Internet Help

Rajiv

OK, my home PC just lost internet connection so I restarted modem, I can use skye and torrent but cannot use any browser ( Opera, IE, and Mozilla ) I have remote - desktoped to my office PC and posting from there now, WTF Someone help

Connections Tab of your Browser....Play with the following. Never Dial a Connection... On LAN Settings Tab : Automatically Detect internet Settings : Check and Uncheck.... Also Proxy Settings...You dont need them ...do you
always been that I googled and some folks had the same problem but their solution didn't work for me

>> read the 1st post again, I can remote-desktop to office PC ( thats the interesting part ) Ahhhhhh.... Same here... It never worked for me. I remote onto Work and then my browser on my machine never works till I disconnects. But I use VPN for remote working

okay maybe some existing application was doing it. Next time if this happens you can do this

1. Go to Start>Connect to... and choose your network connection.
  2. Click Properties.
  3. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click the Options tab.
  6. Make sure TCP/IP Filtering is selected, then click Properties.
  7. See if the filtering option is checked, and what ports are listed.
  8. Make sure port 80 is not blocked

Firewall issues can it be Rajeev? It does rule out firewall issue if you were able to remote desktop from work and then use the browser from home pc to browse internet fine. I won't be surprised if it's firewall blocking access. Everytime the firewall software is updated it will reset the access to some of the software but I can't quite understand why only browsers?

okay maybe some existing application was doing it. Next time if this happens you can do this
  1. Go to Start>Connect to... and choose your network connection.
  2. Click Properties.
  3. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click the Options tab.
  6. Make sure TCP/IP Filtering is selected, then click Properties.
  7. See if the filtering option is checked, and what ports are listed.
  8. Make sure port 80 is not blocked

Port 80 wasn't blocked but Filtering was unchecked Let see if it happens next time

Well now, everything is OK, coz I restarted PC but earlier I was able to sign on to skype ( which is almost like IM ) I could download through torrents, I could remote-desktop, I could ping but I couldnt use Outlook or Browse the net with 3 different browsers

Often your updates for Virus scan software mess up with these things. Always remember to reboot when it ask you to. If you forget and then two different types of updates are installed, say a Virus software update and Windows update, expect some applications not to work in every 3-4 months or so. It happens with me some times... No biggie..glad its working now