Ashraful can walk into the Indian lineup

As I said MP' date=' none other than the 3 put fear in the opponents. You may quote as many rare occurings as you can but we all know what transpired in the World Cup. None of those names other than the 3 will even be taken seriously by non Pakistanis.[/quote'] We might have to agree to disagree here but i don't see how you can gauge a team's test batting lineup by their performance in 2 ODIs...didn't IND perform similarly to PAK in the WC so does that mean they have a mediocre test batting lineup too?
We might have to agree to disagree here but i don't see how you can gauge a team's test batting lineup by their performance in 2 ODIs...didn't IND perform similarly to PAK in the WC so does that mean they have a mediocre test batting lineup too?
Absolutely. I'll be kidding if I rate Indian batting anything but mediocre at this point in time. Both India and Pakistan's batting has been mediocre at the best. It's not too long ago both teams came crashing in South Africa test series. Thanks to the bowling India won a test match apiece. Pakistan lost by innings, 10 wickets, you name it they did in the ODIs in South Africa. Similarly India lost non stop ODIs not being able to bat out full 50 overs. Only at home both teams scored and that is all they are capable of. I don't really trust either team is on the rise. Although India has done well recently I still am not sure if they are going to consistently score enough. I hope they do though.

Pakistan's sh*tty opening combo will never score runs, no matter how flat the surface is. Salman Butt is a flawed talent, and Imran Nazir is by no means a test cricketer. The one who had some class and genuine run-scoring ability was Yasir Hamid, but he is no longer part of the set-up. Pakistani openers are easy meat. As for Younis, he is a good player but let's compare him to other #3's out there. AUS have Ponting, IND have Dravid, SL have Sangakkara, SA have Kallis. No comparison there. Yousuf is comparable to any other batsman at the moment, so fair enough. Inzamam however, is worthless away from home and was rubbish throughout last season, averaging well under 40. The only pitches he has scored on in recent years (you could actually say this for his whole career) are the dead ones in the subcontinent. Shoaib Malik is not a test player. Kamran Akmal averages under 30 after playing 2 seasons of Test cricket - that says it all. He isn't good enough with the bat, nor with the gloves. Pakistan's lower order is a joke, to be fair, especially with Naved out. No wonder they collapsed on so many occasions against ENG and SA.

Yasir Hameed IMO is no better than Farat or Butt. They will make good fishermen. They can get away in ODIs but not in test matches. Younis I rate as the best among Inzi, Yousuf and Inzi(I know I'll be shot down for this but it's my personal opinion). Younis is quite similar to Rahul Dravid, he is an unassuming character and although won't look as classy as Yousuf or Inzi he does make runs.

