumble. His absence will leave a far bigger void.

Pred. Kumble's importance can not be overstated. What worries me though is that even though any half-decent Indian fan would acknowledge that Kumble is the greatest match-winner in Indian history and that pound for pound he is the MVP in this Test team(certainly so at home), there has been little appreciation about that. We still are caught up with our aging Tendulkars, Dravids and Gangulys. It would have been great if that eternal ch&&&ya Harbhajan would have become half the bowler that Kumble was. As it is post-Kumble scenario looks pretty bleak to me. I am not so optimistic about this chap Chawla. I havent seen anything of him that impresses me, other than a good googly. Otherwise he is pretty average. xxx

Ravi, Even Munaf, Zaheer and Sree combined can't equal one of Anil Kumble. The team won't take 20 wickets anywhere without him. All you have to do is remember all the Test matches India have won overseas - in each and every one of those victories, Kumble played a pivotal role in securing the victory. Even in India's last test win at Johannesburg, despite the tremendous efforts of Sreesanth - it wasn't secured on day 4 when Prince and Pollock were there. It looked like they could take SA all the way or bloody close at the very least, until Dravid's "go to" man Kumble knocked over both of them and carried India to victory. Zaheer, Munaf etc. don't have that power of will to take wickets when the pressure is on. Forget the prospect of Tendulkar and Dravid retiring - worry about Kumble. His absence will leave a far bigger void.
Yup that's exactly what I said. Kumble is about 60% of the Indian bowling resource. Sreesanth, Munaf and the test put together are worth about 40%
Sachin >> Dravid. Kumble >> Sachin + Dravid. Simple as that.
Truth is very bitter but that one by CC is a fact. Hard to digest but that's the fact. Anil has won more games than both put together collectively in my opinion.
Dravid is to batting as Kumble is to bowling. Pretty much all our recent test wins are because of these two. Don't club Dravid with perennial chokers like Sachin and Ganguly.
Chokers like Sachin??? If he played for australia all of his test hundreds would have resulted in victories but he plays for india and so loses. Windies have not won a test outside of the windies in 7 years despite having allegedly the ultimate match winner in Lara!!!!!

Kumble has been invaluable to India and I think most cricket fans who follow the game a bit more than superficially will realize that. With Harbhajan perenially out of form, Powar nothing more than a good bowler, and Chawla young and not showing enough till now, our spin attack looks wobbly. The worst nightmare would be if Kumble picks up a serious injury at his age and this juncture of his career. Will be very tough for him to make a comeback but hopefully he will stick around for another couple of years till India finds someone to take over.

How long will he stick around for ? Maybe one or two seasons at best, if we are lucky that is. The team should start planning for a future without Kumble.

It would have been great if that eternal ch&&&ya Harbhajan would have become half the bowler that Kumble was. As it is post-Kumble scenario looks pretty bleak to me. xxx
Can we really write off Harbhajan ? He is still very young and has a long career ahead of him if he can stay fit. Let's not forget that Kumble was also cannon fodder away from home until his neck was put on the chopping block back in '04. On that first day of the Adelaide test when Australia finished at 400/5, his career was done. Fortunately he came back strongly on day 2 by knocking over the tail cheaply and eventually had one of his best overseas series ever. Up until that series, he and Harbhajan had similar averages away from home (approx 40). So is it really a good idea to abandon all hope for Harbhajan ?

We can't write off someone that has over 200 test wicket Pred but he seems to have forgotten how to take wickets. Harbhajan has played way too many ODIs and seems to have lost the ability to flight and turn. This happens to a lot of spin bowlers, the loop, drift and spin can disappear in no time. The problem with Harbhajan is that he has been given an opportunity to perform time and again in ODIs but he has not impressed at all. How on that basis can he be played in test cricket? Also his form has been lacking in test cricket hence he is no more the first choice spinner.

Oh please, who cares what he does in ODIs. I wish people would stop rating players as Test cricketers based on what they do in ODI's. BTW, Harbhajan was a key component of India's bowling attack during the winning streak. He wasn't taking wickets, but his economy rate was outstanding in almost every match. Remember Dhoni's ODI vs SL ? Every single Indian bowler got caned by Sangakkara but Harbhajan bowled superbly and finished his 10 overs with just 30 runs to his name. Kumble was NO BETTER as an ODI bowler either.