Underground subcultures in India

gorah_pindu

Oh yeah, I was myself into Goa/Trance stuff wayaaa back I see what you mean by that Punk Music now, there were few pubs like "Wig Wam" who used to play that stuff in Mumbai I am sure the scene is changed in Bangalore now, but when I visited in 1993, pubs like Nasa had families dining

Ah yeh, I heard about that :-) Pity Indian record companies ignore these bands in favour of BW and stuff. GIR seems to be the biggest exposure/event - id love to go one day.
Its a good show to attend. Though you get passive exposure or (active if you like) of all kinds of drugs... people openly smoke all kind of things

You havent been part of the metal scene, thus have no expertise in this area, especially considering Dream Theatre were the best example of musical talent you could cite.
Oh but dream-theatre are one of the very few metal bands to know music. And don't assume that i havnt been 'part' of the metal scene. I sampled it and it mostly sucks with rather dumb-headed concept of music.
Frankly, your comment is one of the most conceited statements I have ever heard, but in the interest of not furthering the mud slinging you started with your blanket statement, I wont take the piss.
Its nothing about conceit- it is about knowing what music is and understanding it. Just like there isnt anything concrete to tell you that McGrath is a better bowler than Pollock, except your understanding of cricket, it doesnt take anything but your understanding to music to conclude that rap = crap and jazz = real music. This is nothing about cultural definitions of music either- people who are trained in music can realize that sh!t that passes for music/poetry (whatever the f*ck you wanna pass em off as), ie, rap, metal etc. is sh!ttier music than jazz or blues. Or that tamma tamma logey is not as good an example of 'music' as raghupati raghava raja-ram. it is not even about style, since every field has atleast one good/decent performer/band. But some fields are just inherently constructed on shakier music versatility,depth & BASICS than others. If you don't understand music, maybe you shouldnt be debating what is music and what isn't. What you think as opinion, is actually pretty close to facts- or as factual one can conceive of a stimulus.
you however clearly still think your own relative choices and tastes represent universal truth, like some Islamist.
As i said, its not about taste- some people still prefer Afridi than Tendulkar to watch...but to think that all music ultimately boils down to taste is nothing more than ignorance about music.
Wanna enlighten me as to what is so nihilistic about BDSM?
If treating your sexual partner as nothing more than piece of flesh in the most debased manner isnt nihilism, i think you have no idea what you are talking about. Your idea of variety seems to think that all variety is good variety and diversity means anarchy.
You dont seem to know the most basic tenet of this movement - consent, and your steriotypically uninformed statement reads like something from 50s American newspapers.
I know there is consent. But ultimately, it is seeking sexual release from the make-believe reality of you owning her like a dog. Simply getting concent doesnt mean your fantasies arnt any sick/demented and utter cr@p.

I dedicate this song to CC :hysterical: It will bother him on so many levels. God Of Emptiness Lyrics Artist(Band):Morbid Angel Lies - And you fill their souls With all oppressions of this world And all the glory you receive? So, What makes you supreme? Lies - Your crown is falling I offer fantasy And you, you creator are Blind with envy Let the children come to me Their mother loves me, so shall they Woman, bleeding, ate my gifts Man was close behind Just like a snake I'm slithering Thru my world divine And like the cat I'm stalking I'll take your soul and You'll Be like me In emptiness, free Just bow to me faithfully Bow to me splendidly NTqA009qwko

Hardcore/Death metal is huge in Delhi and the North East(places like Manipur). Bands like K0rn, Megadeth etc have a big following. As far as Science Fiction goes, Isaac Asimov is incredibly popular. I never liked his books.

Aghoris form an ancient subculture in India as well though not on the lines of what is being discussed in the thread. They reside around cremation grounds and cannibalism is part of their lifestyle, though incidents of them having killed are extremely rare. They use abandoned bodies or steal from the bodies being cremated. The ghats on the outskirts of Varanasi is one place you can find them.

I guess it still counts as a underground culture, even tantric stuff is fairly non-mainstream.

Hardcore/Death metal is huge in Delhi and the North East(places like Manipur). Bands like K0rn, Megadeth etc have a big following. As far as Science Fiction goes, Isaac Asimov is incredibly popular. I never liked his books.
Yeh, tons of people seem to love his stuff lol. I find his writing a bit dated too.

Aghoris form an ancient subculture in India as well though not on the lines of what is being discussed in the thread. They reside around cremation grounds and cannibalism is part of their lifestyle, though incidents of them having killed are extremely rare. They use abandoned bodies or steal from the bodies being cremated. The ghats on the outskirts of Varanasi is one place you can find them.
I think gorah was referring to urban subcultures (looking at his examples) Naturally as India's urban sector develops further, u'll find more such underground urban subcultures develop.