A disgraceful moment in Indian cricketing history

What about the other examples Tendulkar sets? Running after the ball in the field at 39, incredible desire for the game and devotion towards it, humility, hours of untiring practice, ability to understand one's batting weakness and evolve and gelling equally well with contemporaries and juniors. If these aren't followed by the younger lot, why should the selfish milestone hogging habit be? Young players aren't mindless robots who will do whatever their seniors will. No one emulated Gavaskar's 36*. No Indian bowler puffed to their wicket milestone after observing Kapil do so. Tendulkar did not sell the country after watching Azhar do so. And funny that Michael Clarke has become a paragon of virtue now. This is a guy who got into a fight with his own team mate in the dressing room(Simon Katich). He's a guy who had a fight with Symonds. He's the one who took that blatant grounded catch off Ganguly at Sydney 2008 and told the umpire to take his word. Great example to follow for sure.
Thank you Gambit :hatsoff: BTW Since we're going this route. Afridi > Tendulkar. Has Tendulkar ever bit the ball for the team cause? Afridi took those extra steps so his team could win, when has that selfish midget ever done that?
See this is the problem some of us Sachin supporters have. You want things painted in black and white. You call Sachin selfish for 1 or 2 innings he played. Yet you forget the countless times he got out in the 90s playing attacking shots. The time he came back two days after his father's death to play. the times he played with a broken bat, with a broken nose against Waqar. When you use the blanket term selfish, you are equally guilty as us blind supporters, though in the other direction Guess like Outsider, we should be disecting the innings, not the man
MTC, first of all, i consider myself a neutral - am neither a blind supporter nor a hater. I jump in and defend SRT when i see him meaninglessly bashed or discredited (eg: Bradman vs SRT threads) and i also promptly criticize him when his game warrants such a thing. I dont make comments like that based on one or two innings. I have watched cricket long enough to know players are humans and by nature are selfish. But I have always felt that SRT is a *lot* more record conscious than many of his peers. I know "selfish" is a contraversial way to describe a legend, but its an opinion i have formed based on how he has played over the years. One has to be intellectually dishonest (ignoring the delusional lot) to have not seen this.I had always preferred to call it as i see it, i dont care what the posters here think of me. Note that unlike some of the other posters here, I dont mean to sound bitter when i make this remark about him. I have accepted Tendulkar with this flaw. After all, someone who is that good, deserves a bit of concession (in the real world everything works this way, what's the big deal if it happens on the cricket field!). Infact, i myself said in an earlier post on this thread that given our culture, we should be realistic about these things and not harp on it. Counter arguments such as "What about all the games he has won for us", "What about the time he gave his life for the country", "serviced us for 22 years" etc is all blah blah and are missing the point. Like someone said, SRT excelled in the career he undertook and reaped ample rewards (to go with the criticisms). You could do all of the above and still be an avid records seeker (which forces you to be selfish) and that's what SRT was! The below article says everything that needs to be said: http://expressbuzz.com/cricket/in-sport-selfishness-is-intrinsic-to-greatness/374348.html The key part is the last sentence: "The difference is between creative selfishness, which adds to the team effort and destructive selfishness that takes away from it" Selfishness does not always hurt the team. You can be selfish and still be creative!
MTC, first of all, i consider myself a neutral - am neither a blind supporter nor a hater. I jump in and defend SRT when i see him meaninglessly bashed or discredited (eg: Bradman vs SRT threads) and i also promptly criticize him when his game warrants such a thing. I dont make comments like that based on one or two innings. I have watched cricket long enough to know players are humans and by nature are selfish. But I have always felt that SRT is a *lot* more record conscious than many of his peers. I know "selfish" is a contraversial way to describe a legend, but its an opinion i have formed based on how he has played over the years. One has to be intellectually dishonest (ignoring the delusional lot) to have not seen this.I had always preferred to call it as i see it, i dont care what the posters here think of me. Note that unlike some of the other posters here, I dont mean to sound bitter when i make this remark about him. I have accepted Tendulkar with this flaw. After all, someone who is that good, deserves a bit of concession (in the real world everything works this way, what's the big deal if it happens on the cricket field!). Infact, i myself said in an earlier post on this thread that given our culture, we should be realistic about these things and not harp on it. Counter arguments such as "What about all the games he has won for us", "What about the time he gave his life for the country", "serviced us for 22 years" etc is all blah blah and are missing the point. Like someone said, SRT excelled in the career he undertook and reaped ample rewards (to go with the criticisms). You could do all of the above and still be an avid records seeker (which forces you to be selfish) and that's what SRT was! The below article says everything that needs to be said: http://expressbuzz.com/cricket/in-sport-selfishness-is-intrinsic-to-greatness/374348.html The key part is the last sentence: "The difference is between creative selfishness, which adds to the team effort and destructive selfishness that takes away from it" Selfishness does not always hurt the team. You can be selfish and still be creative!
