Lara V Tendulkar

It takes a different sort of champion to keep repeating the performances of the first set of tests. Tendulkar has now done that twice and is half way thru the 3rd set ( each set = 75 tests ) . If you think that this is no big deal then you simply don't understand the sort of endurance you need to succeed for soo long. Why don't you tell me the parameters that determine the cricketing equivalent of running 100 in 10.5 ? I suspect you will pick and chose the few things that Lara has achieved that Tendulkar hasnt. This is cherry picking. I can most certainly do the same.
No doubt Sachin is an endurance champion. But that is only one parameter than can be used to compare Lara and Sachin. If endurance is everything would you agree that a marathon runner is superior to a sprints champion? They are different, each great in its own right I have no personal preference for Lara like you seem to think. Lara has demonstrated his ability to peak enormously, to a degree higher than Sachin, but has not demonstrated the same level of consistancy shown by Sachin. The particular reason why I am saying this is Lara scored 798, 765,688,546, 533,531 runs in six of the series he played, while Sachin could not cross 500 even once in his 20 year long career. That is why he has never really dominated any single series like Lara did though he has a high average over a long time. And none of his innings featured in the Wisden Top 100 innings inspite of several Indians making their entry there. Lara has three knocks there and no one would even dispute the rightful top place of two of the knocks - 153* and 213 against Aussie. Sachin does not have such defining match winning knocks in test matches in his career inspite of being a solid batsman.
No doubt Sachin is an endurance champion. But that is only one parameter than can be used to compare Lara and Sachin. If endurance is everything would you agree that a marathon runner is superior to a sprints champion? They are different, each great in its own right I have no personal preference for Lara like you seem to think. Lara has demonstrated his ability to peak enormously, to a degree higher than Sachin, but has not demonstrated the same level of consistancy shown by Sachin. The particular reason why I am saying this is Lara scored 798, 765,688,546, 533,531 runs in six of the series he played, while Sachin could not cross 500 even once in his 20 year long career. That is why he has never really dominated any single series like Lara did though he has a high average over a long time. And none of his innings featured in the Wisden Top 100 innings inspite of several Indians making their entry there. Lara has three knocks there and no one would even dispute the rightful top place of two of the knocks - 153* and 213 against Aussie. Sachin does not have such defining match winning knocks in test matches in his career inspite of being a solid batsman.
Very well put.This is exactly i wanted to say.
You getting ripped by BossBhai, he saying you don't add anything to this forum :hysterical: I disagree, wouldn't be the same without you, you know the game well and go into troll mode now and then :yay:
lol some comments went missing :cantstop: anyway moving on :P was viv richards better then tendulkar discuss :P :hysterical:
lol some comments went missing :cantstop: anyway moving on :P was viv richards better then tendulkar discuss :P :hysterical:
there is only one winner when we compare viv vs sachin ( esp in ODIs ), atleast Lara vs sachin is an even contest :winky: that deserves a separate thread and i will back it up with stats
there is only one winner when we compare viv vs sachin ( esp in ODIs ), atleast Lara vs sachin is an even contest :winky: that deserves a separate thread and i will back it up with stats
Ok. wo bhi decide ho gaya. Let's discuss who was the better tail-ender, Walsh or Chris Martin?
But Martin has never faced the kind of fast bowlers and spinners that Walsh had to face. Also' date=' the pitches were a lot tough to bat on then.[/quote'] but,but that applies to batsmen as well.. and sachin >gavaskar according to icf gr8's so martin>walsh topic/ :P