Pakistan's sh*tty opening combo will never score runs, no matter how flat the surface is. Salman Butt is a flawed talent, and Imran Nazir is by no means a test cricketer. The one who had some class and genuine run-scoring ability was Yasir Hamid, but he is no longer part of the set-up. Pakistani openers are easy meat. As for Younis, he is a good player but let's compare him to other #3's out there. AUS have Ponting, IND have Dravid, SL have Sangakkara, SA have Kallis. No comparison there. Yousuf is comparable to any other batsman at the moment, so fair enough. Inzamam however, is worthless away from home and was rubbish throughout last season, averaging well under 40. The only pitches he has scored on in recent years (you could actually say this for his whole career) are the dead ones in the subcontinent. Shoaib Malik is not a test player. Kamran Akmal averages under 30 after playing 2 seasons of Test cricket - that says it all. He isn't good enough with the bat, nor with the gloves. Pakistan's lower order is a joke, to be fair, especially with Naved out. No wonder they collapsed on so many occasions against ENG and SA.
few points 1- Kallis doesn't bat at #3 Amla does. Secondly how is Younis vs Sangakara a "no comparison". 2- Very recently Inzi won PAK a test match in SA, his record in matches won is better than any modern day batsman. 3- Considering what has happened in the last 2 IND PAK series it's slightly surprising that you guys don't rate Akmal.
Yasir Hameed IMO is no better than Farat or Butt. They will make good fishermen. They can get away in ODIs but not in test matches. Younis I rate as the best among Inzi, Yousuf and Inzi(I know I'll be shot down for this but it's my personal opinion). Younis is quite similar to Rahul Dravid, he is an unassuming character and although won't look as classy as Yousuf or Inzi he does make runs.
I agree playing him as an opener in tests was a big mistake he is more of a #3 batsman and with Younis Khan and Malik guaranteed a spot in the team there is no room for Y Hameed. Any specific reason why you don't rate Inzi?
I agree playing him as an opener in tests was a big mistake he is more of a #3 batsman and with Younis Khan and Malik guaranteed a spot in the team there is no room for Y Hameed. Any specific reason why you don't rate Inzi?
I didn't say I don't rate Inzi, he is an excellent batsman. He has his drawbacks like everyone. Inzi can be up and down with his batting. I guess it depends on his mood and mental makeup. Sometimes he seems pretty disinterested and looks like he's just out there for the sake of it. Still when he looks like he has his mind set on the game he is pretty good. Inzi despite all his experience doesn't take much responsibility as a batter. He always prefers to bat down the order. That simply is not acceptable for an experience batter like him. I would like to see him bat at no.3 or four even if Younis and Yousuf has to bat at 3 or 4. Younis is a busy player and always looks positive to me whatever the situation. He oozes certain confidence and also bats up the order. Considering the fickle Pakistan openers Younis is always there batting against the new ball and against fresh bowlers. He seems to still do well despite all that. He is the least naturally gifted in the line up but he looks so assured every time he walks out to the middle. He really looks like he enjoys his cricket.
Right now there aint a better pacer in India than Mashrafe -
and immediately you name two exceptions. Thanks, Sandro. You continue to give me a daily chuckle. :wink_smile:
Besides ' date=' I would take Sachin , Rahul or laxman into my team over Ashraful anyday.[/quote'] By my reckoning, they are already in the Indian team, mm. Ashy's talent is not the issue. Like most Test batsmen, he's oozing talent but that's really only the first ingredient. His excellent 129 n.o. in the second Test v. SL was certainly a step in the right direction, albeit when the match was lost, but his failure rate is quite high. Eight Tests back, he scored 136 against SL in a Test at Chittagong. Since then, he's failed to reach 30 in 11 innings, 7 of which were 7 runs or under. It was another 8 Tests back to his previous Test ton, 158* against India, also at Chittagong. Between that innings and his 136, he had 12 innings under 30, and again 7 of those were under 7 runs. Unfortunately, he's had a poor example of inspiration from his former skipper, Habi Bashar. Very talented as well but all too often threw his innings away with indiscriminate strokes.
By my reckoning, they are already in the Indian team, mm.
i said in the context of - when i sit down to pick the Indian middle order , i would write down those three names first , so there wouldnt be a place for Ashraful . BTW , what is "Sandro" ?
and immediately you name two exceptions. Thanks, Sandro. You continue to give me a daily chuckle.
:teeth_smile: You would like reading Charles Dickens then- he was one of my favourite authors- i got the way of passive sentence construction from his writings. Certainly not the most favoured writing style today, though.
What's with you and Bangladesh players Gambo? The last time you were very excited about Tamim and now Ashraful :tounge_smile: Ashraful is not a bad bat but with his kind of consistency he only will be able to play for Bangladesh and nothing more. In every season he scores 1 fifty or a hundred, that's about it. Just because someone looks good it doesn't mean he can walk into any other team. Let alone India he cannot even walk into Pakistan cricket team :tounge_smile:
He would probably have to grow a a beard for that :giggle:
Guest dada_rocks

there are at leasn a dozen talented stroke players in indian domestic setup who blow hot and cold and still manaage betetr average than this bhongi lilliput.. he is so freaking pver-rated and the reaosn he plays for the $hittiest team, ever to play test cricket.. kahte hain na andhone mein kana raja wahin case hai..

I didn't say I don't rate Inzi, he is an excellent batsman. He has his drawbacks like everyone. Inzi can be up and down with his batting. I guess it depends on his mood and mental makeup. Sometimes he seems pretty disinterested and looks like he's just out there for the sake of it. Still when he looks like he has his mind set on the game he is pretty good. Inzi despite all his experience doesn't take much responsibility as a batter. He always prefers to bat down the order. That simply is not acceptable for an experience batter like him. I would like to see him bat at no.3 or four even if Younis and Yousuf has to bat at 3 or 4. Younis is a busy player and always looks positive to me whatever the situation. He oozes certain confidence and also bats up the order. Considering the fickle Pakistan openers Younis is always there batting against the new ball and against fresh bowlers. He seems to still do well despite all that. He is the least naturally gifted in the line up but he looks so assured every time he walks out to the middle. He really looks like he enjoys his cricket.
Fair points Ravi! I personally judge a player by the number of innings in pressure situations and the number of games he has won for his country and in that regard the other 2 aren't even close to Inzi.

On the face of it, Ash is good enough for the Indian team, but it's a different kettle of fish playing for a 'mature' team than an immature one. A mature team is one that knows how to win, and where half the team at least is compsed of 'stars'. sometimes, It's easier being a lotus in a mud pond than just another lotus - the whole perspective changes.

Younis is a busy player and always looks positive to me whatever the situation. He is the least naturally gifted in the line up...
Least naturally gifted?? Being positive is the biggest gift, then comes a healthy range of shots, and pencil in strength ,as in hitting sixes (especially against India). :confused_smile: