Perth Test Pre and during match discussion thread

Perth Test Pre and during match discussion thread  

1. 1.

• Yes - these guys will give Martin and Tufnell a run for their money
    • No - there might be a team out there with a poorer tail

It is not on just one innings. He offers a lot to test cricket. Ok his fields haven't been great as captain but even without being captain I still want him at that no7 spot. It is more a mental thing with Dhoni how to approach his test innings, at no7 you want someone who can stick around or score quick with the tail. Dhoni can do this. He is a safe keeper too. Likes of Saha, Parthiv, DK all no where near him. He is a figher and the kind of guy you want lower down IMO.
usually Dhoni only "sticks around" when the score is 450/5 and he goes on to make a big score but when the team actually needs a contribution he rarely delivers.

While I see some merit in the suggestion Test cricket is not an entitlement unless someone earns it to replace someone else. If Rohit has to play it has to be in the place of Kohli based on what transpired thus far. Giving a chance for young players just for the heck of it in the name of buliding for the future is just not on. However looking the big picture I think VVS and RD should seriously consider calling it a day from Test cricket even if they do well here in the next 2 Tests assuming they are not injured and they play.

usually Dhoni only "sticks around" when the score is 450/5 and he goes on to make a big score but when the team actually needs a contribution he rarely delivers.
It is a mental thing I believe. I think he has capability to soak up balls. He just needs to rotate strike like how he does in ODI and he can survive. In the england test series in edgbaston I got to watch him live lead a counterattacking innings whilst the rest folded. He did this in both innings as he faced the charged up england seamers in favourable bowling conditions.
While I see some merit in the suggestion Test cricket is not an entitlement unless someone earns it to replace someone else. If Rohit has to play it has to be in the place of Kohli based on what transpired thus far. Giving a chance for young players just for the heck of it in the name of buliding for the future is just not on. However looking the big picture I think VVS and RD should seriously consider calling it a day from Test cricket even if they do well here in the next 2 Tests assuming they are not injured and they play.
that is exactly my point. People here are asking for the seniors to retire just because they are "old". Players should retire if they have become unfit to play or they have been in a bad form for a long time or there is some serious technical flaw or if there is some youngster absolutely ready to come into the side - I don't see any of these factors in the Indian context so I see no need for any of the seniors to retire.
It is a mental thing I believe. I think he has capability to soak up balls. He just needs to rotate strike like how he does in ODI and he can survive. In the england test series in edgbaston I got to watch him live lead a counterattacking innings whilst the rest folded. He did this in both innings as he faced the charged up england seamers in favourable bowling conditions.
Can he do it - Yes. Has he done it till now - Very rarely.
huh?I just said dhoni wont drop these guys ever' date='he will stick to the same team to prove himself.He did the same thing with jadeja too.[/quote'] thats the point...do youthink anybody has the power to drop Sachin or Dravid or laxman...no...you dont give powers like that to your captain... and on other side you call the captain adamant or having some kind of ego to persist with new players like kohli n jadeja... kohli is doing fine...dropping should start from Sachin n Dravid...BCCI and other big bosses needs to take the tough stand...and make the scapegoat out of younger players or blaming everything on captain and say captains are adamant to stick with players to prove themselves right or something...
I dont see any point in continuing with the series now that we have no chance of winning the series.Atleast give the youngsters next couple of tests unlike in England.Yes we may get whitewashed 4-0 but its not like its guaranteed to avoid whitewash even if seniors play. Yes Kohli is struggling but i dont see any point in dropping him considering he either comes in at 50 for 4 or have to bat with tail. Giving the youngster a chance in this series might help them play better in Aus conditions when they tour next time.Time to look towards future than clinging onto the past.Like how struggling in 1999 series helped the likes of Dravid Laxman and Ganguly better in 2004. Frankly regardless of all that i would rather see our youngsters fitting it out and losing the next 2 tests than our seniors time and again batting embarrassingly and us losing.Atleast our fielding and running btw wickets will be far better.
Very good point. Time 2 look forward now. This series is gone and its time to take the harsh or tough decision and it has to come now. No choice left. Virat is adjusting slowly and steadily and infact I think it will tough on Rohit who happens to play his first test in Perth, so there is no guarantee of him succeeding. But, we have to give both of them a long run.