Happy Diwali!!!

ganeshran

Texy and Sree have both mentioned dandiya. I've never come across people playing dandiya on Diwali. :confused: Its not at all the norm here. Dandiya is generally restricted to Navratri time. On the topic of noise pollution and people not bursting crackers. What the hell man, Diwali without crackers is like CSK without Dhoni, i.e its nothing. The whole idea is to make a lot of noise. Don't worry much about losing your hearing. Hearing is over rated. 99.9999999% of the people on this planet are not worth listening to anyways. The remainder won't talk to you. I say go ahead and burst crackers. ------------------------------------------------------------- Once again, Happy Diwali guys. :icflove: This has been my best Diwali ever.

On the topic of noise pollution and people not bursting crackers. What the hell man, Diwali without crackers is like CSK without Dhoni, i.e its nothing. The whole idea is to make a lot of noise. Don't worry much about losing your hearing. Hearing is over rated. 99.9999999% of the people on this planet are not worth listening to anyways. The remainder won't talk to you. I say go ahead and burst crackers. .
:nice: I am stealing this for use sometime, somewhere in future.

Do you use iPhone/laptop etc.?
I know you will pull out a comparison with Chinese electronic factories, but fireworks factories are a thousand times worse. The kids handle gunpowder with their bare hands, it goes into their system giving them respiratory ailments. There are frequent accidents which results in loss of life and limb. They are underfed and overworked, its appalling.

I know you will pull out a comparison with Chinese electronic factories' date=' but fireworks factories are a thousand times worse. The kids handle gunpowder with their bare hands, it goes into their system giving them respiratory ailments. There are frequent accidents which results in loss of life and limb. They are underfed and overworked, its appalling.[/quote'] Its like saying murder by poison should be more acceptable than murder by strangulation..

Its like saying murder by poison should be more acceptable than murder by strangulation..
no it isnt. The working conditions in Fireworks factories are much poorer than in Chinese electronic factories. They may be equally poor in the cheap plastic goods factories. They face long term health implications, risk of accident, long working hours, malnutrition and lack of education. Its a social disaster. The reputed fireworks brands are now said to be free of child labour, but majority of fireworks sold are made in unregistered units at home which are subject to no regulation.

no it isnt. The working conditions in Fireworks factories are much poorer than in Chinese electronic factories. They may be equally poor in the cheap plastic goods factories. They face long term health implications, risk of accident, long working hours, malnutrition and lack of education. Its a social disaster. The reputed fireworks brands are now said to be free of child labour, but majority of fireworks sold are made in unregistered units at home which are subject to no regulation.
So child labour, in 'better conditions than that are in fireworks factories', is acceptable to you?

So child labour' date=' in 'better conditions than that are in fireworks factories', is acceptable to you?[/quote'] no child labor is acceptable. But your comparison with electronic factories is wrong because of the vastly different conditions. Also reputed brands have much better checks against child labour in factories than what unorganized fireworks factories do.

Awesome. Surprising one for me is Japan. There are not that many Indian in Japan if I know correctly and so, the density of fireworks even more than Indian is a bit surprising. However, Japan's majority are followers of Buddhism and some sects of Buddhism especially the ones who believe and follow King Ashoka celebrate Diwali as the day when Ashoka converted to Buddhism. That can be the only explanation otherwise the most density of fireworks in Japan and even more than India is a bit surprising. Also somewhat surprising is the density of fireworks in Kashmir including perhaps PoK and eastern belt of Pakistan from what I can see. Also somewhat surprising is the density of fireworks in Western Europe. UK is fine as there is huge Indian population there but the rest is a bit surprising as I doubt there are so many Indians there to have more density than India. Buddhist or Sikh factor cannot be there too as their density is not that high either being Christian majority countries unlike East and South East Asia where Indian religions are in significant numbers.

no child labor is acceptable. But your comparison with electronic factories is wrong because of the vastly different conditions. Also reputed brands have much better checks against child labour in factories than what unorganized fireworks factories do.
I am not comparing the working conditions. I am pointing out the double standards in - not choosing to use crackers on moral grounds ( that many of them might be coming from factories employing child labor in poor conditions) and advertising it to others as if, by doing so you are on higher moral ground than others. Whereas on the other hand, you choose to ignore the very same moral grounds while using other items (iphone/laptops/electronics), that you can not live w/o. On the point of 'reputed brands' have better checks.. They just complete the documentation required by their local laws. When it comes to getting cheaper parts from China/Taiwan, businesses don't give a fvck about working conditions at those factories. I haven't heard many examples of them shutting their supply chains on moral grounds. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7330986/Apple-admits-using-child-labour.html That is with reputed companies, you can imagine how it would be with lesser names. As for the comparison of working conditions - when it is about cheap/child labour, it is most certainly going to be characterized by conditions not suitable for health, and long term side effects...be it a fireworks factory or electronics factory. Which is why I said, a murder is a murder - regardless of the method. e.g. excerpt from the above link -
"Last week, it emerged that 62 workers at a factory that manufactures products for Apple and Nokia had been poisoned by n-hexane, a toxic chemical that can cause muscular degeneration and blur eyesight. "
Also, a shiny and up-market end product does not guarantee that it came through a clean chain (in terms of working conditions).