My computer is fecked up. . . Needs help

JeffThommo_fan

1 last thing, plz guys. Tell me, whatever data that I have in my present hard-disk, Can i transfer it to new hard-disk. I mean, if present hard-disk has any viruses, and I m sure, it'd be having lots of viruses then will it get transferred to new computer, new hard-disk as well
depends on what (and how) data you are going to back up, and what you will do with that. In short - if its just documents, pictures, movies - then no, no viruses will be transferred. But if you back up some infected programs (freeware, pirated s/w), that you "install" on the new harddisk - then it can be transferred.. to safeguard against that, first thing you install on the fresh system - is an antivirus, a good one, and not pirated one....With that, whatever you install, in most likelihood, it will detect any new infected stuff. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free antivirus.

@ Bhanu You are talking about dollars mate' date=' I live in India mate and I don't want to buy computers online. I'd rather like to go to shop and buy some pc or laptop there. But, basically I am looking for some cheap solution, If I don't have to buy a new one or rather carry on with the present one[/quote'] Well you could get a computer assembled to your specs .... Or get one from companies like Zenith

1 last thing, plz guys. Tell me, whatever data that I have in my present hard-disk, Can i transfer it to new hard-disk. I mean, if present hard-disk has any viruses, and I m sure, it'd be having lots of viruses then will it get transferred to new computer, new hard-disk as well
by data, I assume you are talking abt world, excel, PP, etc files, along with pictures, music, etc .... I guess you could burn that on a cd/DVD or transfer to a flash drive and open these files on your new computer. I assume you ll transfer the data after checking for viruses .... Software you can just install on the new comp Ps Be sure to dispose your old pc properly or donate .... There are org who ship such old pcs to schools in places Africa, iirc

Suggest me some good anti-virus or do I need to change the processor. Basically' date=' it is stone-age era computer, bought in 2006. Intel P4, 3.06 GHz, 256 Ram, 80 GB HDD. It hangs up after every two minutes and is extremely slow. I have used that guardian antivirus as well as avasti. Sometimes, it become so irritating, that I want throw it from top of my building[/quote'] I am still using my desktop which I bought in 2004. It's P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, with Windows XP SP2 as the operating system. I not only use it for regular surfing but also do graphic design on it. Don't throw your PC if you don't have the money to buy a new one. Do the following: 1. Upgrade your 256MB RAM to at least 1GB. 2. Do a complete format. This will speed up your PC and it will feel like new, but remember to backup any important data. 3. Install Symantec Antivirus (Corporate edition). This is a streamlined version of Norton Antivirus (retail) and uses minimal system resources. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ifz3ydj43az If I can still use by old computer every single day and be happy with it, you sure can do it too. :winky:

I am still using my desktop which I bought in 2004. It's P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, with Windows XP SP2 as the operating system. I not only use it for regular surfing but also do graphic design on it. Don't throw your PC if you don't have the money to buy a new one. Do the following: 1. Upgrade your 256MB RAM to at least 1GB. 2. Do a complete format. This will speed up your PC and it will feel like new, but remember to backup any important data. 3. Install Symantec Antivirus (Corporate edition). This is a streamlined version of Norton Antivirus (retail) and uses minimal system resources. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ifz3ydj43az If I can still use by old computer every single day and be happy with it, you sure can do it too. :winky:
Digi :woot: Great to see you back man. Where were you?

I am still using my desktop which I bought in 2004. It's P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, with Windows XP SP2 as the operating system. I not only use it for regular surfing but also do graphic design on it. Don't throw your PC if you don't have the money to buy a new one. Do the following: 1. Upgrade your 256MB RAM to at least 1GB. 2. Do a complete format. This will speed up your PC and it will feel like new, but remember to backup any important data. 3. Install Symantec Antivirus (Corporate edition). This is a streamlined version of Norton Antivirus (retail) and uses minimal system resources. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ifz3ydj43az If I can still use by old computer every single day and be happy with it, you sure can do it too. :winky:
Thanks a lot buddy!! I will definitely try that. One thing that I can't do is, completely formatting my computer. It has data of somewhere around 68 gb and I don't want to lose it. Today, I asked the price of 1 gb RAM here, it is somewhere around Rs 1200, which is OK. But Eventually I will have to buy a new pc.

depends on what (and how) data you are going to back up, and what you will do with that. In short - if its just documents, pictures, movies - then no, no viruses will be transferred. But if you back up some infected programs (freeware, pirated s/w), that you "install" on the new harddisk - then it can be transferred.. to safeguard against that, first thing you install on the fresh system - is an antivirus, a good one, and not pirated one....With that, whatever you install, in most likelihood, it will detect any new infected stuff. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free antivirus.
Yep, I got your point. I need to buy a proper company original antivirus and install on my new computer first and then start downloading any stuff or softwares from the internet. And I can transfer back-up files like movies and pics without any trouble. Thanx, I ve now all the options