Tendulkar 200* Vs Sehwag 219

1983-2011

Tendulkar 200* Vs Sehwag 219  

1. 1.

@ UG and DM - I am not looking at it historically. I am just looking at the quality of the innings and the situation under which they were played. If we look at Viru's innings historically, it has very little worth. He scored 219 against a team ranked 8th in the world on a flat wicket in a pretty much useless series. Also, the ZIM team was pretty ordinary. They just had an upset victory over Australia, pretty much the way the Bangbros had upset victories over India and SAF in the same world cup. Historically, there is no doubt that the 175 is possibly the single-most important innings played in the history of ODIs for India, as it gave the team the belief that they can overhaul seemingly impossible targets. But I am looking at it situationally, and the quality of the opposition attack does bother me in these comparisons.

Without a doubt the greatest knock of all has to be Kapil's 175. He did it in a era where there were no helmets and no powerplays. Not only was he the captain but he also bowled 11 overs and fielded. This was a world cup knockout match he came into and his team was already 5 down. Not out, not on a flat track and not in his home country. Zimbabwe were not the minnows they are now in 1983. Regardless they had India Kapil's wicket away from sure victory. Absolutely no room for error and he still had the balls to hit six sixes. There is no tape of this match you had to be there to see the brilliance. By far the best 175+ score ever. Viv's, Anwars, Sachins and Sehwag's innings might had some of the above qualities but nothing close to all of them. :bow:

Dhoni kept hitting the big ones and Sach would take singles and hand him over the strike playing the perfect anchorman. The way it should be done.
So you need an anchor in the last few overs with Ind 3 wkts down! .... From what I remember, Dhoni took over completely when he realized that Sachin wouldn't be able to get the big ones going because of fatigue. And because Dhoni succeeded, it allowed SRT to :stickyman: to his 200 Except of this part, it was a good inning
I voted for SRT for the following reasons... 1. SRT's knock came against SA which is a far stronger team than WI 2. SA had the likes of Steyn, Morkel, Kallis, Parnell who are better than Roach and Rampaul (at least Steyn and Morkel are) 3. SRT's innings was chanceless whereas Sehwag had a sitter dropped. 4. SRT had to score against SA fielding which is best in the world whereas WI in the field today was almost "comedy of errors" with catches and runout chances missed and misfields galore.
Morkel didnot play the game...
Without a doubt the greatest knock of all has to be Kapil's 175. He did it in a era where there were no helmets and no powerplays. Not only was he the captain but he also bowled 11 overs and fielded. This was a world cup knockout match he came into and his team was already 5 down. Not out, not on a flat track and not in his home country. Zimbabwe were not the minnows they are now in 1983. Regardless they had India Kapil's wicket away from sure victory. Absolutely no room for error and he still had the balls to hit six sixes. There is no tape of this match you had to be there to see the brilliance. By far the best 175+ score ever. Viv's, Anwars, Sachins and Sehwag's innings might had some of the above qualities but nothing close to all of them. :bow:
Kapil's 175 was a great knock but some of the myths associated with it need to be busted: 1) There were no helmets in that era - Graham Yallop was the first person to wear a helmet way back in 1978 in international cricket, so it was not that helmets were not available. It was upto people to choose it, and most were not so comfortable wearing it at the beginning. 2) India was batting first, so Kapil's bowling or fielding did not really affect his level of fitness or energy while batting 3) This was NOT a world cup knockout match - This was a group league match (each group had 4 teams in them and each team would play the other teams twice, ending up playing six matches in total). India was playing their 5th game, having beaten WI and ZIm once, and had lost to WI and Aus once. It was an important match, but had India lost the match even then they would have had a chance of qualifying. In fact, had India lost the match eventually, they would have still qualified since they beat Australia in the last match of the league. At the end of the group league phase, WI were on 20 points, India on 16 points, Aus had 8 points and Zim 4. 4) Track - Whether it was a seaming wicket or a flat track, there isn't any evidence. The match was never recorded, and this is the only ever ODI played at the Tunbridge Wells in its history. But Zim scored 235 in response to India's 266, implying that it was not too difficult a wicket to bat on. 5) Minnows - Zim were not Minnows then, they were SUPER MINNOWS. This was their 5th match in their history of ODIs, and in their first ten years of ODIs (from 1983-1993), they lost 28 matches out of the 30 they played. If this is not a minnow team, I don't know what minnows are. And Kapil had to face a bowling attack of Rawson, Curran, Butchart, (Duncan) Fletcher and Traicos - who had not invidually played more than 4 ODIs in their entire lives. This must be one of the weakest bowling units against which a 175+ score have been made. I do agree that Kapil did a fabulous job of winning this for India under adverse conditions, and had a great 9th wicket record partnership, but the match was never a do-or-die and the opposition was pretty lalloo one. They did upset the Aussies in the tournament, but they lost all the other 5 matches.
without using cricinfo, I don't remember if he has any other score in 180s so am making sure the 180 score he is talking abt is the one atTauton (the one I remember watching) .... if he is talking abt that then I don't even know if it should be rated along side Kapil's classic knock. If he is talking abt some other knock which I don't know abt then .... (thus the question) *another spoon feeding exercise completed*
Lol rettard. I knew he only has one. But even with all your 'expertise' and 'knowledge' of cricket I was just surprised you had to ask that and you respond with a paragraph of nonsense (some things never change)
So you need an anchor in the last few overs with Ind 3 wkts down! .... From what I remember, Dhoni took over completely when he realized that Sachin wouldn't be able to get the big ones going because of fatigue. And because Dhoni succeeded, it allowed SRT to :stickyman: to his 200 Except of this part, it was a good inning
Why unsettle the rhythm and take a foolish shot? Every opportunity he got, he scored runs out of it. Dhoni was anyway hogging the strike. If you remember the match, he was hardly getting the strike in the last few overs.

