West Indies tour of India, Nov-Dec 2011

ganeshran

Didn't these jokers tell MSD that he cannot rest from the ODIs as the team needs him? And now they have a nearly unanimous decision that he can take rest from the tests? Hope its only speculation and not what happens in the selection meeting. If at all he needs rest, why is he going to play in the useless t20 tomorrow?

Didn't these jokers tell MSD that he cannot rest from the ODIs as the team needs him? And now they have a nearly unanimous decision that he can take rest from the tests? Hope its only speculation and not what happens in the selection meeting. If at all he needs rest, why is he going to play in the useless t20 tomorrow?
No wonder BCC takes the mick out of tests and chases money shamelessley. Look at all the so called cricket fans on this forum. Supporting a decision and actually wanting the indian cricket captain to rest from a home test series. There is no reasonable reason for him resting here. As if needed rest then can easily have been planned. As in could have missed champs league or odi series against eng or 20/20 against eng or windies odi series. But no rests from actually our most important games as in tests. If the fans support such decisions and let BBCI of the hook and no public pressure is put on them. Then this will get worse and worse. But the fans seem more keen on him playing odis or club games, i despair for indian cricket and its pathetic new generation fans.

People wanting an injured keeper to play test cricket does not have much understanding of it. They claim to love and proritize tests but do not understand how harmful a dropped catch can be in tests. If a catch is dropped in an ODI it can be made up later as the batsman is trying to hit constantly. Even if that batsman scores heavily it is just an ODI. But a batsman dropped on 20 might score 220 and take a test match away, a rare precious test match. It is a sad day when the self proclaimed lovers of tests just does not understand its specialities and traits properly..

People wanting an injured keeper to play test cricket does not have much understanding of it. They claim to love and proritize tests but do not understand how harmful a dropped catch can be in tests. If a catch is dropped in an ODI it can be made up later as the batsman is trying to hit constantly. Even if that batsman scores heavily it is just an ODI. But a batsman dropped on 20 might score 220 and take a test match away' date=' a rare precious test match. It is a sad day when the self proclaimed lovers of tests just does not understand its specialities and traits properly..[/quote'] Er injured hand fine. So shame new generation fans who love IPL could not engage brain before posting. So we all knew he was tired, batterd hands and needing rest after england test series. So how about this for an amazing piece of logic from me. He rests his battered hands etc etc after england series. AS IN MISS CLUB GAMES AND THE ODIS V ENGLAND!!!! Then miss odi series v windies! Why are fans making excuses for this. We all knew he needed rest months back. But why is he not resting in games before windies tests and after the tests. In fact the logic of pathetic new fans makes no sense. As his hands were battered after england test series. So why make them worse and play in chmaps leage and odis. Our cricket has all its priorities wrong. and the whole thing disgusts me.
Dhoni has a heck of a lot to prove in test matches. He jas under performed in tests. He should be gagging to play in tests to prove he is great player. Instead he seems content to be known as good limited overs player. Rest my ****. The guy needs all the games he can in test cricket so he can actually become better and of real value in tests.
You are totally wrong. Even if he scores runs against Windies at home, that won't count much. He is mentally tired. Best thing to do is just go away from lime light and cricket for 1 month. thats it, that will do him really good. We will see fresh and raring to go Dhoni for Australia. Ideally he should have rested for England ODI series as well, but that did not happen, I guess BCCI wanted our best team possible after our loses against them. But this is windies, we can knock them without Dhoni. We need to protect our players so that they play longer. What if he plays tests and aggravates his finger injuries?? Sometimes you got to choose and pick. Australia is far more important tour.
Er injured hand fine. So shame new generation fans who love IPL could not engage brain before posting. So we all knew he was tired, batterd hands and needing rest after england test series. So how about this for an amazing piece of logic from me. He rests his battered hands etc etc after england series. AS IN MISS CLUB GAMES AND THE ODIS V ENGLAND!!!! Then miss odi series v windies! Why are fans making excuses for this. We all knew he needed rest months back. But why is he not resting in games before windies tests and after the tests. In fact the logic of pathetic new fans makes no sense. As his hands were battered after england test series. So why make them worse and play in chmaps leage and odis. Oub cricket has all its priorities wrong. and the whole thing disgusts me.
Who are these fans that you are refering to that have claimed that he should play club cricket, injure himself further and miss tests ? I actually agreed with you that he should have missed Champion's league. Problem is Dhoni does not take instructions from you or I. He makes his own decisions. Club cricket is being prioritized ahead of playing for the country. That is really really BAD. There should be strong protests from all Indians involved. It is not only Dhoni but Gambhir, Sehwag etc. have also done the same. Sehwag injured his shoulders further, perhaps irrevocably so, by playing IPL. This situation is unacceptable. But the decision to miss Champ league 2011 etc. cannot be taken now -- it is a thing of the past. From a decision making point of view, we should decide what the best team for the upcoming tour of Windies should be, taking into account the need to win comprehensively as well as groom youngsters for the future as this is a weak opposition and we are playing at home. All decisions should be taken from our country's point of view and individuals are not important. We should choose only fit players who are the best right now and a couple maybe to groom for the future.

