Kumble

The obsession with the Indian cricket fans to compare everyone in the rank to the best from other sides is the issue here I guess. Not one batter in the first inning got a hundred but hasn't the team done well enough to almost bag this test match? What's wrong if Anil has contributed by taking the tail enders? Someone had to claim those wickets and and he did. Now I don't see a problem with that. All we do here is compare Tendulkar to Lara, Anil to Warnie, Sehwag to Hayden et al. The team fortune is looking bullish and it doesn’t matter whether Anil Kumble is taking wickets of tail end or not but he has taken more wickets than any English bowlers bowling in the conditions that they are adept to.

Well you jumped at my post when I stated the former. I never said anything about dropping him!
There are other comments too in this thread Gambo. Look at Living's that suggest Harbhajan should be used in place of Anil Kumble.
we are talking recent performance. overall career average is nothing spectacular oveseas i agree' date=' but the numbers are improving. his last 10 test away average is under 28. so what is the fuss?[/quote'] I created this thread because I thought the situation was tailor made for him and he didn't step up. He was disappointing today, especially initially, going for 4+ RPO. Agreeing with gator, I said that he lacks the ability to run through sides like Javelinaran and Warne, his two rivals, have consistently done overseas. He is such a great bowler yet lacks this ability overseas. Thats the "fuss". In opposition to these two statements some irrelevant stats were posted, which I countered with the overall avg.
The obsession with the Indian cricket fans to compare everyone in the rank to the best from other sides is the issue here I guess. Not one batter in the first inning got a hundred but hasn't the team done well enough to almost bag this test match? What's wrong if Anil has contributed by taking the tail enders? Someone had to claim those wickets and and he did. Now I don't see a problem with that. All we do here is compare Tendulkar to Lara' date=' Anil to Warnie, Sehwag to Hayden et al. The team fortune is looking bullish and it doesn’t matter whether Anil Kumble is taking wickets of tail end or not but he has taken more wickets than any English bowlers bowling in the conditions that they are adept to.[/quote'] Kumble didn't bowl well today. His bowling is what I criticised. Is it a crime to criticise Kumble? If it is, I won't commit this heresy again.
There are other comments too in this thread Gambo. Look at Living's that suggest Harbhajan should be used in place of Anil Kumble.
Missed that. I don't agree with that at all! Kumble is probably the first name on the sheet for me!

Kumble is the first name on the team sheet after Dravid as far as i am concerned too- but it doesnt hide the fact that Kumble is at best, mediocre outside of the subcontinent ( 28 average & just over 4 wickets/match is average- yes, AVERAGE). He was abyssimal before, now he is merely mediocre outside of pitches in the subcontinent. Just that simple, really.

I created this thread because I thought the situation was tailor made for him and he didn't step up. He was disappointing today, especially initially, going for 4+ RPO. Agreeing with gator, I said that he lacks the ability to run through sides like Javelinaran and Warne, his two rivals, have consistently done overseas. He is such a great bowler yet lacks this ability overseas. Thats the "fuss". In opposition to these two statements some irrelevant stats were posted, which I countered with the overall avg.
The question is how many times in the recent past has he failed to deliver in situations apparently tailor made for him? You guys are not listening to what I'm saying: We need a different kind of spin bowler. Attacking partnership breaker instead of a economical bowler who can run through the tail. Also Kumble's major weapon is surprise, he depends a lot on the fact that lots of batsmen still haven't seen enough of him. Put him up against a team of batsmen who have had one tour against him and check his performance.
I made a thread stating Kumble was no longer India's best spin option. And today's disappointing show has proved me right again. Ravi keeps posting useless stats. Kumble got the tail enders. I know someone has got to get them, but my point in the thread was that Kumble is NOT PENETRATIVE. People kept talking about Strauss's lords 1st innings wicket, however everyone knows he just gifted his wicket. Cricinfo should run stats on how many wickets that Kumble has are top order wickets - that would be very interesting.
remember such thing @ cricinfo..they posted this interesting article on how many top-orders kumble got..it waas much better than some great bowlers, i think he was equal or better than one of the two spin greats. If you're interested..go check for it.

Kumble had an off day. It happens. So what? thats what bowling is about. Zaheer and RP came to the party. You don't expect him to run through teams each and every time. He is bound to have an off day. Didn't he also take two wickets in the first day at Lord's? And yes i would prefer him to run through the tailenders any day. The tails usually wag against India though england have a couple of number 11s in their team.

Kumble didn't bowl well today. His bowling is what I criticised. Is it a crime to criticise Kumble? If it is' date=' I won't commit this heresy again.[/quote'] I don't think it a crime to criticise anyone. Kumble did bowl very poorly yesterday. But remember that Vaughan tackled him better than anyone and he didn't let him settle down. Even Warne looked pathetic when Sachin and Sidhu tore him apart in 1998, ot when Laxman dealt with him disdainfully in 2001. That doesn't mean that Warne was poor bowler or anything! And more than that, Kumble has had just one poor day in field! And any bowler can have an off-day.

as usual the underappreciated one is getting **** for no apparent reason. It says more about our habitual dependence on Kumble than anything else. He didnt bowl very well and yet he had a 6fer for what less than 150 runs. Wow ... I wish more of our chaps would under deliver in that manner. He is the most match winning Indian player of all time. He is entitled to a slightly underpar game on a pitch where no spinner made a dent.

Kumble indeed was a let down on the 4th day but Vaughan played him really well and did not let him settle at all. Got to give credit to the opposition at times. Even in a very off test match he dismembered the tail in both innings. Another 50 runs in each of the two innings by the tail (not an unknown happenstance against India) and we might have lost the match.

Kumble indeed was a let down on the 4th day but Vaughan played him really well and did not let him settle at all. Got to give credit to the opposition at times. Even in a very off test match he dismembered the tail in both innings. Another 50 runs in each of the two innings by the tail (not an unknown happenstance against India) and we might have lost the match.
Excellent point.
remember such thing @ cricinfo..they posted this interesting article on how many top-orders kumble got..it waas much better than some great bowlers, i think he was equal or better than one of the two spin greats. If you're interested..go check for it.
cool, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Put this debate on hold. Fo a while at least :tounge_smile: