Why Indian kids are the worst behaved

Gambit

I can't believe some of you here are trying to compare the average Westerner to the elite Indian. Most of us are from elite India. If you want to compare the average Indian compare the upbringing of kids who are forced not to go to school but are made to do jhaadoo' date=' bartan at other people's homes, are made to work in beedi shops. Now that would be a fair comparison of love and upbringing, right?[/quote'] That unfortunately, is a complicated trap that has everything to do with economics and survival and nothing to do with care or affection. It is simply a question of nominal income being so low that unless every able bodied person earns some money, family cannot function. The same indian parents go to sleep routinely on empty stomach just so that child has something to eat. Western parents in same situation don't generally do that.

I still maintain job of an academic is the best in the world(minus the pay of course)
?!? Umm dude, you arnt supposed to be studying all year round- your brain needs a break too, ya know. Even universities are out for summer usually.

Let me state my experience. I coach a cricket team that consists of kids between the age group of 6-12. All the kids are keen cricketers and there is couple of Indian ones. One Indian kid is as little as 6 years and go knows how many times he has been hit by the bowling machine but still insists he wants to face the bowling machine set at 80 mph (no kidding and exaggeration here). I've asked this lad to wear as many protective gears as possible as you don't want to see a young one getting hit badly. The kid adheres to it and doesn't give his parent a little trouble. The parent goes a bit impatient when the little lad doesn't play like Tendulkar every day but the kid doesn't talk back and does better and better and better each day. Coaching this lad is the easiest of all simply because he hears to ya and tries to implement what you suggest. Now there is a 12 year old white lad who is pretty well behaved and plays in the same team as the 6 year old. He once got hit in his thigh while playing against the bowling machine and now he shies away from the bowling machine. He won't wear a thigh pad as he feels uncomfortable. He has huge mood swings too. Between balls he will be mocking around throwing the ball all over the place. No way can you say anything to better his cricket simply because he won't listen. You say anything to him he turns his face away. Sometimes when he is not happy he won't do a thing. Won't bowl, won't bat but will just be whiling his time away at the training session. His dad doesn't say a word but tries to convince him to go and enjoy the training but the lad won't do it. Another training session gone and another day wasted as for cricket training goes. I think BTW both have to pay to attend the training sessions. Now you figure out whose attitude is better and who is more focused? From what I have seen there is a huge difference the way kids are brought up. The Indian parents seem to have a lot of hold on their young ones and also the young ones are very focused even at a very young age. They don't usually get out of hand during their childhood. The parents seem to be a bit OTT what with huge expectations and aspirations but that seems to work for the kids pretty well. I would be surprised if someone reckons the Indian kids generally are brats.

To make sure that you know your stuff ? duh ?!? You arnt taught just to remember shyte so you can regurgitate in an exam hall. You are taught something coz you NEED to learn it. Its a given that you should know grade 9 stuff inside-out if you are in grade 10 and so on.
Do you seriously beleive that? Sorry it doesnt work that way. It is one thing to have an understanding of what one studied the last year, it is completely different to ask questions and be prepared to be given marks on basis of what you answer. As an example if I read about the history of India between 1000-1500 AD in IXth standard and that between 1600-2000 AD in Xth standard, should I have the knowledge of the exact dates of an event that transpired in the course for 9th standard when I am actually giving the Xth standard exams? xxxxx

Hmm its been a long time since i gave ICSE but i don't think the exams work like that. Let us say you have only one book which covers the entire 1000-2000 AD and it is one exam then you won't mind right? Now we break it up into two exams with the first covering half and the next covering both. Does that not sound like midterms and finals ?

Do you seriously beleive that? Sorry it doesnt work that way. It is one thing to have an understanding of what one studied the last year, it is completely different to ask questions and be prepared to be given marks on basis of what you answer. As an example if I read about the history of India between 1000-1500 AD in IXth standard and that between 1600-2000 AD in Xth standard, should I have the knowledge of the exact dates of an event that transpired in the course for 9th standard when I am actually giving the Xth standard exams? xxxxx
You gave a math example, i addressed that. Entirely different with other non-science/math fields. In science/math, you BUILD on the knowledge you already have, so that the knowledge you learnt is always relevant. I may not have used it in years but I am an engineer and i must therefore not say 'oo i learnt this 10 years ago, dont remember' when someone asks me pythagoras theorem. I did grade10 with ICSE- everything is within syllabus except in science, where they will give you questions from grade 9 stuff. I consider the Indian education system to be a little too extreme but its priorities are LOT better and sounder than western education systems, particularly in the K+12 levels. I will go as far as to say that Indian education system is better at every level up to Bachelor's. Maybe in engineering and some cutting-edge technology field it is slightly behind but overall, up to Bachelor's level, Indian education system is better. Period. Grad level onwards, where learning is also research and research equals money, the west is clearly far far ahead. But regardless, i have not heard any good reason why a child needs to have work experience in their teens more than their educational, social and physical (sports) development. And neither do i see how it is 'unfair' on anybody because everyone is a part of the cycle. You get looked after by your parents till you are in your 20s, you look after your kids till they are in their 20s, you look after your parents when they are really old. Kid continues the cycle. Everyone at some point is looked after and is looking after someone, unless someone happens to die young.

The same indian parents go to sleep routinely on empty stomach just so that child has something to eat. Western parents in same situation don't generally do that.
There are some like that but the majority is not like that. Thats the reality. Anyhow, my point is that in my experience with western people coming from similar backgrounds as most of us are ie. well educated coming from well educated families, the idea of "burden" etc. does not exist. They try to help each other out to the best way they can, specially Europeans have strong family ties. Their upbringing of kids is different from Indians but that in no way means or reflects that the parents consider them as some kind of a burden. As for the Indian education system, its pretty much cr@p. The selection to higher education is based on not what has been taught to you and how well you know that but on what is going to be taught in your future program. Can it get any dumber than that? I really doubt it. As a result you have teenagers going from one coaching to another, trying to find tricks to crack exams 12-14 hours a day instead of becoming well rounded individuals.

Guest dada_rocks

This is what happens when u are hard pressed to churn an article every week. This guy most probably had adeadline to meet saw juxtaposition of well-behaved brit kid and a brat india kid his eyes gleaned and said aha I got an article here but will have to use wide brush. Voila crap churned but deadline met after-all .

Too much of a generalisation by Vir Sangavi..... There are bound to be a few brats here and there and they deserve to be taken aside and given a quick twist of the ears by the parents....here the parents are to be blamed. But i do feel sorry for that poor 7 year old girl who behaved better than most adults.kids are supposed to be kids .She has a whole lifetime to be prim and proper.I won't be surprised if she loses all control the day she gets the chance to get away from the parents .

Only thing I don't like about Indian kids is that they are very rondu- right from infant stage they cry about everything
Again ..too much generaliation.Most kids I know are anything but rondhu..... You will always find an odd one ...but i am sure it's true for everyplace.

Guest dada_rocks

the argument of not being tested on what is beign taught sounds ridiculous to say the least.. and yes no syllabus of any entance exam is beyond the scope of the educational standard at which the particular exam takes place... all they expect from u is to really know the concept and ask questiosn keepign that in mind quite cntrary to the regurgutation question being asked in the qualifying degree exams for those entrance tests. don't trust me everything is online find it urself ..problem wiht indian education system is not entrance exam it's less number of educational institutes.. we need at least 100 iit liek institues 100 iims.. for heaven's sake there are 1 billion people .........