No time for extra warm-up games on Australian tour: BCCI

King

The BCCI has expressed its inability to pencil in more than one tour game prior to the four-match Test series in Australia later this year as desired by the players. More... MUMBAI, May 29: The cricket board has expressed its inability to pencil in more than one tour game prior to the four-match Test series in Australia later this year as desired by the players. "There's no chance to add any extra games. The players may want more but where's the time," BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said on Tuesday. He was referring to India's packed international schedule after the ODI series against South Africa in Ireland in June. The team for Ireland and the subsequent tour of England, to be selected at Bangalore on June 12, is set to depart on June 19 and return in the second week of September at the conclusion of the Natwest One-day series in England. Some players, selected for the best-of-seven One-day rubber in England, would dierctly proceed to South Africa for the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup. Australia will be in India to play seven ODIs in October, apart from a Twenty20 fixture against the hosts. After this, Pakistan will tour India for three Tests and five ODIs, which would leave the team with hardly any breathing space before it departs for the tour of Australia for playing four Tests and an ODI tri-series. As per the schedule, the Indians are slated to play only one warm-up game before taking on the Australians in the first Test at Melbourne from December 26. Indian captain Rahul Dravid had earlier complained about the "over-crammed" calendar of the team, but the BCCI rejected his contention, saying that there was a rotation policy in place to prevent player burn-out.

its fun to watch absolute cricketing morons like Niranjan Shah , Jayawant Lele advise intnl cricketers on issues such as player burn-out. I mean , have thes officials even held a bat in their hands ever in their life ? And when a player of Dravid's stature says something , it means only one thing -- HE IS RIGHT !

India plays the most internationals for the next one year. I think they have about 15 Tests and 47 ODIs lined up for the season. They are going to be away on the tour at home or overseas for about 200 days the upcoming season. I would be surprised if there is any other sport that is as demanding as this one? I'm sure the English country players will get more rest during their season than the Indian players.

its fun to watch absolute cricketing morons like Niranjan Shah ' date=' Jayawant Lele advise intnl cricketers on issues such as player burn-out. I mean , have thes officials even held a bat in their hands ever in their life ? ![/quote'] I know this is off-topic, but the moment i saw Jaywant Lele's name pop up i immediately thought of this GEM;
http://inwww.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/mar/16inter.htm Jaywant Lele, the loquacious, controversial former secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, is among many who strongly believe that Rahul Dravid's men have all that is required to win the World Cup. In an exclusive interview with Haresh Pandya, the brutally outspoken, but essentially frank, Lele explains why he is so confident about India's chances in the West Indies. What is your prediction for India in the ongoing World Cup? India will reach the final, believe me. Won't it win the World Cup? I haven't any doubt that India will reach the final without much ado.But I can't say whether we'll win the World Cup. Besides India, there'll be another best team of the World Cup in the final. Obviously, the better of the two will be the champion. Who do you think will be the other finalist? I can't say, simply because there aren't just one or two teams which can reach the final. It could be Australia or South Africa; it could be New Zealand or Sri Lanka; it could also be Pakistan or West Indies. But all I'm sure about is that India will be in the final. Who can prevent the Indians from reaching the final? Maybe the Indian players themselves! I mean they ought to reach the final without any difficulty. They've the talent and if they show a bit of consistency, it would be damn easy for them to be there in the final. If our players strike collectively and show the kind of consistency required in a longer-duration tournament like the World Cup, no team can stop them. But our players themselves will stop themselves from reaching the final if they don't do justice to their own skills and perform dismally. What makes you so confident about Team India? The amazing talents of our batsmen. We've one of the strongest batting line-ups in the world. Which Indian batsmen do you think will dominate the World Cup? Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Virender Sehwag. Sehwag? Hasn't he been wretchedly out of form of late? So what? Remember my words, Dhoni and Sehwag will be two of the most outstanding players of the World Cup. They're explosive batsmen and can murder any attack on their day. All Sehwag needs is just one morale-boosting innings. He isn't an ordinary batsman. He can't remain out for form for too long. But Sehwag is in the team against the wishes of many, including Dilip Vengsarkar, the chairman of the national selection committee ? I don't understand why people are after Sehwag? How can they so easily forget his immense contribution in some of our famous wins, in Tests as well as ODIs, in the recent past? I'm sure he'll silence his detractors in the same manner in which he hits the bowlers.
:haha:
its fun to watch absolute cricketing morons like Niranjan Shah ' date=' Jayawant Lele advise intnl cricketers on issues such as player burn-out. I mean , have thes officials even held a bat in their hands ever in their life ? [/quote'] A more pertinent question would be; do either of these idiots know their @rses from their elbows ?

Time to involve the seniors while planning the schedule England and Australia have spaced out their schedules well, writes Makarand Waingankar The principle of periodisation is so important in any sport that ignoring it could be detrimental to the growth of a sportsman. In Indian cricket, we don't seem to believe even remotely in it, considering the way we are adding to matches in the already cramped Future Tour Programme (FTP) of the ICC. No country will be playing as many matches as India during the 2007-08 season (15 Tests and 43 ODIs). Compare this with England (11 and 29), Australia (11 and 29), South Africa (15 and 19), New Zealand (five and 13), Pakistan (eight and 21), Sri Lanka (10 and 30) and West Indies (13 and 19). It's mind-boggling but true that the Indians will be travelling and will be away from their families for not less than 200 days. When the BCCI countered the other day that the other countries are playing the same amount of cricket, one was left wondering about the basis of their argument. The FTP makes it amply clear that India asked for more engagements than the others. Had that not been the case, other countries too would have had to play close to what India would be playing during the season. While India would be busy playing 118 days of international cricket and playing matches in Ireland and other places, Australia and England have planned their calendar properly. Well planned England, with 85 days, and Australia (83) have spaced out their schedules well, giving their cricketers more time to play in the domestic tournaments. When talking about the playing days, one tends to overlook the fact that on tours you need to constantly travel to play other side games and that leaves hardly any time for training or recuperating. The Technical Committee, with Sunil Gavaskar as its Chairman, is meeting in Bangalore on June 4 to discuss the issues, most of which have been discussed by the Working Committee. Shouldn't the Technical Committee be involved in planning the international schedule? The Marketing committee of the BCCI boasts that it markets the game better than the others, but our cricketers are going to struggle with fitness while playing more matches. It will affect their performance and that will affect the marketing process. Focus on money Why would any sponsor put in money when the product will not get the mileage the sponsor is looking for? If the Marketing Committee of the BCCI makes a presentation to the Technical Committee, things could be sorted out but if the focus is on playing more games to earn more money, India might be having all the experienced seniors sitting in the commentary box by the end of the 2008 season. Why aren't the senior cricketers consulted the way seniors are consulted by Cricket Australia and the English Cricket Board? The best way to find a solution is to involve the seniors of the Indian team in decision-making. Let's not treat our international cricketers like bonded labour. It's their performances that the BCCI is marketing. We need to treat them with respect. http://www.thehindu.com/2007/05/29/stories/2007052901751900.htm

this just makes me mad.. no room for warm ups?? cut down one test you idiot if you dont have room.. damn guy will prefer 0-4 rather than putting a warm-game.. sell BCCI to ambanis or someone who can run manage and look at results and future..