I do not want to rehash all about that 175 again. But to me of all the WC knocks played by Indian batsman two standout. Kapil Dev's 175 in 1983 and Sachin Tendulkar's 98 in 2003. Of course GG's WC Final score of 97 or 98 under pressure was great but those two knocks are special. So let us not undermine Kaps's 175 with some revisionist history without which India would have been out of it in 1983.

My post is not to UNDERMINE Kapil's 175' date=' but to see it in the right perspective. Also, India WOULD NOT have been out of the 1983 World Cup had India lost that game.[/quote']Though with the benefit of handsight and how things played out in the end that may not be the case but at 17 for 5 with top 5 batters gone and in deep trouble a loss there would have been devastating and who knows how that would have played on the team psyche an intangible that is not possible to measure through numbers or stats. Team rallied around after that herculian effort in my opinion and history was made. Single most important One Day knock in the annals of Indian cricket since we won the cup then and look how long it took us to win another WC.
Lol rettard. I knew he only has one. But even with all your 'expertise' and 'knowledge' of cricket I was just surprised you had to ask that and you respond with a paragraph of nonsense (some things never change)
I don't follow Odis much except for key tourneys so am not always up to date with records .... But I guess asking a cricket related question on a cricket forum is retarted, what's smart is to call ppl names who ask questions ..... Great! You don't disappoint wrt the profile I hv in my mind for fanatics :giggle:
Though with the benefit of handsight and how things played out in the end that may not be the case but at 17 for 5 with top 5 batters gone and in deep trouble a loss there would have been devastating and who knows how that would have played on the team psyche an intangible that is not possible to measure through numbers or stats. Team rallied around after that herculian effort in my opinion and history was made. Single most important One Day knock in the annals of Indian cricket since we won the cup then and look how long it took us to win another WC.
If you look at my previous posts on this, I have more than acknowleged the fact that this victory gave the team the belief they lacked. And its morale-boosting value is unparalleled. But my points are purely in cricketing terms, and the facts are there for everyone to see. Had they lost to Zim, it would have gutted them, but they were always capable of turning around - since the very same team had beaten the mightly WI in the first game of their league as well.