Mumbai Indians Cheerleader thrown out of the country for secretly blogging

Texy

Her contact ended. The Employer (Contractor) immediately sent her back (due to many reasons, primarily financial and Insurance etc.). What's the point of keeping her in India when she was no more an employee? If she had stayed in India, it would've breached the Work Visa granted to her. If she doesn't has anybody to sponsor her stay in India, there's no point in staying back. All this is hypothetical as we don't know the details of the contract she had with her employer. Maybe there's a clause that she will be immediately sent back if she breaks the contract..

Here in Europe you have time of atleast a month after you lose your job to leave the country. I don't know whether you have to leave immediately in the US.
There is no officially stated timeline in the US - most legal experts agree that it is a 'reasonable' amount of time in which you can be expected to settle your personal belongings and obligations. But officially there is nothing stopping the government from deporting you the minute your employment is terminated. Even if we take the 'reasonable' amount of time - how much would be that according to you for someone living out of a suitcase in hotels for 6 weeks?

Wasn't the word of some cricketer enough to get her kicked out? How is her word any less valuable?
Again it's all hearsay. Maybe the franchise had some inquiry. My contention is with : 1. Needlessly dragging red herrings like rape and molestation as a justification to have cheerleaders. BTW, I am not against cheerleaders but I fail to see rape and molestation in a country as a reason to have them. 2. That the government acted in a draconian way after her employment was terminated. Not at all - she has no business to be in India once her employment is terminated and packing a couple of suitcases to board a flight to South Africa should not take more than 48 hours. She was not some long term resident who would have a car, house etc. to dispose before leaving.

Talking of rape capital, Delhi with 404 cases of rape every year is called the rape capital of India. Does London with 500+ cases every year get tagged as the rape capital of Britain? Not trying to justify these heinous crimes, am curious to know why London or other big cities do not get the same notoriety as Delhi for similar crime incidents?

The discussion is all over the place. It's a matter of professional ethics and contractual obligation. Where exactly Indian culture feature in this???
+++ BTW as I mentioned previously this could have been used as USP and L Modi would have taken advantage of this to create controversy and thereby more TRPs. New IPL committee is not smart enough for the same. This could have been used to massively boost the TRPs like was the case during the Fake IPL Player or Atul Sharma cases. Controversy is also one of the best sorts of advertisements as it creates interest.

Guest Gunner
@ Gunner : The report wasn't about civil rights but rights when it comes to say opening a business or how the local law abets/hinders acquiring product from outside which may bring in more competition and hence hit the local players etc. And Iran indeed is a better place' date=' especially if you are an entrepreneur, either local or foreign than Sweden even though you may not have civil liberties there. As per the report. But lets end this here. This is just digressing.[/quote'] Apologies, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Guest Gunner
Again it's all hearsay. Maybe the franchise had some inquiry. My contention is with : 1. Needlessly dragging red herrings like rape and molestation as a justification to have cheerleaders. BTW, I am not against cheerleaders but I fail to see rape and molestation in a country as a reason to have them.
I actually didn't or atleast didn't intend to get into that line of discussion at all it just got all over the place. I am definitely not saying that you should have cheerleaders in India because there are socal evils like rape.
2. That the government acted in a draconian way after her employment was terminated. Not at all - she has no business to be in India once her employment is terminated and packing a couple of suitcases to board a flight to South Africa should not take more than 48 hours. She was not some long term resident who would have a car' date=' house etc. to dispose before leaving.[/quote'] Fair enough. But kicking someone out seems to be harsh. I think most reasonable people will leave of their own free will and I will go out on a limb and suggest she hasn't violated any visa regulations in India before to be kicked out immediately from the country. In this case we don't even know if she got 48 hrs.

Guest Gunner

I was actually retorting to the culture of celebrities gagging people from telling the truth about their lives.

The way of life of the majority in India is to rape and molest? WTF! :hysterical:
Yeah, everyon knows that rape and molestation are cultural aspects of Kazakhstan Borat told me so seriously people, this was one incident involving one cheerleader let's not lose our perspective here

I am wrong to say majority, really bad pick of a word by me. Definitely rape, molestation is not majority nor are they the highest in the world. A woman is raped every other minute in congo and i wouldnt even think that that is the case with Delhi. What i meant to say was that such cases are extremely high considering our supposedly modest culture.

Here in Europe you have time of atleast a month after you lose your job to leave the country. I don't know whether you have to leave immediately in the US.
Which Europe you talking about? I was in one of Schengen country couple of yrs back. Due to some goof-up of my HR, local authorities were informed about end of my employment in the country. When our office got to know, I was immendiately asked to leave office and had to come back to India at earliest possible. Couldn't even get documents from my office computer. PS - I don't know if my HR could have handled my case diffrerently and could have bought some more time for me, but that's what happened with me.

I am wrong to say majority, really bad pick of a word by me. Definitely rape, molestation is not majority nor are they the highest in the world. A woman is raped every other minute in congo and i wouldnt even think that that is the case with Delhi. What i meant to say was that such cases are extremely high considering our supposedly modest culture.
^^ Add to that woman is a personification of devi' date=' goddess yada yada...[/quote'] What has modest culture got to do with rape? Rape is not committed by liberals, conservatives, modest etc. - it's committed by criminals, a significant number of whom would be psychologically bent. India, by and large, is a conservative society which in itself can lead to feelings of sexual repression. That leads to a multitude of social problems. Sure there are hypocrites who would say that 'Naari, devi ka roop hoti hai', and won't allow their girl child to even attend a dance class. However, I still fail to see the correlation of all this with cheerleaders. Surely, even you would agree that cheerleaders are not part of the Indian culture - at least while I was growing up no school, college, or university had a cheerleading team and I suspect it is still the case. Now that does not mean that we cannot adapt things from another culture - sure go ahead with the cheerleaders I don't have any problems with that, but that certainly does not make cheerleading a part of the Indian culture or even the urban Indian culture. Maybe the society will accept it and integrate it over the years and we will have cheerleading squads for all sports and teams.