Top post! :hatsoff:
In team sport too, selfishness is intrinsic to greatness. A Bradman who knew he would struggle on wet tracks, for instance, played as little on such tracks as possible. His logic was irrefutable - his value to the team as its main batsman would be diminished, and there were better batsmen in such conditions; on one occasion, he even reversed his batting order and sent out the bowlers to open the innings on a dodgy track.
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: BB where art thou?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/211364.html Look at Micheal Clarke and Martyn's strike rates in the game....Isn't that playing according to the situation??
Which mahashatak were they playing for by putting their individual goals ahead of the team - were they knocking the ball around for singles to get to their mahashataks in the slog overs (there were no PP overs then)?
Besides the point....I am no way in denial that the 100 did not play on his mind,but it does seem far-fetched saying that he single-handedly lost the game and was the main culprit for the loss.He still had a decent strike rate at the end of his innings and why not give credit to the Bangla bowlers too....It's not like Virat Kohli played a free-flowing innings at the other end.
Don't you understand the difference being not able to do something despite trying your best and selfishly pursuing the mahashatak for 13 overs, scoring around 20 runs off around 40 deliveries? This passage of play was when India had 8-9 wickets in hand, Bangladesh bowlers were operating on a patta, PP and slog overs were on for a majority of these overs. Do you think that's a common sense approach to batting? Do you think Tendulkar would have played the way he did in this situation if the mahashatak wasn't his first priority, instead of getting as many runs as he could for the team? Kohli got out trying to get some quick runs in the batting PP - is that the common sense thing to do in the situation or knock around singles? Why did Tendulkar's approach change all of a sudden after the mahashatak if you think he was playing for the team's goals? The amount of fairy tales you must have told yourself to believe that for those 13 overs Tendulkar was playing for the team instead for his mahashatak would fill up an encyclopedia. Throwing in red herrings like the poor bowling - what has the bowling got to do with a selfish pursuit of a personal milestone? Yeah, the bowling contributed to the loss, but this thread and discussion is not about what contributed more to the loss - it's about putting individual goals above the team cause. The incident is a disgraceful moment not because it contributed to India losing a match, for India has lost plenty of matches in the past and will lose plenty more in the future for different reasons, it's a disgraceful moment because for 13 overs the Indian team took a backseat to the mahashatak.
Brilliant!! I was neutral, but now I am slightly bitter. Sadly. Never thought this day would come.
Thank you Gambit :hatsoff: BTW Since we're going this route. Afridi > Tendulkar Afridi > Tendulkar Afridi > Tendulkar . Has Tendulkar ever bit the ball for the team cause? Afridi took those extra steps so his team could win, when has that selfish midget ever done that?
Something's wrong with you , man.:cantstop:
The incident is a disgraceful moment not because it contributed to India losing a match, for India has lost plenty of matches in the past and will lose plenty more in the future for different reasons, it's a disgraceful moment because for 13 overs the Indian team took a backseat to the mahashatak.
:this: I'm not sure if you require the knowledge of quantum physics to understand that part even after repeatedly mentioning it in kindergarten language.
yeah yeah what about an entire friggin decade of Indian cricket taking a backseat while his Jaminess was trying to take ODI batting to a level closer to Test match batting ? I guess it put chaand tara on Cricket :laugh:
Well Dravid did keep wkts for the team, opened in Tests for the team and batted at 3 as well as lower down the order (5 & 6) for the team. As far as being a team player and selfless I doubt any Indian player can beat Dravid :hatsoff:
you understand the difference between ODI batting and ODI keeping ? :hysterical:
I do understand the difference between playing for the team and himself, and Dravid cannot be called as playing for himself. Pity the same cannot be said for Tendulkar post the recent Asia Cup and no amount of smileys from you can change the fact.