Time to shed the century fixation

Actually, I awoke this morning with the idea of writing a piece about this exact subject and came online and saw this topic. Even though a lot of the posts are about SRT and yesterday's match, I have a few thoughts about this so called 'century fixation'. Having watched cricket from about 1958, I have seen statistics take on a whole new perspective. Cricket is a fascinating game for the stats minded and it's one of the aspects I love about the game but personal milestones certainly have effected team totals more since about 1980 - give or take a few years. As a captain, I always encouraged personal goals and achievements - if they contributed to the team effort in a positive way. There's a programme on TV here called Late Night Legends in which they feature old sporting events. Recently, I've relived some of the magic moments in Test cricket from the 50s, 60s & 70s. What took my eye was the minimal fuss and celebration when personal milestones were reached or wickets taken. A batsman would maybe touch his cap in recognition of crowd applause when a 50 came up and touch the cap and raise the bat upon reaching a century. No big deal. Now, look at what happens. Batsmen react in orgasmic delight with leaps and bounds, kissing the helmet, being embraced by fellow batsmen, exaggerated skyward looks etc. The century has become such a worshipped happening it's not difficult to see why it overcomes batsmen these days. Then there's the commercial side of it. Michael Clarke had a $AU1.3 million bat contract before he'd even played a Test !! I think it's unfortunate because cricket is such a great team sport. I resisted writing was in the positive desire it remains so - even in the light of this anomaly existing and flourishing: A batsman who hits ten slow centuries and gets out shortly after is revered disproportionately more than one who hits ten fast 90s.
Well said!
Actually, I awoke this morning with the idea of writing a piece about this exact subject and came online and saw this topic. Even though a lot of the posts are about SRT and yesterday's match, I have a few thoughts about this so called 'century fixation'. Having watched cricket from about 1958, I have seen statistics take on a whole new perspective. Cricket is a fascinating game for the stats minded and it's one of the aspects I love about the game but personal milestones certainly have effected team totals more since about 1980 - give or take a few years. As a captain, I always encouraged personal goals and achievements - if they contributed to the team effort in a positive way. There's a programme on TV here called Late Night Legends in which they feature old sporting events. Recently, I've relived some of the magic moments in Test cricket from the 50s, 60s & 70s. What took my eye was the minimal fuss and celebration when personal milestones were reached or wickets taken. A batsman would maybe touch his cap in recognition of crowd applause when a 50 came up and touch the cap and raise the bat upon reaching a century. No big deal. Now, look at what happens. Batsmen react in orgasmic delight with leaps and bounds, kissing the helmet, being embraced by fellow batsmen, exaggerated skyward looks etc. The century has become such a worshipped happening it's not difficult to see why it overcomes batsmen these days. Then there's the commercial side of it. Michael Clarke had a $AU1.3 million bat contract before he'd even played a Test !! I think it's unfortunate because cricket is such a great team sport. I resisted writing was in the positive desire it remains so - even in the light of this anomaly existing and flourishing: A batsman who hits ten slow centuries and gets out shortly after is revered disproportionately more than one who hits ten fast 90s.
Point very well made Donny. :thumbs_up: To pick on what you suggested about the modern-day celebration, I also wonder in the same vein when did cricketers stopped being appreciative of their opponents? I mean how often do we see modern players clap when their opponents score a 100 much less 50 these days? Personally I remember seeing that aspect quite pervasive in 80s and seems to be going down by the day. I mean all said and done I am not sure if I have seen the same commaderie between two captains who fought tooth and nail on the field but with best manners, as I have read about Worrell-Benaud series down under including the Tied Test. Of course that doesnt mean the relationship was always great as Bodyline shows amply but it is prudent to think that today's cricket is akin to Bodyline, win at any cost, than what classical cricket is about - good fair game. xxx
What took my eye was the minimal fuss and celebration when personal milestones were reached or wickets taken. A batsman would maybe touch his cap in recognition of crowd applause when a 50 came up and touch the cap and raise the bat upon reaching a century. No big deal. Now, look at what happens. Batsmen react in orgasmic delight with leaps and bounds, kissing the helmet, being embraced by fellow batsmen, exaggerated skyward looks etc.
It is a sign of changing times. People in general I believe have moved from being modest and conservative to celebrative and demonstrative. That is true not just with pro atheletes, but with folks in all walks of life.
Absolutely, good observation. Every time I see the 70s or the 80s video the most striking aspect is the way they celebrated a wicket, fifty or a hundred. It was very low profile. Then the utmost desire perhaps was to win a game and if a hundred comes by you just take it. Now you ask even a very young cricketer what his aim for the weekend game is and you will hear he wants to get a fifty or a hundred. The personal milestones are pretty glorified these days.
Its the aussies who started these OTT celebrations. In fact they are still the ones who do this the worst, with ridiculously exubarant celebrations. They seem to be quite obssessed with personal milestones. They have brought a lot of bad things in to cricket!
i hope that was a sarcastic comment either tht or that you have clearly lost it
i hope that was a sarcastic comment either tht or that you have clearly lost it
NO! Did you see warne whinging about murali and he picks up wickets aginst bangla and zim. This is cos he wanted to have the most wickets and was pi##ed that murali will beat him. This shows a clear obsession with personal milestones. Do you see how they react when they get tons. They go nuts. More evidence of obssession with personal milestones. Look at how they introduced this waving the ball after 5 wickets to the crowd, aussies do this. Clear obssession with personal milestones. Look at how hayden whinged about indian obsession with milestones. Why did he do this? Just like warne pure jelously. Cos he knows he can never catch KING Sachin in tons and runs. He is bitter. Also his stupid theory has been shot down by stats ( see other threads). You are the crazy one if you think the aussies are not as obssessed, if not more obsessed with personal milesones. Do not let the fact that they keep on winning as a team fool you in this. They just happen to have great 11 players which means they win games. They still are all gunning for personal milestones and I have seen many many aussies slow down in 90s to ensure they get the ton and then kick on after that. You are very NAIVE if you think differently. Next you will be telling me they do not even know their stats and dont care as long as they keep winning as a team! I have played cricket with many aussies as our overseas player and they are just as obssessed at their own stats as the rest!

