Davangere Express watch thread

J P K

Vinay is bowling very well at the moment. Credit to the lad. Silly question here but what does he actually do with the ball. From what i have seen he is able to swing it and move it off the seam very slightly in both directions. Where has this latest injection of pace come from?
May be he started binging on beef in australia....that is the only 'Llogical' thing I can think of for his sudden turnaround

Vinay Kumar makes a difference in ODIs India medium pacer R Vinay Kumar is not on anyone's mind and he would just like it the way it is as long as his skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni keeps turning to him and batsmen keep nibbling at his swinging deliveries. The Karnataka medium-pacer has beggared belief with nine wickets at a staggering average 20.11 - a wicket every 25th ball - in the ongoing Commonwealth Bank one-day series. With the likes of Lasith Malinga and Ryan Harris in the fray, his is the case of the meek who has inherited the earth. Oh, he must have bagged tail-enders. Or, his economy rate must be atrocious. Surely, the scalps are to catches in the deep when the batsmen are going for maximum. All wrong, for he has mostly got Pontings and Jayawardenas and Warners; his economy rate is 4.89 and the catches are unerringly the pouches in the slip cordon. This is his best moment yet but selectors have very little to do with it. He was not an original selection to Australia till last-minute injury to Varun Aaron put him on plane to Down Under. He was also way down the pecking order when WACA Test beckoned last month. Yet, Dhoni decided to go with four quicks and Vinay earned his Test cap. The euphoria lasted only four hours. Brought in to bowl the sixth over of the innings, the 28-year-old saw a Warner hit sail over his head into the stands in his very first over. The pocket-dynamo opener was to smash one more six and take 43 runs off his 36 balls on way to a blistering 180 runs. His dream had turned into a nightmare all too swiftly. Fortunately, Dhoni believed in him. The Indian captain surely can't have enough of Vinay in shorter formats of the game. He was put through his pace in two Twenty20 encounters and then preferred, at times, to proven quality of Praveen Kumar in the one-day triangular series. Each of such acts of faith by Dhoni were responded with wickets by Vinay. "Dhoni is a great believer and he kept on backing. Once I spoke to him, he said 'I won't believe on pace because if you have skill, it is more than enough. If you bowl in the right areas, you will definitely be difficult for the batsmen to hit'," Vinay said. Without Dhoni's backing, it's a moot point if Vinay would still be in the mix for coach Duncan Fletcher is an avowed fan of express pace and doesn't see any logic in investing in medium-pacers. Vinay's strength has been his outswingers but his repertoire has constantly grown over the last few seasons. There are now leg-cutters and excellent slower deliveries, not to speak of a few which he can now also bring in to right-handers without any discernible change in action. Always experimenting, he once copied Lasith Malinga's slinging action to claim Adam Gilchrist in IPL. Interestingly, he has never tried this trick on a one-day field. "IPL is such a format where bowling one dot ball is very crucial. I just tried that new action to bowl a dot ball. I never had it in my mind to get a wicket with that ball. I am lucky that I got Gilchrist with it," he said. "In T20, you should do some different things. That format is good for that, but in one-dayers you should keep it simple," added Vinay. It has helped Vinay that one-dayers these days are played with two new balls at two ends. It allows newer balls to swing for longer overs and provides extra help to exponents of swing bowling. "For me, it's actually helping because I am a swing bowler. Normally, the white ball won't swing for more than six to seven overs. Very rarely will it swing until the 10th over. Using two new balls at both the ends, it will swing for 10-12 overs," Vinay said. The 28-year-old has been lucky that he had mentors in Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid when he first broke into the first class circuit in 2004-05. He was further aided by the presence of India spearhead Zaheer Khan in Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL. "When I played my first IPL for Bangalore, Zaheer was there and helped me a lot while bowling in the middle," he said. Later Vinay was also benefitted by the presence of Praveen Kumar in his IPL team. From a journeyman, Vinay is now a star and not just in the IPL circuit where he would play its fifth edition as a million-dollar cricketer. http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/item/185535-vinay-kumar-makes-a-difference-in-odis

