Should gurus and babas lead political campaigns?

1983-2011

Make sure those who like honey and stuff from dhongi babas factory should aquire as much as possible .His days are as yoga dancer are numbered now . His yoga ashram + factory will be shut in near future .why ? he has taken awesome panga with most POWERFUL government in the world .In simple words ' " Jo Jupiter se takraeega chur chur ho jayega "

^ LOL...Don't worry too much as you spend rest of your life in Europa. Let us ' date='resident Indians, worry about our laws.[/quote'] Dude, that's just dumb. Laws of the country affect every Indian citizen, not just those who physically reside there. If it didn't many of us wouldn't even bother posting about it.

Corruption has been an issue in this country for the past 15 years. The fact that no one was bothered about it much, the government were able to get it swept under the carpet, but now it seems that the general public has decided to rally against corruption, and Baba Ramdev has been a catalyst. Although I strongly disagree with Babas and other Saadhu's marching on against corruption by taking some obnoxious ways of publicity and media hogging, but at the same time, there is a need of this scams and stuff to stop and we the people must take the initiative to join hands with those against corruption. I want to highlight the some points which I have - 1) Baba Ramdev has been making public speeches on the Black Money and corruption for quite some time. He has used his Yoga sessions for this to drive the public in his direction.He has been instrumental in influencing the uneducated public against the Government. But to me a Yoga Session must be just a Yoga Session and not a Session of Political Speech o something. 2) The UPA Government deployed a ridiculous attempt against the agitators by evicting Baba Ramdev and in the process disturbing innocent people. This has thrown ball in Baba Ramdev's court. This will now have a severe impact throughout the nation as Baba Ramdev has his fan followers in small villages all over India. the Government has really dropped the axe on their own feet here. 3) But the way Baba Ramdev expressed that incident and relating that to Jallianwallah Bagh or the '92 or '75 Emergency was plain BS. It was a sad incident alright, but nowhere near those two. Police did go over the line, but they didn't kill anyone. This may be described as again a publicity or putting more Ghee in the fire that is already glowing crazily. 4) The fasts of the protesters all over the country would mean a united general public against the Government. What this has done is that the whole of the country has now gone against the Government and there is nothing that the Government could do now except accepting its defeat. They had a chance to resolve the issue by taking the letter as a defense and making Baba Ramdev pay heavily for the fast he went by fooling the public even after the deal with the Governement was signed. But they had other ideas which didn't quite work the way they anticipated. 5) Lastly, the BJP has the best chance of piling on the agony. They have also joined hands with Baba and his followers and are marching along with them against the UPA Government. This was all mainly because of the crackdown. But my question is : Why was the need to crackdown so early? Was the Government afraid that the fast would gather momentum and destroy them? Well even then it wouldn't have been worse than the current scenario. In a nutshell, its Advantage Baba Ramdev at the moment and the Government has to rethink about what can be the next step forward.

This does raise awareness among ppl. For example, I had no idea about Lokpal Bill and what it was before Anna Hazare's fast and I am educated guy...so we do need social awareness. BJP's one of the main election agenda was "Black Money" and they had a devised a plan of action. Lot of ppl did not care about black money issue back then. Since Ramdevbaba has started his campaign, awareness for this has grown.

This does raise awareness among ppl. For example, I had no idea about Lokpal Bill and what it was before Anna Hazare's fast and I am educated guy...so we do need social awareness. BJP's one of the main election agenda was "Black Money" and they had a devised a plan of action. Lot of ppl did not care about black money issue back then. Since Ramdevbaba has started his campaign, awareness for this has grown.
The problem is we also forget very easily, just wait one week, everything forgotten, just like 26/11. Nothing really changed for India.

Dont care who they are, or where they are from. Anyone campaiging against corruption should be lauded and supported, no matter what their history is. Corruption is the one thing stopping India becomin greatest power on earth. People saying no protests leave it to politicians who are elected are naive and not understanding India. The whole reason people in India become politicians is to earn money through corruptiopn and some want them to stop it??? It needs this spark to create movement and awareness amongst the people. Also civil movements are wide spread all over the world and through its history, many have led to some of the greatest changes in world history. As long as its peaceful then why should any govt object or worry. The people want change, yet politicians dont as they love the corrupt money.

Corrution is in India from top to bottom. Even if you are doing everything corrrectly and have all forms etc , still cant do nothing without bribing someone. It has to be eradicted from very top to lowly officals, police etc etc. Even if the movement really catches fire and propels action, it will take around 40 years for real change. As corruption so ingrained in our psyche

'Ramdev violated permission given to him' Government on Sunday (June 5) justified police action to end Ramdev's agitation saying the Yoga Guru had violated the undertaking for permission and had even backed out on his assurances. Union Minister Kapil Sibal, who was holding negotiations with Ramdev over the last few days, said there were apprehensions about law and order situation in Delhi as Ramdev had collected 50,000 people for "political aasan" (manoeuver) although he had sought permission for a yoga camp for a gathering of 5,000 only. "It was not a Yoga platform, but a political platform. The law and order had to be enforced in Delhi. We did not want any disruptions in that," he told reporters. To a question, he said the party and the government were united on the police action. "Absolutely 100 per cent. No such action takes place without 100 per cent unity in the government and the party," the minister said. He rejected BJP's allegations that the crackdown was reminiscent of Emergency. Sibal alleged that Ramdev was in league with the RSS as he referred to the presence of Sadvi Ritambhara in his protest. The Union Minister said Ramdev was not a trustworthy person as he had "cheated" the government and also his followers. "He reached an agreement with the government but did not tell it to his followers," Sibal said. He said government and Ramdev had reached an understanding as per which the Yoga Guru was supposed to announce calling off his strike by yesterday afternoon, but he did not honour the commitment. "Despite assurances he did not make the announcement. We were in touch with him over phone. We waited till 5 pm. When he did not give statement we decided to go to press. We told him that," Sibal explained, referring to making public the letter written by one of his close associate. "If he backs out, how will we trust him," the Minister questioned. http://www.timesnow.tv/Ramdev-violated-permission-given-to-him/articleshow/4375085.cms

