Varun Aaron's 1st IPL wicket 2011 DD vs KXIP

rkt.india

^^at closest point at 0.08 the distance between bat and ball was more then one bat width, where did gilly think he was?? in australia? even there it wont swing that much. ball hurried him and kept low. he was beaten for pace and lack of bounce. he was playing across the line, the line doesnt even matter here.

Getting a 39 year old Gilchrist out when he's trying to slog. Wow. :clap: Not really a great delivery like the Pathan yorker, was it? In any case, a younger Gilly would have put that into the second tier. He'll probably still connect a few on his day but not with the same consistency obviously.
Bhai Gilly scored another 100 in the IPL in 50ish balls, what are you talking about. He is a professional and not like fishing Symonds. Gilly still does his homework and complete practice before IPL. If Pathan had bowled this delivery it would have gone for a toss as he was beaten for pace. It had went passed before his bat could have come down. Aaron gets some zip from the track and this ball jagged back in. If you had watched the game against CSK in Chennai on a flat track you would now how he gets zip of the track as well.

^^at closest point at 0.08 the distance between bat and ball was more then one bat width' date=' where did gilly think he was?? in australia? even there it wont swing that much. ball hurried him and kept low. he was beaten for pace and lack of bounce. he was playing across the line, the line doesnt even matter here.[/quote'] It did not kept low. It was a bouncy track and it was a fuller delivery.

I don't watch the circus but like I said he can still connect a few on his day. The fact is that he is still 39 and well past his peak. Give Sourav Ganguly a bat and ask him to play now and even he will fire in the odd match. You don't lose all your ability but it's no big deal if some kid knocks him over at this age. Regarding Pathan, I meant the 2004 yorker to Gilly. That was special and knocked Gilchrist over (or even Akhtar cleaning him up from round the wicket with a yorker). This delivery was nothing special.

I don't watch the circus but like I said he can still connect a few on his day. The fact is that he is still 39 and well past his peak. Give Sourav Ganguly a bat and ask him to play now and even he will fire in the odd match. You don't lose all your ability but it's no big deal if some kid knocks him over at this age. Regarding Pathan, I meant the 2004 yorker to Gilly. That was special and knocked Gilchrist over (or even Akhtar cleaning him up from round the wicket with a yorker). This delivery was nothing special.
You are forgetting the situation and conditions. Those were old ball and there was reverse swing. You need to see this was a different delivery. it seamed back in and Gilly missed it. This was not a yorker, but it came back in. Glichrist scored 383 runs in the IPL. it is not quite hit and miss. Gilly is only 39 and he still practices and plays local clubs games in Australia. According to your logic, as he is 39, then SRT and RD are passed as well. This logic stands for guys like Symonds, not for Glichrist. Gilchrist could have easily played still if he wanted but he decided to give others chance and hanged his boot. He has done as good as any in IPL all seasons. He was not bad with the bat, his keeping had gone down.

It did not kept low. It was a bouncy track and it was a fuller delivery.
dude its barely rose, gilly played inches above the ball he was expecting it to bounce much further. he may also have misjudged the length. but that ball just skidded and kept low.

dude its barely rose' date=' gilly played inches above the ball he was expecting it to bounce much further. he may also have misjudged the length. but that ball just skidded and kept low.[/quote'] Yaar it was pitched up and was not short. Cant you see where it hit the stumps. It hit top pf the stumps. It was not low. He played right shot, but he played all around it as it came back in with the angle and of the seam.

You are forgetting the situation and conditions. Those were old ball and there was reverse swing. You need to see this was a different delivery. it seamed back in and Gilly missed it. This was not a yorker, but it came back in. Glichrist scored 383 runs in the IPL. it is not quite hit and miss. Gilly is only 39 and he still practices and plays local clubs games in Australia. According to your logic, as he is 39, then SRT and RD are passed as well. This logic stands for guys like Symonds, not for Glichrist. Gilchrist could have easily played still if he wanted but he decided to give others chance and hanged his boot. He has done as good as any in IPL all seasons. He was not bad with the bat, his keeping had gone down.
Point 1) It wasn't a special delivery like the Akhtar/Pathan ones Point 2) Gilchrist is a retired player while the likes of Tendulkar are active. It is not the same thing. And yes, Tendulkar IS past his absolute best. Anyone who thinks otherwise didn't watch him at his best or doesn't follow the game closely. His recent stats are great but he isn't anywhere as good as he was. If some kid knocks him over today, does it mean as much as knocking him over when he was 25? Not in my view. Does beating a 30 year old Federer (in a sport where players decline in their late 20s) mean as much as beating the 25 year old Federer at his best?

Point 1) It wasn't a special delivery like the Akhtar/Pathan ones Point 2) Gilchrist is a retired player while the likes of Tendulkar are active. It is not the same thing. And yes, Tendulkar IS past his absolute best. Anyone who thinks otherwise didn't watch him at his best or doesn't follow the game closely. His recent stats are great but he isn't anywhere as good as he was. If some kid knocks him over today, does it mean as much as knocking him over when he was 25? Not in my view. Does beating a 30 year old Federer (in a sport where players decline in their late 20s) mean as much as beating the 25 year old Federer at his best?
It is if the player is playing as good as any in the format. Look at Andre Agassi, he prospered after that age and was hard to beat. Regarding SRT, he is better now in terms of dismissing him apart from England tour. In his younger days, he was flashy and used to throw his wicket as well so that argument does not stand. It is not about age. It is about how he is playing. Delivery was not special but it was good enough to beat the bat as it seamed it and Gilchrist was reasonably successful as a batsman in IPL. If he was not successful, I would have taken yours words. If you had watched him play, you would have not been saying that. Some players never get old.

His keeping was becoming poor and his batting was in decline. In fact, he wasn't the same player after the 2005 Ashes. He scored that hundred in Perth but barely averaged 30 with the bat in his last 25 tests or so. This was at the end of his test career and that was 3 and half years back!

His keeping was becoming poor and his batting was in decline. In fact' date=' he wasn't the same player after the 2005 Ashes. He scored that hundred in Perth but barely averaged 30 with the bat in his last 25 tests or so. This was at the end of his test career and that was 3 and half years back![/quote'] But those were tests, surviving in tests is much harder than T20s and scoring in them. It is not this wicket was of some useless batsman. He still has better record than many in IPL so I don't see any thing wrong, may be he needed the break from cricket which he took and retired, pretty much like Harbhajan who has dismal average and SR in test cricket in last 3 years. Every player can have bad patch and I believe that was just bad patch in his career but he took a big decision where he could have easily taken rest and come back again. It was a premature retirement, IMO.

But those were tests' date=' surviving in tests is much harder than T20s and scoring in them. [b']It is not this wicket was of some useless batsman. He still has better record than many in IPL so I don't see any thing wrong, may be he needed the break from cricket which he took and retired, pretty much like Harbhajan who has dismal average and SR in test cricket in last 3 years.
I never said that it was. My point is that knocking over a 39 year old Gilly when he is trying to slog with an average ball is nothing to jump about.

But those were tests, surviving in tests is much harder than T20s and scoring in them. It is not this wicket was of some useless batsman. He still has better record than many in IPL so I don't see any thing wrong, may be he needed the break from cricket which he took and retired, pretty much like Harbhajan who has dismal average and SR in test cricket in last 3 years. Every player can have bad patch and I believe that was just bad patch in his career but he took a big decision where he could have easily taken rest and come back again. It was a premature retirement, IMO.
Yes he could have but not for long. His keeping was becoming poor and his batting was in decline like I said.