Are you the resident comedian around here, dsr ? :wink_smile: Warney is a mate of Murali's and is quite accepting of the probability of the SL magician overtaking his world record. Warne: "We always spoke about spin bowling. Spoke about who's hard to bowl to. Murali thinks it is Brian Lara, I believe Sachin Tendulkar is hard to bowl to. It is always good fun to catch up with Murali"

Murali and Warne against England :

[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]filtered              13  914.5  1836  93  9/65  16/220  19.74  2.00  59.0  6  4
                     [COLOR=#ff0000] 36 1792.5  4535 195  8/71  12/246  23.25  2.52  55.1 11  4[/COLOR][/FONT]

I wonder why Murali does not complain about Warne having got to play so many tests against them. BTW, when Warne got the opportunity to take the BD advantage he faltered badly making his words sound hollow. Extrapolating the above numbers, Murali would have 260 wickets in the same number of tests as Warne more than offsetting the supposed advantage he gained by playing BD.

As many others have. :regular_smile:
Well why did warney get smashed by the banglas? He did say that and it was obvious he was jelous cos he knew he could not attain his personal milestone of top wicket taker cos the superior murali would always beat him. Poor warney and his jelousy got the better of him. Not much of a claim to being best spinner when another guy has more wickets then you and superior avergae etc!
Are you the resident comedian around here, dsr ? :wink_smile: Warney is a mate of Murali's and is quite accepting of the probability of the SL magician overtaking his world record. Warne: "We always spoke about spin bowling. Spoke about who's hard to bowl to. Murali thinks it is Brian Lara, I believe Sachin Tendulkar is hard to bowl to. It is always good fun to catch up with Murali"
Why did waney say that about murali? Jelousy of his personal milestone is reason why. Selfish Warne!