Zaheer set to miss first half of WI tour

So rest in the IPL - whats the need for playing this pointless tamasha. Most of the senior players have played a lot of cricket in the past few months and have a lot of important series' coming up so there was no point in playing the $. But what they're doing is playing this useless tournament and skipping an international tour :mad:
Are you kidding? If they rest in IPL, they lose money. IPL is probably 50 to 60% of their annual salary if not more. Why should they lose that money for so that they can play in equally meaningless one day matches against WI? Would you stop working 6 months of a year for your country ? Didn't think so.

For those of you talking about seniors skipping IPL and play in the WI tour, I am sure if there was no IPL, everyone would have been talking about why the seniors need to be rested and youngsters tried out. Post the WC, teams will try out youngsters and it's a great chance for us to see how these youngsters cope up. Hopefully unlike the tri series in Zimbabwe, we don't send a completely inexperienced bowling attack. That inexperienced bowling attack of Vinay, Dinda, Yadav, Ojha, Ashwin etc cost us that series. Batsmen did fine in most of the matches. What we need on the WI tour is for the likes of PK, Munaf, Sree etc to be available and be in the final 11.

For those of you talking about seniors skipping IPL and play in the WI tour, I am sure if there was no IPL, everyone would have been talking about why the seniors need to be rested and youngsters tried out. Post the WC, teams will try out youngsters and it's a great chance for us to see how these youngsters cope up. Hopefully unlike the tri series in Zimbabwe, we don't send a completely inexperienced bowling attack. That inexperienced bowling attack of Vinay, Dinda, Yadav, Ojha, Ashwin etc cost us that series. Batsmen did fine in most of the matches. What we need on the WI tour is for the likes of PK, Munaf, Sree etc to be available and be in the final 11.
Agree completely. I'd also like either Yuvraj or Gambo to make the trip.
Guest Shivani
Someone is jealous abt Sakshi Singh :) 'K, me back to ICF after a break... So, what's going on with circus kirkut ipl - will catch up on it.
:beee:

I think even if IPL wouldn't have been there , I would've gone for youngsters for a chance , West Indian conditions are not very destructive ,our new pool of batting talent can handle WI attack pretty much , for test we should send full team . My 11 for WI odi 1. Uthappa/Rohit Sharma 2. D Kartik/P patel 3. V kohli(vice captain) 4. Yuvraj (captain) 5. Raina 6. Paul Valthaty / rayadu (paul wins the race for me till now but overall good performance in IPL deserve at least 1 place in 11) 7. Yusuf Pathan /R Jadeja 8. R . ashwin 9. Piyush Chawala (dont rate him because he got whacked in WC , lad is a big turner of ball mind you wrist spinners had always been effective irrespective of pitches, with experience he will come good ) 10. Ishant Sharma 11. Praveen Kumar / Munaf Patel -->I dont see this team can lose to WI who are clearly minnow now a days.

Looking at current West Indies form, even a Ranji team can knock the out with one blow. Senior players have made a good decision to rest for the ODI series. However for the tests they should ensure some experience is still there. Here's a few players I would like to see for the Windies series: Ishant Sharma, Paul Valtathy, Praveen Kumar, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Saurabh Tiwary, Robin Uthappa, maybe some new pace bowlers as well...

Would not have a problem with this. We have enough depth to be competitive. We don't need to resort to calling up the latest IPL cowlasher either Patel, Rohit, Kohli, Yuvraj, Raina, Y Pathan, Jadeja, Ashwin, P Kumar, Nehra, Munaf. Or something like that...take a couple of promising batsmen and seamers too for the ride

it's really shame that our players want rest , if they really care about indian cricket , they wouldn't be playing in unofficial cricket league so called "IPL".To be at number one spot is a dream for most cricketers.All the hard work which was done for so many years will go into vain , one loss against windies will push india into 3 or 4 th place in ODI rankings.Even Players like Sachin,Sehwag,Dhoni we used to rate them as most loyal players when it comes to playing for country.These Players now after Money then Pride and honour....."Infact playing t-20 needs more fitness then ODI's " coz you need to run like a dog after a ball as fast as you can... These ODI's in west indies are there to Climatise and get used to those retard wickets, if you wanna stamp your authority and win this test series then they should play in ODI's as well.

it's really shame that our players want rest , if they really care about indian cricket , they wouldn't be playing in unofficial cricket league so called "IPL".To be at number one spot is a dream for most cricketers.All the hard work which was done for so many years will go into vain , one loss against windies will push india into 3 or 4 th place in ODI rankings.Even Players like Sachin,Sehwag,Dhoni we used to rate them as most loyal players when it comes to playing for country.These Players now after Money then Pride and honour....."Infact playing t-20 needs more fitness then ODI's " coz you need to run like a dog after a ball as fast as you can... These ODI's in west indies are there to Climatise and get used to those retard wickets, if you wanna stamp your authority and win this test series then they should play in ODI's as well.
Its really naive' to believe that BCCI is going to allow any of its star players to rest from IPL. They are the biggest draws of the IPL and bring is crowds and revenue. They are a huge factor why IPL is a success. People come to watch Dhoni and Sachin play. So no matter what BCCI says publicaly, no one will be allowed to skip IPL

Zaheer set to miss first half of WI tour More... Zaheer set to miss first half of WI tour Devendra Pandey Posted: Wed May 04 2011, India's pace spearhead Zaheer Khan has sought BCCI's permission to skip the first phase of the West Indies tour. According to a top Board official, Zaheer is keen to play the three Test series but wants to miss the five ODIs and the tour opening T20 game at Sabina Park, Jamaica on June 4. The decision of opting out doesn't come as a surprise since Zaheer has been playing non-stop cricket for a while now. The 32-year-old pacer played the ODI series against New Zealand at home late last year before flying out for the 46-day South Africa tour. With a five-day gap between the World Cup final and the IPL-4 opener, Zaheer has been on the road for the close to five months now. And since the Indian team leaves for West Indies just four days after the IPL-4 final, the pacer wouldn’t have the time to rest and recover. His lukewarm show for Bangalore Royal Challengers just reasserts the point. “He has informed the Board informally. And before the selection committee meets on May 10 he will be writing to the BCCI secretary. The Board will not force him to play the ODIs and T20 game. India has a bunch of tours lined up and we need a fit Zaheer in England and Australia. If any player asks for rest then there is no harm in it, as earlier too we have given rest to players who have asked for it,” the BCCI official said. Though reports of senior players opting out to rest have trickled in, veteran off-spinner Harbhajan Singh has explained he will be available for the entire tour. “I have no idea from where the news of senior players opting out of West Indies tour have come in. As far as I am concerned I am available for the tour. I haven't talked to anybody nor has anybody spoken to me. We will be playing three Tests there and I don't want to miss any of those,” he said. Recommended for Arjuna The BCCI has recommended pace spearhead Zaheer Khan for the prestigious Arjuna award for his excellent showing in the cricket World Cup. The pacer took 21 wickets to finish the tournament as the joint-highest wicket-taker with If Zaheer wins the award, he will join the likes of Salim Durani, Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi Vijay Manjrekar and team mates Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Harbhajan Singh, Sachin Tendulkar amongst others. Gambhir was the last male cricketer to have won the award, in 2009, while women’s pacer Jhulan Goswamy received the honour last year.