What the Govt has done is called "apne paanw par kulhaadi maarna". This "movement" of Baba Ramdev was not a public movement, the only people who had come to protest were the ones who watched Ramdev's yoga on TV - most didn't even know what was the reason behind the "satyagrah" and it would've fizzled out in a few days but the Govt, being a collection of fools, decided to act and has now made Baba Ramdev into a victim tormented by the Govt and now his movement is supported by all parties except the Congress and all of them are going to make sure that they gain as much political mileage out of it as possible and the main issue of black money will again be forgotten in their endeavor to ensure justice for "Bechaare Baba Ramdev".

I think the Congress pressed the Panic button. The whole agitation had RSS support. I noticed RSS idologues photo collage on the stage background (right hand side). So the event has the overt backing of RSS. Now Congress can try as much possible to give it a communal colour but now the people are above those communal rhetorics. They used to get devided few years ago but now the things have changed. Congress will find it harder to paint every issue with communal/secular colour. For years Congress and other 'like minded' parties kept on winning by deviding the opposition between Secular and Non-Secular lines..Those days are over now.

Most funny of all the arguments put forward in this discussion is that we haven't elected Ramdev to represent us, so he doesn't have any right to raise issues on behalf of public. Going by that logic none of these posters A,B or C are hired by ICF as advisors, so why they are advising on Indian public? I think these people seriously don't understand what word democracy means. Democracy is not just the process of election but it is freedom of opinion.

Fuel for Fire

New Delhi: The police crackdown on Baba Ramdev and his supporters led to many of them being injured. The police action not only destroyed property at the Ramlila grounds, but also left many Ramdev supporters injured. One of the seriously injured is 50-year-old Gurgaon resident Rajbala, who was attending Ramdev agitation. She was allegedly hit on the neck, back and leg during Saturday night's swoop. She has been admitted into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Delhi's GB Pant Hospital where her condition is said to be critical. Her family claims that the police brutality has left Rajbala, who is on ventilator right now, paralysed in both arms and legs. The doctors attending to her say that she could be paralysed for life. It's been a traumatic time for her family, who confirm that Rajbala underwent a cervical joint replacement surgery on Sunday. Her family said that they had asked her to leave the fast site around midnight but she refused because she wanted to supported Ramdev in his 'anshan' and that she was injured because of police lathicharge. However, how she was injured cannot confirmed as there are no eye witnesses.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ramdev-supporter-critical-after-police-crackdown/157135-3.html

Guest Gunner
Most funny of all the arguments put forward in this discussion is that we haven't elected Ramdev to represent us' date= so he doesn't have any right to raise issues on behalf of public. Going by that logic none of these posters A,B or C are hired by ICF as advisors, so why they are advising on Indian public? I think these people seriously don't understand what word democracy means. Democracy is not just the process of election but it is freedom of opinion.
That is just about the most idiotic thing anyone has said on this thread, it also makes it absolutely clear that you haven't read the posts on this thread. If you have and this is the limited understanding that you have gained then I am sorry there is no point debating you.

That is just about the most idiotic thing anyone has said on this thread' date=' it also makes it absolutely clear that you haven't read the posts on this thread. If you have and this is the limited understanding that you have gained then [b']I am sorry there is no point debating you.
From where this assumption came that I am interested in debating with you :hmmmm2: Anyways, say one or two meaningful things before jumping on personal attacks. My whole point was that you can't stop anybody from raising the voice just because he/she is not your elected representative.

Most funny of all the arguments put forward in this discussion is that we haven't elected Ramdev to represent us, so he doesn't have any right to raise issues on behalf of public. Going by that logic none of these posters A,B or C are hired by ICF as advisors, so why they are advising on Indian public? I think these people seriously don't understand what word democracy means. Democracy is not just the process of election but it is freedom of opinion.
I was also wondering to see the post. May be if this whole process was done by some body like Lalu Yadav, Mayawati, Karunanidhi etc the poster would have no problem with that but how dare some body such as Ramdev, Anna Hazare has done this. May be the poster takes the word of Ball Thackrey more seriously then Sachin Tendulkar or Yedurrapa's concern as more genuine than Narayan Murthi when they speak something of national concern. Mahatma Gandhi, Jay Prakash Narayan they were not elected representative by people, yet they were followed by millions when they started their agitation.

Democracy gives every citizen the right to participate in governance. Its true that only the elected representatives have the authority to bring about legislative change. However it is absolutely not their prerogative. Any concerned citizen can peacefully show dissent in a democracy. Same applies to Arundhati Roy, Hazare or Baba Ramdev, regardless of what their individual motives might be