Written and spoken English

Gambit

We call it Fokcha. The polished ones call it Golgappa.
Yeah Golgappa name is famous in Azamgarh and eastern side of UP.
Najdeek maane? Naini?
have you heard about Badshahpur?...it's a remote Tahsil (constituency) falls under allahabad district. I have relatives Naini though.

Badshahpur naam to suna lagta hai. Waise itna Muslim naam(Badshahpur) hone ke bawjood Haneef bhai se itna gussa :D I have been to Allhabad and Naini quite a few times, specially remember them for throwing the coins in River Ganges.

Guest dada_rocks
Nahin bhai...kehaan main kehaan Amreeka! Never been to western country either. I am actually settled in Mumbai, work for Airline Industry, so travelled a lot to Gulf countries. Lekin waise main Uttar-Pradesh kaa hee hoon.
Your profile is so different from the crowd here. Nice to have u here. We all here are doctor/engineer the boring pros.

Naini naam to suna suna lagta hai' date=' I guess there is ITI branch there right.[/quote'] Yes. Plus thats where your role model in life Pandit Nehru went jail to a few times. In fact if I am not mistaken when you cross Naini station there is a little old milestone that will tell you about it(not sure if it has been taken down now). Its not far from Allahabad. Nadi ke is paar Allahabad, Nadi(Ganga) ke us paar Naini.

We call it Fokcha. The polished ones call it Golgappa. Najdeek maane? Naini?
lurker..is it Fokcha..or Fochka.. i think it is Fochka..at least bengali fochka.. and there is one difference in paani puri..and fochka... fochka has imli ka paani..and paani puri has pudina ka paani... ( this was told bu a bengali girl)..though delhi me saala paanch pochka ke liye paanch paani hota hai..at some shops.... and do you remember aalu-kat...that spicy boiled potatoes with imli and red chilly ..mouth watering...

lurker..is it Fokcha..or Fochka.. i think it is Fochka..at least bengali fochka..
It is Fokcha in Bihar, fochka in Bengali. Some people also call it fukcha/fuchka.
and there is one difference in paani puri..and fochka... fochka has imli ka paani..and paani puri has pudina ka paani...
True. And imli paani rocks!!! Still can not believe how many times woh thellewaala would immerse his hand in that paani waala ghada and get us those fokcha. Hygiene ki aisi ki taisi :dance:
and do you remember aalu-kat...that spicy boiled potatoes with imli and red chilly ..mouth watering...
My mouth is watering right now. Delicious with little effort - sasta sundar aur tikaao. Isnt it also known as aloo kachaloo? xxx

i remember buying it for 10-20 paisa..and running to home for some water after eating it...or to nearest water tap..or hand pump...
:haha::haha: And I bet the next time you would eat it you would still insist(atleast in your mind) that he puts imli paani and loads of laal mirchi. Damn those things were almost like an addiction. There was also that baraf-gola where ice would be scrapped into very think pieces, put put in a glass with some coloured flavoured syrup on top! Darn that was good. There was also the bel ka sharbat. Ya phir kacche aam(tikola) ka pakaya hua juice...slrrrp slrrp :thumbs_up:

Can anyone suggest some tools to improve writing/speaking skills in English?? .
The best way is to practice it. Read, write, speak. I remember from my sixth grade that I started to write journals for every day. That dramatically improved my written English skills. I suggest to keep an online blog if you dont like to write with pen or pencil on paper. There are lots of free sites where you can set up your blog. Just google it. It would be interesting. Same for reading. Reading and writing go hand in hand and complement each other

I think in my native language still (Kannada). But I manage to speak and write English without any problem. I learnt to speak fluently in Hindi and English, by watching a lot of movies and TV. I know tamil only from watching movies. Plus having to converse in a language helps learning it a lot. I had friends who could speak Hindi and some in English only (like Mallus and Tamils).

It is an unfortunate truth i cant speak 10 words at a stretch in my mother tongue without atleast a couple of words in english. And this is with my parents , relatives etc. With friends , its english almost all the while , even though we might speak the same "other" language. I have realized that its a little more easier to create humor in english than any other language.

written is quite good as I get time like manipulate and write ( u r not alone Lurker)
:dance: Waise I must also say that the instinctive reactions are almost always in my native language. For example if I run into a long lost friend I would most certainly go, "Abbe saale chtewtiyaa gand000 etc etc"....I never go "Gosh is it really you!".

:dance: Waise I must also say that the instinctive reactions are almost always in my native language. For example if I run into a long lost friend I would most certainly go, "Abbe saale chtewtiyaa gand000 etc etc"....I never go "Gosh is it really you!".
lol thats our natural instinct :D