England vs South Africa 2012

Absolutely' date=' I was miffed at that time. Similarly Lara was very selfish when he scored his 400, similar story, played one full session on Day 3, there was no way they could have won that test on a flat track.[/quote'] If we are so defensive that we continue batting till day 3 in our first innings while going for series win, is it any surprise we are still looking for our maiden win in Aus or that we have a pretty poor Testrecord? We generally have been way too defensive and the Sydney test was the case in point. And not just the Aus series in 2004, even the Eng tour in 2007 we had a chance to win 2-0 but we kept on batting in the 3rd Test content with 1-0 instead of going for 2-0. And thenthe NZ tour in 2008-09 where once again we had a great chance to win the last Test to go up 2-0 but we left the declaration for too long and ended up with just a 1-0 win. Same thing when Pakis toured India in 2007-08 where we declared way too late and instead of winning 2-0 we won 1-0 when we just had 3 more wkts to get to win the last Test :facepalm: Our history is littered with these near misses and based on our defensive mindset I can see the reason for the same.
Or the NZ test' date=' where our kaptaan kool gave NZ 600+ to chase and we had NZ 7 down but rain intervened :yay:[/quote'] I remember that along with other incidents I have mentioned in my post above. We are simply way too defensive. I hope 0-8 would have changed the mindset a bit and our cricketers would want to rub the opponents in as well if they get the chance.
If we are so defensive that we continue batting till day 3 in our first innings while going for series win, is it any surprise we are still looking for our maiden win in Aus or that we have a pretty poor Testrecord? We generally have been way too defensive and the Sydney test was the case in point. And not just the Aus series in 2004, even the Eng tour in 2007 we had a chance to win 2-0 but we kept on batting in the 3rd Test content with 1-0 instead of going for 2-0. And thenthe NZ tour in 2008-09 where once again we had a great chance to win the last Test to go up 2-0 but we left the declaration for too long and ended up with just a 1-0 win. Same thing when Pakis toured India in 2007-08 where we declared way too late and instead of winning 2-0 we won 1-0 when we just had 3 more wkts to get to win the last Test :facepalm: Our history is littered with these near misses and based on our defensive mindset I can see the reason for the same.
You don't even have to go that far to find this defensive attitude. The last test in the Windies tour was a glaring example of that and frankly it was the beginning of the end, I somehow knew it was coming, could sense that after that test.
You don't even have to go that far to find this defensive attitude. The last test in the Windies tour was a glaring example of that and frankly it was the beginning of the end' date=' I somehow knew it was coming, could sense that after that test.[/quote'] I didn't really add that to the list was coz we were chasing a target instead of declaring. But yeah, that chase summed up our attitude. We are not good at finishing off an opponent when we have him down for the count. We are satisfied with a 1-0 scoreline when we can easily go for a 2-0 or 3-0 result and that's where Aussies were so good. They went in for the kill everytime.
LOL A brave dec (or foolish if you lose) is one where there is a real chance of losing. This wasn't one of them. Think back to Smith in Sydney in 2006 or Sobers in Trinidad in 1968 as just 2 examples.
Amen to that. Would you count Strauss Chennai, 2009 in that list too?
Because they can't compete here for nuts. 6-1, 5-0, 2-0, etc. have surely left a lot of mental scars on them. But then. THIS TIME they are sending down a team packed with legends so we'll see how it goes. :laugh:
Delhi belly and prawns are still valid excuses, right? During the WC last year, it was Chennai chapatis apparently. :giggle:
Delhi belly and prawns are still valid excuses, right? During the WC last year, it was Chennai chapatis apparently. :giggle:
Nope it was "team burn-out after the Ashes" :giggle: Hilarious part is that poms give all tese excuses and fall back on Ashes "burn out" excuse while Aussies won the World Cup 3 times in a row :haha:
Nope it was "team burn-out after the Ashes" :giggle: Hilarious part is that poms give all tese excuses and fall back on Ashes "burn out" excuse while Aussies won the World Cup 3 times in a row :haha:
That and Chennai chapatis..
What England would have preferred for the match that will determine their World Cup destiny was unimpeded preparation. Given the contrary nature of their progress so far they could have expected otherwise and what they have are doubts about their captain, Andrew Strauss, and their leading spinner, Graeme Swann. Had the key Group B match against the West Indies been yesterday neither could have played. They have succumbed to the local variation of Delhi belly, known as the Chennai chapatis. England are not panicking yet now is not the time but if both miss training today their presence in the Group B match will be increasingly unlikely. England will be desperate to have both but the sort of stomach virus which has affected several members of the touring party in the past three weeks usually leaves the patient lighter and enfeebled for a few days.

and this gem right at the end from Berry :cantstop::

Should the International Cricket Council, to preserve the integrity of Test cricket, legislate that every touring team should play three first-class matches before a Test series? Such a build-up would advertise their arrival in the country, whet appetites, increase ticket sales, and ensure that both sides are ready at the start. But India wouldn’t like that. Their idea of acclimatising to English conditions last year was one three-dayer against Somerset. And what India doesn’t want...

and another:

Not surprising considering that he had 34 overs in which to warm up on this tour, and before that hadn’t bowled anything longer than four-over spells since March.
those four-over spells probably gave him more than enough practice and preparation bowling on flat pitches, and that even at better batsmen!
Kudos!!!
show faith in one of the gr8st bowlers of our time.. last time when he toured england he was coming back form injury and first time around he was rubbish not hte same bowler
England need a pitch which seams around but NOT too much of bounce. Steyn destroyed them in Jo'burg when there was bounce. Johnson did it in Perth. They might lose because SA have a good attack but it provides their best chance to win. SA's batting tends to collapse under such conditions as well. On a flat wicket, England's bowlers aren't very good. I hope that Onions is picked for Leeds. Perfect conditions for someone like him. Won't happen though. SA have dropped tests when they have had everything going for them.
true but for some reason this osuth arican team is giving diff vibes.. that of total domination they came back from behind in this test match and even if it swings a little they will play jsut a good as england there bowling is so much better if it swings this time they have philander to bowl like andersos and swing both ways there side has improved imo lets give them credit for that
Lets see if SA can win at home against any of the top 3 or 4 teams' date=' they haven't beaten Australia in 40 years in SA, haven't beaten England since 99/00 in SA, couldn't beat India last time too. Weird for a team to be more successful away.[/quote'] its that damned durban :(( :mad: but i dont know man they seem to be giving good signs probably if they get to no 1 no one iwll question there ranking im sure they are gonna improve home record this season was little better ,i think its bcos of tracks they create they are ultra bowler friendly and can back fire some itmes but after htis win i think they will create more balanced tracks cos they have major advantage there