Mitchel Johnson

kabira

The bat flew out of his hand to square leg. Again shut your trap when you do not know about a thing about this.
Sunny and Boycott have mentioned some balls from Holding were not visible to naked eye. And Sunny also said we need a side screen between Imran Khan and batsman to reduce the pace. http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/mar/200312-sports-50-years-on-Nari-recalls-near-fatal-blow.htm Supermen But technically, Sunil was superior. I have never seen him being hit on the head while I have seen Sachin get hit several times. And Sunil never wore a helmet although he used the skull cap towards the end of his career. Both batsmen have been tremendous and we must never forget Sachin taking on that responsibility of opening the innings in one-day cricket during the 1994 tour of New Zealand. He was just 21."

SRT's perseverence and adaptability makes him the greatest ever but not giving credit where due to Sunny is B.S If SRT played with a mediocre team,then so did Sunny,Apart from Vishy(who by the time of this innings was past his prime) and to some extent Vengsarker,No one were real world class...Not bringing in Kapil here, only about the batting lineup. Boss Bhai I know you are a big time SRT fan but so am I.... stop bringing SRT in everything and demeaning other acheivements. Also the amount of body Padding Sunny probably had here is way less to what modern batsmen have. Mitchell Johnson right now is a war machine....But it is only Johnson,rest are all decent bowlers that's about it......But What if there were 3-4 M.J's bowling at the same pace and the same line constantly? This is where I rate Sunny's innings

:hysterical::hysterical: as I had predicted you wouldnt like what I said. Sirf squareleg ? Arrey bhai while you are at it why dont you say Deep backward squareleg .... nobody is going to question you ... lage raho ... :two_thumbs_up: But if laws of physics and being accurate mean anything to you ... you will realize that this is simply impossible. Try hurling a bat with both hands and see how far you get.
When I said square leg, I should have said it flew towards square leg to make it clear to a SRT sycophant like you. It was a vicious bouncer. I distinctly remember him walking towards that direction to pick up the bat on the way to the pavilion as Gus Logie came and picked it up and then kind of met half way. It was certainly further than forward short leg. It was an embarrassing moment for a champion batsman in front of the Indian crowd and that is why I remember the incident. But do not believe, what the feck do I care!! Again, how would you know unless you took the SRT dik out of your mouth and did some finding of your own! :giggle:
SRT's perseverence and adaptability makes him the greatest ever but not giving credit where due to Sunny is B.S If SRT played with a mediocre team,then so did Sunny,Apart from Vishy(who by the time of this innings was past his prime) and to some extent Vengsarker,No one were real world class...Not bringing in Kapil here, only about the batting lineup. Boss Bhai I know you are a big time SRT fan but so am I.... stop bringing SRT in everything and demeaning other acheivements. Also the amount of body Padding Sunny probably had here is way less to what modern batsmen have. Mitchell Johnson right now is a war machine....But it is only Johnson,rest are all decent bowlers that's about it......But What if there were 3-4 M.J's bowling at the same pace and the same line constantly? This is where I rate Sunny's innings
Don't worry. You will not get any objective opinion from him about other batsmen because he more than a fan.......he is a worshipper, a sycophant. I admire Sunny the batsman, not the person. I could not care less about Sunny the man. He was partisan and at times he was a selfish batsman. He was also sometimes very slow. However, that does not take away from the fact that he was the first man from the subcontinent that stood up to these fast bowlers without a helmet (that skull cap he wore was sh*t). He was a world class opener, with incredible grit, technique and concentration. The first batting superstar from the subcontinent. I have seen this series live on DD for almost the entirety. I was at Eden Gardens when he got out off the first ball to Marshall in this series. I have seen Gavaskar bat live at the Eden Gardens almost every time India played from 1978 until his retirement. I have also said time and time again that SRT as a batsman is of a higher class than Sunny. I have enjoyed watching them both. Whether "the God" would have faced the wrath of Marshall and come away a winner, I do not know, but it is irrelevant to this discussion. Comparing Marshall to Johnson from one test is laughworthy at best.

Kirmani had series of bouncers one after another at Chennai . He kept on ducking every single time. Being short kinda helped him. They asked him to hook. He did not budge one bit. If i remember right it was one of the match where Marshall did not drop his pace from start to finish. Entire West Indies team was ultra aggressive against India as a revenge for world cup 1983 loss. Another incident was Ahmedabad Test. West Indies was absolutely pissed off at the pitch in which Maninder took 4 wickets in the first innings. Kapil took 9 for 83 in the 2nd. India just needed 242 to win. Lloyd openly said they were going to win it by any means. That pitch was a dodgy pitch. The bouncer barrage in that match went out of control..Funny thing highest partnership for India in the 2nd innings was 10th wicket between Maninder and Kirmani who were subjected to bouncer barrage. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63352.html

Kirmani had series of bouncers one after another at Chennai . He kept on ducking every single time. Being short kinda helped him. They asked him to hook. He did not budge one bit. If i remember right it was one of the match where Marshall did not drop his pace from start to finish. Entire West Indies team was ultra aggressive against India as a revenge for world cup 1983 loss. Another incident was Ahmedabad Test. West Indies was absolutely pissed off at the pitch in which Maninder took 4 wickets in the first innings. Kapil took 9 for 83 in the 2nd. India just needed 242 to win. Lloyd openly said they were going to win it by any means. That pitch was a dodgy pitch. The bouncer barrage in that match went out of control..Funny thing highest partnership for India in the 2nd innings was 10th wicket between Maninder and Kirmani who were subjected to bouncer barrage. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63352.html
++++ That is exactly why they were extra nasty. They genuinely thought that they were robbed off a WC win because of their own arrogance and indifference. They did not think India deserved to win the game. They thought poorly of India and wanted to take revenge. All the bowlers, especially Marshall and Holding were pumped up during that series. Although, Holding was bowling off of a short run up, he relied mostly on movement while Marshall had everything in that series....pace, bounce, movement....for a short guy, the way he kicked the ball up to chest height from just short of a good length troubled the Indian batsman and no one other than Sunny (he suffered too at times) could face up to it. This too on Indian pitches. :hatsoff: I remember this aspect of his bowling was discussed a lot in the newspapers during the series. How anyone can compare Marshall doing that on Indian pitches (those days most Indian pitches resulted in boring draws) vs. Johnson on a bouncy albeit not juiced up Gabba track is beyond me. :haha: And Marshall has done that time and time again in his career. Marshall is an ATG, while Johnson is an erratic bowler who has potential, but has squandered it so far. In Bengali there is a saying "Chande aar meni-beraler ponde" (the comparison is made between the moon and pussycat's behind)!! :giggle:
One thing i will say, my parents bought their first Tv set when they migrated to the UK in the early 1980s. So what bossbhai says with regards to 1% of the population probably is true. Not saying DR did not have a TV.
Yes, it is true...most middle class families did not have a TV. We had a black and white one and that too my Dad had bought it in 1983. In India almost no one bothered with a TV until Asiad 82 that was broadcast in color. So that is when folks started buying TV.