How painful was this

Rajiv

I remember listening to it on 9740KhZ - it was a stunning last day. I have pasted a bit from cricinfo with some bits in bold. At 76 for no wicket on the fifth morning, India wanted roughly a run a minute. Their rate was never brisk - 48 in the first hour, 45 in the second, and 44 in the third. England were desparing of wickets when, after five and a quarter hours, Chauhan edged Willis. The despair soon returned as Vengsarkar joined Gavaskar in an accelerating stand which produced 153 at better than a run a minute. Gavaskar masterminded the show, doing all the thinking and playing most of the shots. Tea came at 304 for one and, after a mere six overs between the interval and five o'clock - England ruthlessly slowed down the game - the last twenty overs began at 328 for one with 100 wanted, and India favourites. Gavaskar's memorable innings lasted eight hours, nine minutes and he hit 21 4's, most of them coming from firm clips past mid-wicket and his unexpectedlay powerful cover-drive. However, his cool control of the developing crisis was missed by India as much as his runs. Viswanath unneringly found one of the widely spaced fielders, as had Vengsarkar and Gavaskar. Then Botham firmly ended India's hopes by having Yajurvindra Singh and Yashpal Sharma lbw in successive overs and, in between, making a slick stop to run out Venkataraghavan. Botham's final four overs brought him an absolutely crucial three for 17. A target of 15 from the last over was too much, and the climax came with fielders encircling the bat.

The captain' date=' Venkat, made an error by promoting Kapil over Vishy in order to finish the game off quickly. The move backfired as Kapil and everyone after him failed. But what a knock from SunnyG![/quote'] i dont know, if i would call it an error.... in those days, Kapil was our only finisher... until Ravi joined him a few years later... we had the guys who could really step up the gas, only after 90s... with the advent of jadeja, Robin et al...
i dont know' date=' if i would call it an error.... in those days, Kapil was our only finisher... until Ravi joined him a few years later... we had the guys who could really step up the gas, only after 90s... with the advent of jadeja, Robin et al...[/quote'] LOL, I did sound as if I watched the match live. What I said is what I read in 'A history of Indian Cricket' by Mihir Bose. In the book, during the post mortem, most people felt that Vishy should have come in.