:hysterical: But the good news is he's consistently in mid or higher 130s and not trundling in 120s as he did in that Perth Test
There is a huge difference between tests and odis.His speed is good enough and in these conditions he will be pretty good.
There is a huge difference between tests and odis.His speed is good enough and in these conditions he will be pretty good.
The main difference in the odis is that he upped his pace and looks like a fast bowler which is what I meant. If he had bowled the same way he bowled in Tests in 120s he would have been carted in odis as well but kudos to him for improving his bowling after the Perth Test.
The main difference in the odis is that he upped his pace and looks like a fast bowler which is what I meant. If he had bowled the same way he bowled in Tests in 120s he would have been carted in odis as well but kudos to him for improving his bowling after the Perth Test.
what i mean't was in tests you cannot go allout and have to conserve energy ,but in odi you can,Every bowler in the quicker in odis than tests,You make him play another test he will be back to 125-135 km/h.
what i mean't was in tests you can go allout and have conserve energy ' date='but in odi you can,Every bowler in the quicker in odis than tests,You make him play another test he will be back to 125-135 km/h.[/quote'] thats why i think we should play 5 bowlers cos then u can go all out w/o worrying and conserving ..
what i mean't was in tests you cannot go allout and have to conserve energy ' date='but in odi you can,Every bowler in the quicker in odis than tests,You make him play another test he will be back to 125-135 km/h.[/quote'] Not on a pich like Perth, which is probably the best pitch for the pacers in the world, and not with a new ball on the 1st day in your 1st spell and especially not when your team is bowled out to a low score and there are only 20 odd overs you can bowl in a day. Surely you can bowl 6-8 overs in a day at decent pace?
dont think so.. in tests its rare for no 7 to save team in difficult conditions bowlers win u matches unless u have 4 world class bowlers u need atleast 5 bowling option to survive
To play five bowlers you need to have confidence in your batting line up and most of them to be in form along with a bowling allrounder ,I am afraid we fall short on all the conditions currently.
To play five bowlers you need to have confidence in your batting line up and most of them to be in form along with a bowling allrounder ' date='I am afraid we fall short on all the conditions currently.[/quote'] lol we only struggled in batting now.. (in last 8 tests) before that it was consistent enough even then we played 4 bowlers its mentality thing and about bowling 125 in tests.. thats wrong itsn ot ur club game u gotta give ur all in 1 spell but yes u can shorten ur spell.. no need to bowl 7 over spell at 70 percent when u want to go for wickets give ur 100 % if u cant do that ur not fit enough to be test bowler!
lol we only struggled in batting now.. (in last 8 tests) before that it was consistent enough even then we played 4 bowlers its mentality thing and about bowling 125 in tests.. thats wrong itsn ot ur club game u gotta give ur all in 1 spell but yes u can shorten ur spell.. no need to bowl 7 over spell at 70 percent when u want to go for wickets give ur 100 % if u cant do that ur not fit enough to be test bowler!
No last few years we have had numerous collapses ,we had out tail to thank for getting us out of tough situations even in westindies and then at home against nz and aus.
No last few years we have had numerous collapses ' date='we had out tail to thank for getting us out of tough situations even in westindies and then at home against nz and aus.[/quote'] true but hwy favour batting ? in last wait ever since we started playing cricket we have been struggling to get 20 wickets :dontknow: its time we create a solid batting line up and play 5 bowlers we cant play half fir zaheer and three young bowlers we will get white washed again whole team needs to change..how many times has out no 7 saved us ? i dont remember :hmmm:
he crossed 140 many times
Now, this is called overhype bro :--D Frankly, yes he is bowling well at the moment. But, he only go beyond 140 in that only 2nd T20 match and his highest was 142. And everyone here got crazy about it. Like if we have another Brett Lee. He is bowling in the range of 132-138 k even at his peak. Yes, he is in good rhythm atm and when time is good, lucks also favors you and you get some lucky wickets as well. Still, imo, one out of Praveen and VK should play. VK is doing good now, so there should not be any place for PK as we have better bowlers in Zaheer and Umesh and yes, Irfan Pathan deserves more chances