Tennis - 2012 Thread

b555

Doha: Top-seeded Rafael Nadal was hustled out of the Qatar Open in the semi-finals on Friday, joining second-seeded Roger Federer at the Doha exit door after the Swiss star pulled out with a back injury. French Open champion Nadal lost 6-3, 6-4 to Gael Monfils, the world number 16 from France. The result guaranteed a French winner of the Qatar Open for the first time since Nicolas Escude eight years ago, for Jo-Wilfried Tsonga also reached the final when Federer’s hopes were scuppered by a bad back. Federer's decision to pull out before a ball was hit was only the second time in his career that he had been forced into such a decision. For Monfils, it was only the second time in 10 attempts that he had got the better of Nadal. Curiously the other occasion was on this same court three years ago before Nadal went on to win the Australian Open. This time the quality of Monfils’ play was even higher and he suggested that, at the age of 25, he may still have the time and the mentality to make a challenge to the leaders. "I like this stadium and atmosphere - I play great tennis here," he said of an arena with an intimate, highly charged ambience at night. "I think I served well and I was very fast around the court," added Monfils, who had served 19 first serves into court in a row at one stage in the second set. His second comment was an understatement, for his withering speed may well have raised doubts in Nadal’s mind about the best shot selection. Nadal followed quite well his new emphasis of heavier attacks from nearer to or inside the baseline, but was frequently prevented from getting full value from them. Inevitably the loss will continue the questions about the efficacy of the world number two’s preparation for the 2012 season. Problems with his shoulder, a new and heavier racquet, and only five days off-season training have not created maximum confidence. Nadal did dominate more of the rallies in the first set, only to be bamboozled by sudden injections of counter-hitting pace by Monfils. It then seemed that Nadal was turning the match around when he went 4-1 up, mixing in slower, loopier drives with his attacks. He might even have made it 5-0 had Monfils not saved a break point with a fine first serve down the middle. Three games later Monfils played three brilliant ambushing attacks to break back for 3-4, and after saving a break point against him in the next game, made the killer thrust to reach 5-4. He broke Nadal’s service game to love, stayed calm as the French Open champion tenaciously saved two match points, and closed out the match at the third attempt with a good first serve and a driving follow-up. Having played two matches in pain, Grand Slam record-holder Federer preferred to give himself the best chance of appearing in decent shape for the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, the Australian Open, starting at Melbourne in 10 days' time. "Although it's not very good it's not crazy bad," Federer said. "I have had bad backs on the past, but this is not very good, otherwise I would definitely be playing. "It’s only the second time I have pulled out from a tournament, and I have never pulled out during a match. It’s a sad moment for me, the tournament, and the fans, but health comes first." Federer was "optimistic" he would be fit for the Australian Open, where he will be trying to win the title back from Novak Djokovic. "I feel that without play and with the right treatment, I will get through it in the next few days," he said.
http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/item/183563-injured-roger-federer-beaten-rafael-nadal-out-of-qatar-open

Also, two Indian teams split at the end of the season. Paes-Bhupathi and the other was India-pak team of Bopanna-Qureshi. Bopanna-Bhupathi will be playing most of the tournaments but Indian Tennis Association haven't yet released which team will participate in Olympics. The reason why Bopanna split with Qureshi was because he wanted to play with Bhupathi keeping Olympics in mind. Yet if the pair is not very successful, we might see Paes/Bhupathi back for olympics. Paes has signed up with Radek Stepanek for next couple of months. They both will pair up for the Australian open too.

Monfils has always had great athleticism but never quite had the consistency yet. Im hoping JMDP has a great year he was very good in the David Cup final I read. Also hoping Roddick has a few good runs at Slams, love him though I do not think he has the game to cut it with the top guys anymore. Lendl coaching Murray will be fascinating

M. Also hoping Roddick has a few good runs at Slams, love him though I do not think he has the game to cut it with the top guys anymore.
I watched him live in the recent us open. His game was moved from a big court to a small court because of rain. There were thousands waiting in line to get into the limited seats which were available in the small court. He beat david ferrer left right and centre. He still has that game, but just not consistent enough. He can easily march into the round 3, round 4 of big events but the men's competition has some predictable fighters now that you can easily say he will have touch matches from the 3rd round itself. I hope too he does well.

I watched him live in the recent us open. His game was moved from a big court to a small court because of rain. There were thousands waiting in line to get into the limited seats which were available in the small court. He beat david ferrer left right and centre. He still has that game, but just not consistent enough. He can easily march into the round 3, round 4 of big events but the men's competition has some predictable fighters now that you can easily say he will have touch matches from the 3rd round itself. I hope too he does well.
Yeah remember that, tbh I was not expecting him to get past Ferrer. Think he felt the after effects and was duly thumped by Rafa in the QFs. I think age has caught up a bit and the power is not quite there on the groundstrokes. he has never been particularly talented with his shot making anyway, returning and volleying still not good enough. I get annoyed when people criticize him though, he has totally maxed out his ability through sheer hard work and is nearing the end of a fine career. Ridiculously more talented players have achieved far less because they are simply not dedicated, or as dedicated. Nalbandian for one, Gasquet another

Yeah remember that' date=' tbh I was not expecting him to get past Ferrer. Think he felt the after effects and was duly thumped by Rafa in the QFs. I think age has caught up a bit and the power is not quite there on the groundstrokes. he has never been particularly talented with his shot making anyway, returning and volleying still not good enough. I get annoyed when people criticize him though, he has totally maxed out his ability through sheer hard work and is nearing the end of a fine career. Ridiculously more talented players have achieved far less because they are simply not dedicated, or as dedicated. Nalbandian for one, Gasquet another[/quote'] Add to that Giles Simon. I love to follow his tennis career. I saw him games. The guy is a figther. I hope he makes it to a slam final one day and win it.

At Apia International ATP ,Sydeny Leander Paes has joined Radek Stepanek. Their first match ever together and they have defeated the team of Foginini/Tursunov by 7-6(3), 6-3 They are unseeded in this tournament and hence will face off Bryan Brothers rite away in 2nd round. Pretty unusual for someone like Paes but well a new partner and thats what you get. A no seed.

Not sure how good a doubles player Stepanek is, I know he was not bad at singles for a while was top 10. Also went out with some HOT womens players! Was engaged to Hingis for a start... HTF That happened I have no idea. Id say he mst have one hell of a personaility but I do not think he is particularly popular on the mens tour

I think Leander can make Radek into a nice doubles player. He isn't bad. I saw him doing decent here in leg mason in Washington. He partnered Carlos Moya that time. That time he was playing actually pretty good singles too. He went on to win that tournament defeating Monfils. I think they can be a pretty good player.

I think Leander can make Radek into a nice doubles player. He isn't bad. I saw him doing decent here in leg mason in Washington. He partnered Carlos Moya that time. That time he was playing actually pretty good singles too. He went on to win that tournament defeating Monfils. I think they can be a pretty good player.
Carlos never took the doubles matches very seriously. He partnered Rafa as well for some time.Either ways, Carlos could have done so much more for his career but he didn't :((