Books: A thread for avid readers to reccomend and discuss what they are reading....

gorah_pindu

Christie was magic. I could curl up with practically any novel of her, even the Miss Marple ones, and not put it down until I was through the last page. Other, more contemporary favourites- Alistair Maclean, Desmond Bagley, Arthur Hailey, Frederick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Jack Higgins, and yes, unashamedly, the greatest & most prodigious thriller writer ever- James Hadley Chase. Strangely, all British writers. This is not by design. I didn't know their nationality when I was growing up.

Read a chap called Cronin when I was growing up. He was a practitioner of the trade I ply now. Magical stuff. But my all time favourite has to be James Herriot, who wrote about his life as a vet in a small village in the Yorkshire moors. All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small, Vet in Harness, all classics in earthy, unpretentious and utterly enjoyable writing of his time, read by generations afterwards, without losing even a little of the original charm he imparted to those lovingly crafted pages. I'd recommend Herriot to anybody. He will not let you down.

... and yes, unashamedly, the greatest & most prodigious thriller writer ever- James Hadley Chase. Strangely, all British writers. This is not by design. I didn't know their nationality when I was growing up.
James Hadley Chase,DD - cast your mind back over the books you read: 1. the titles were the most original you can imagine 2. he visited the usa on holiday once or twice, and yet wrote dozens of books set in Miami!

Very interesting. No wonder he changed his name! But what a resourceful chap! Armed with a dictionary for American slang, he churned out one bestseller after another. I actually thought he was American, until I learnt more. I do not exaggerate- on a scale of 1-10 for unputdownability, he rates 10. Nobody comes close.

I think a person can write about a country they have never visited as long as they research it well enough. This guy sounds interesting. I_robot.jpg03-12-troopers.jpgrama-02-klein.jpg Three important books by the three kings of science fiction - 'I, Robot' by Issac Asimov, 'Starship Troopers' by Robert Heinlein and 'Rendezvous with Rama' by Arthur C Clarke.

Not many people know it, but India was one of the first countries to write science fiction, specifically Bengali literature. There is a wiki article on it called 'Bangla Science Fiction'. And of course, masters like George Orwell were Anglo-Indian. Here is a list of the most important authors in the history of science fiction literature (including 'soft' sci-fi, but not fantasy): First science fiction author (pre 1900): - Mary Shelley (Frankenstein) The Fahters of Science Fiction (1900s - 1930s): - HG Wells (War of the Worlds) - Jules Verne (Journey to the Centre of the Earth) - Hugo Gernsback (Amazing Stories Magazine) The Golden Age of Science Fiction (1930s - 1950s): - Isaac Asimov (Foundation) - Robert Heinlein (Red Planet) - Arthur C Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey) Important Authors Since (1950s - 1980s): - Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451) - Frank Herbert (Dune) - JG Ballard (The Drowned World) - Phillip K Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) - William Gibson (Neuromancer) - Larry Niven (Ringworld) - Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) Some Prominent Modern Authors: (1980s - present): - Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars Trilogy) - Alistair Reynolds (Revelation Space) - Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon) Other Authors That Have Influenced Science Fiction: - JRR Tolkein (The Lord of the Rings) - Aldous Huxley (Brave New World) - George Orwell (Ninteen Eighty Four)

I do not exaggerate- on a scale of 1-10 for unputdownability, he rates 10. Nobody comes close .
Have you read Ed McBain's 87th precinct stuff? Same level of 'unputdownability'. And, recently, Tess Gerritsen - rather crude, but similar in her ability to hold on to the reader. :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

Read a chap called Cronin when I was growing up. He was a practitioner of the trade I ply now. Magical stuff. But my all time favourite has to be James Herriot, who wrote about his life as a vet in a small village in the Yorkshire moors. All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small, Vet in Harness, all classics in earthy, unpretentious and utterly enjoyable writing of his time, read by generations afterwards, without losing even a little of the original charm he imparted to those lovingly crafted pages. I'd recommend Herriot to anybody. He will not let you down.
Love his work......i have a few of those ......... But my all time favourite are the works of PG wodehouse... Read 2 recently. 1)Spring Fever 2)Leave it to Psmith .... Never been disappointed .....

Very interesting. No wonder he changed his name! But what a resourceful chap! Armed with a dictionary for American slang, he churned out one bestseller after another. I actually thought he was American, until I learnt more. I do not exaggerate- on a scale of 1-10 for unputdownability, he rates 10. Nobody comes close.
Last time when I was in India during Dec, I picked up truck load of chase and Perry Mason novels from "Radhi shop" for dirt cheap price. Man they rock !:thumbs_up:

David Mitchell The man is a genius. Have still to read his latest Black Swan Green...but Cloud Atlas is excellent, as are his first two. Am currently reading Ian McEwans (another great writer) Saturday. Big fan of horror/fantasy- Stephen King is the man, David Gemmell is a great writer too- have read nearly all of their works