Let's talk about the DRS

champ

I felt bad for Laxman. He deserved a hundred for this effort of him.
And he should speak up and make himself heard - abt UDRS. People cannot complain abt umpiring charm (against ICC rules), but Laxman can at least voice support for UDRS. More players need to come out and talk. Bhajji is now spoken abt in favor of UDRS.

Why does Hawkeye have to tell everybody in the middle that Steve Davis was wrong? The 3rd umpire cannot do it. I am sorry but the problem is in the implementation. Why cannot ICC have it so that the 3rd umpire can advise the umpire about the erroneous decision. It is not as if he cannot spot it - even in regular speed! For this purpose, Hawkeye is just as needed as jet propulsion engines are needed for driving around Chennai and Bangalore.

UDRS: Need to revisit stand? Even the most vehement detractors of the Umpire's Decision Referral System (UDRS) might reconsider their stand after what happened during the first Test in Ahmedabad against NZ. More... Need to revisit stand? Atreyo Mukhopadhyay, Hindustan Times Hyderabad, November 10, 2010 Even the most vehement detractors of the Umpire's Decision Referral System (UDRS) might reconsider their stand after what happened during the first Test in Ahmedabad. All three apparent instances of the on-field umpires getting it wrong in the first Test went against India after captain MS Dhoni publicly decried using the system on match eve. The first one came on Day III when Kane Williamson survived a confident caught-behind appeal, off Zaheer Khan, when on 56 before scoring a century. On the last day on Monday, VVS Laxman was ruled leg before despite getting an inside edge off Daniel Vettori and next ball, Zaheer got the same deal. Kumar Dharmasena was the umpire who ruled Williamson not out and Simon Davis made the leg before decisions. Dhoni was not available for comment after the Test but Daniel Vettori, the New Zealand captain, was as was Harbhajan Singh. One day before the start of the first Test, Dhoni had said he didn't like UDRS because it was not 100% accurate. "I wouldn't buy a life jacket if it doesn't come with a warranty. Same for the UDRS," Dhoni had said. On Monday, both Vettori and Harbhajan spoke in favour of the system. "I have always been a fan of the use of technology. If there is an assurance that the system will help get correct decisions, I am for it," Vettori said. "There is no reason why an incorrect decision should be made when there is technology available to get correct ones. I would like to have such a system in place," said Vettori, whose Test tally of 331 wickets would have read 329 had the UDRS been used in this series. Harbhajan spoke on similar lines. "I don't mind using the UDRS. We had it in Sri Lanka (in 2008) and I quite liked it as I got a couple of wickets. It was out, given not out and then we got the decision. But I am no one to decide on this. There are big people to take a call on this. My job is to bowl, bat and field. That's all I can do," said the Man of the Match. A reason why the umpiring errors on the final day of the first Test were not talked about is that they came at a stage of the match when there was no possibility of a result. Imagine what would have happened had Laxman been erroneously given out after a huge shout for a catch at forward short-leg, off Jeetan Patel, with India gasping at 26 for five on the fourth evening. Following the India-Sri Lanka series in Sri Lanka in 2008 when the UDRS was used on an experimental basis, India have constantly opposed it. The system has not featured in any series involving India after that because both teams need to agree for it to be implemented. Australia, England, South Africa and Sri Lanka use it regularly and there is talk that of it being seen in next year’s World Cup. Time will tell how the superpower reacts to it. 10_11_2010_021_015.jpg

Lets hope Dharmasena and Davis give some horrible howlers against SRT in Test-2 and Test-3 if above is the case Achilles. Hopefully that will get SRT to sing in favor of UDRS too.
Yes, I definitely want his innings cut short because that has never happened before. Neither did anyone wish injury upon him. Or call him a git.
Dhoni: We'd rather use 20% right umpires rather than 80% or 90% UDRS Dhoni :hail:
That’s a good one..:hysterical: Btw, the Aussie duo of Steve Davis and Daryl Harper need to go from the elite panel NOW.. They’re hot in the heels of the Benson-Bucknor Duo.
That’s a good one..:hysterical: Btw, the Aussie duo of Steve Davis and Daryl Harper need to go from the elite panel NOW.. They’re hot in the heels of the Benson-Bucknor Duo.
Aussies are more biased than incompetent. Been that way for years. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tts2C2CTIe4]YouTube - Aus vs Ind, 3rd Test, Melbourne 1981 - Aus 2nd innings[/ame] This happened 29 years back. Check around 3.00 mark.

What i say now might sting some people But i feel, the senior players and decision makers in the team (all batsman) are afraid that they have more chances of getting out with UDRS than without it (specially with lbw's) and thereby putting the team's interests(bowlers&victories) in the backburner. They have more chances to survive without UDRS (The Mendis boogeyman is still playing on their minds) I squarely blame the Fab 3 with Dhoni for this Else, I see no reason why they dont want UDRS

The recently adopted Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) has brought significant improvement in overcoming umpiring errors in international matches and will be used more when it gets cheaper, an official said on Wednesday. The review system was introduced on a trial basis in June 2008, allowing players to challenge on-field umpires' decisions and refer them to the television official. Teams are given two opportunities per innings to contest an on-field decision, losing a challenge for an unsuccessful review. India has been averse to the use of UDRS as the home boards have to pay for the necessary infrastructure supplied by the broadcasters, while some countries have not had access to certain technologies. But International Cricket Council General Manager (Cricket) David Richardson backed the UDRS and the use of technology. “We think the UDRS has eased out pressure on the on-field umpires, nine out of ten teams are in favour of it,” Richardson told reporters at ICC headquarters. “In 23 Tests since October 2009, 84 possible on-field umpiring errors were recorded and 57 were corrected (by UDRS), which has lifted the correct decision percentage from 92.04 per cent to 97.68 which is significant,” said Richardson of the system. http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-sports/article879138.ece

What i say now might sting some people But i feel, the senior players and decision makers in the team (all batsman) are afraid that they have more chances of getting out with UDRS than without it (specially with lbw's) and thereby putting the team's interests(bowlers&victories) in the backburner. They have more chances to survive without UDRS (The Mendis boogeyman is still playing on their minds) I squarely blame the Fab 3 with Dhoni for this Else, I see no reason why they dont want UDRS
Whats worse is that Sachin doesn't even have the courage (or is it his application of diplomacy) to come out in the open and say "Yes, these are my issues. Lets fix them". Instead he chooses to fire from Dhoni's shoulder. The intellectual level on this issue only rivals the PCBs superb intellect. Don't even waste your time critiquing. They don't even care. They are too busy diplomatic and getting records to their name.
Achilles - I find it funny that you talk as if Sachin confided his thoughts in you. He has said once or twice his reasons which for the record I dont agree with' date=' Dhoni as the captain of the team will obviously be asked and he may have his views how do you know they are not his own views?[/quote'] Hey! Don't complain about achilles opining upon this issue using evidence he found when he stuck his head up his ass. C'mon now, you gotta be used to that. Its his birthright to be a moronic, self-righteous idiot. Of course, this is my opinion and this is a free-speech board, so I'm expressing it. If not, the Nazi dictatorial totalitarian moderators can go ahead and edit it.