It made perfect sense for Dhoni to play the England ODIs since most of our seniors are injured and losing the ODI series would have been catostrophic on every level. Yes he should have rested from CLT20 but we all know no player thinks like that.Its pointless debating that. There is nothing wrong with him resting WI tests and ODIs so that he is fresh for Aus tour physically and mentally. Frankly if we need Dhoni to beat WI at home then we should stop playing test cricket.

Clearly, Dhoni and PK are the 2 players who have been playing non stop since the past 4-5 months. They absolutely need to be managed otherwise a break-down is quite possible. Tbh, Dhoni is not indispensable for our test side at the moment. I think Gambhir can lead the side against the windies and with ishant being back, it should take care of PK's spot. I agree with most of the posters on here..... this series is really a chance to try out youngsters. West Indies at home without Gayle is about as easy as it gets in test matches. The selectors should not waste this opportunity.

Repeatly saying "Dhoni should take rest from IPL/CL" and thumping your chest is a moot point. He gets paid much more for a smaller stint there. Obviously he will want to play it. Plus the whole thing is an officially sanctioned tourney not something he is going behind the board's back to play. If BCCI wants people to take rest from IPL/CL too then they should start increasing test match fees comparable to the IPL income. If we had done well in England, I would have supported his missing the ODI series vs England, but we needed to be on top of our game to outclass England like we did and Dhoni played a big part in it. This is a home series and a great chance to test the next in line. Our big guns GG,RD and VVS, (probably) SRT are going to play. I dont see anything wrong with him resting from the Windies tests. everyone needs to be matchfit for the Australia series and its upto selectors to ensure we dont have a repeat of the injuries on the England tour

this series doesnt matter at all. even indian B team can at least draw, if not win, against WI. i think all the seniors should be rested, so they're fit for the big series down under. Young bowlers that we saw in england ODIs should be played in the WI tests. and we have enough batsmen as it is who can easily score at home, so no dearth of talent there. Bowlers: PK, UY/VA, Ashwin, Ojha Batsmen: doesnt matter, just randomly select any batsmen with >50 FC avg and he can score big at home Keeper: PP

We saw how resting senior pro's in WI tour worked out for us in the England tour. Rest doesn't mean that they'll perform. Seniors haven't played one day anyway so why rest? They're athelets, not some pregnant ladies who need rest all the time. They can skip the ODI's against WI however. Apart from the no.6 spot, the rest team should be full strength imo.

1st Test Squad - Aaron, Umesh, Viru, Dhoni, Yuvi playing & Bhajji dropped :yay: Veeru also back :yay: All other seniors will play the series. Dhoni is also there,no rest . And Bhajji axed from the test team as well. Team selected for 1st test only. Source:News Channel and team list announced by Srikant :--D Squad for first Test: M S Dhoni (capt & wk), Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Virat Kohli, Varun Aaron, Ajinkya Rahane, Rahul Sharma .