Shah Rukh Khan thread

bulbul

The only way your statement makes sense is we play one of those games where we had a phrase at the end of every sentence and see how funny it sounds. For example - KKR is worth $500mn in my dreams.
Shilpa paid 300 Plus Mil for RR and this was 5 or 6 years ago Don't you think KKR is worth $500 Mil ?

I fail to understand these Forbes Numbers. Didn't Ambani pay $110 M for Indians, then how is it valued at $80 M and on top it the value is up 20% YOY. Unless of course they are saying everybody paid a premium to acquire the teams. Now for RR I stand corrected, Shilpa paid 16.8 M for 12% stake, putting RR at 140 M in 2009. Sahara paid $330 M for Pune in 2010, this is just to emphasize what IPL Franchises are valued at. And if Pune a fresh new team could be valued at $330 M, 4 years ago, I will have to say a Marquee Franchise like KKR would be valued at 500 M today minimum, or putting it bluntly, is SRK were to sell KKR today, he will receive 500 M plus, given it is in Kolkatta and also the marquee factor attached to it.

I fail to understand these Forbes Numbers. Didn't Ambani pay $110 M for Indians, then how is it valued at $80 M and on top it the value is up 20% YOY. Unless of course they are saying everybody paid a premium to acquire the teams. Now for RR I stand corrected, Shilpa paid 16.8 M for 12% stake, putting RR at 140 M in 2009. Sahara paid $330 M for Pune in 2010, this is just to emphasize what IPL Franchises are valued at. And if Pune a fresh new team could be valued at $330 M, 4 years ago, I will have to say a Marquee Franchise like KKR would be valued at 500 M today minimum, or putting it bluntly, is SRK were to sell KKR today, he will receive 500 M plus, given it is in Kolkatta and also the marquee factor attached to it.
How about quoting a single authoritative source for any of the numbers you are casually throwing around? $500mn for an IPL franchize? The NBA, NFL and EPL team owners must be rolling over in their grave. :hysterical:

How about quoting a single authoritative source for any of the numbers you are casually throwing around? $500mn for an IPL franchize? The NBA, NFL and EPL team owners must be rolling over in their grave. :hysterical:
I just reasoned it out with you, that a nascent franchise like Pune was valued at 330 to 350 M 4 years ago. Give that would you say KKR was valued at 400 4 years ago? What do you think are the NBA, NFL Franchises valued at ? Now there is a HUGE difference like the least 5 Franchises are not much of value, it is there more to spread the game like the Memphis and Oklahoma. Now why don't you put a value -- on these Franchises? I'll give you a hint :- Take a look at what Magic was willing to pay for Clippers, should Sterling sell it. Yes Clippers, if you know what I mean.

I just reasoned it out with you, that a nascent franchise like Pune was valued at 330 to 350 M 4 years ago. Give that would you say KKR was valued at 400 4 years ago? What do you think are the NBA, NFL Franchises valued at ? Now there is a HUGE difference like the least 5 Franchises are not much of value, it is there more to spread the game like the Memphis and Oklahoma. Now why don't you put a value -- on these Franchises? I'll give you a hint :- Take a look at what Magic was willing to pay for Clippers, should Sterling sell it. Yes Clippers, if you know what I mean.
I'll ask the same question one more time - Why dont you post links to some authoritative sources, backing up all your claims?

I'll ask the same question one more time - Why dont you post links to some authoritative sources, backing up all your claims?
Arrey bhai -- thu tho mere picche haath dhoke padh gaya hai. http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/JoiRXbcOttykik23vtcXnK/Sahara-pulls-Pune-Warriors-from-IPL.html Sahara Bid 1700 Cr for Warriors in 2010. In 2010 The Dollar was around 46. So that makes it 369 M (Unless my math is wrong, and you are more than welcome to correct me). So will you say Kolkatta is at least 40 M more than Pune in 2010, or would you not ? And that is minimum and that is 4 years ago. Unless you want to sit here and argue with me about how Kolkattta could be less than Pune in value, then I will stop discussing with you anything any further :winky:

Arrey bhai -- thu tho mere picche haath dhoke padh gaya hai. http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/JoiRXbcOttykik23vtcXnK/Sahara-pulls-Pune-Warriors-from-IPL.html Sahara Bid 1700 Cr for Warriors in 2010. In 2010 The Dollar was around 46. So that makes it 369 M (Unless my math is wrong, and you are more than welcome to correct me). So will you say Kolkatta is at least 40 M more than Pune in 2010, or would you not ? And that is minimum and that is 4 years ago. Unless you want to sit here and argue with me about how Kolkattta could be less than Pune in value, then I will stop discussing with you anything any further :winky:
Couple of points to clarify - #1 - Sahara did not bid 1700 Cr for PWI in 2010, they bid 1035 cr, (which is a humongous 40% less than the amount you quoted.)
When the Sahara group bought the Pune franchise in 2010, the base price was $225m (about Rs 1035 crore by 2010 rates) for 10 years (about Rs 103 crore per year)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/588009.html #2 - Secondly (and this is the distinction i think you are failing recognize), Sahara did not agree to make the one time payment of 1035 cr for absolute ownership of the franchize in 2010. The base price was supposed to be paid in 10 installments (of 103 Cr each), over period of 10 years, keeping in mind the projected revenue inflow over that period of time. Meaning - The price of 1035 Cr was a projection of how much the franchize would be worth in 10 years time (which in 2010, will be 2020) and not a assessment of its net worth then. And finally, when the IPL boffins got together in 2012 to advertise for fresh bids for new IPL owners, they slashed the base price by a whopping 75% from the earlier figure $225 mn over 10 years to $60 million over 5 years. Meaning - their new projection of how much these franchizes will be worth on average at the end of the next 5 years - apprx $60 mn. To be clear - None of the IPL franchizes are worth anywhere near the $400-$500 mn dollar ranges that you are quoting. I would assess their current values to be much closer the figure included in the Forbes article - somewhere in the $60 - $85 mn dollar range.

But bottom line you cannot ignore the simple facts, hard cash paid for the franchises. 1) Ambani paid 111 M for Indians 2) Mallaya Paid 110 M for Drunkards 3) Shilpa Paid 140 M for RR (for 12% of her share, don't forget here -- RR paid less than half of this amount 12 months before this, which means the value went up by 100% in a year) And all of this was more than 5 years ago and in case of Mallaya and Ambani 8 years ago. And what will SRK get if he sold Kolkatta today? You telling me that he will get 80 Mil ? I will tell you what -- if you (or anybody ) for that matter anybody can convince SRK to sell KKR for anything less than 100 Mil, I can gather a group of investors to buy it :winky: All these ESPN Analysts, etc etc are mere speculators sitting on the sidelines and chatting. There got to be a good god damn reason why Ambanis and Mallayas and Shilpa's are paying the kind of money they are shelling out, and in case of Shilpa a 100% premium in 12 Months. And I am reading this differently from how you are reading

Secondly (and this is the distinction i think you are failing recognize), Sahara did not agree to make the one time payment of 1035 cr for absolute ownership of the franchize in 2010. The base price was supposed to be paid in 10 installments (of 103 Cr each), over period of 10 years, keeping in mind the projected revenue inflow over that period of time. Meaning - The price of 1035 Cr was a projection of how much the franchize would be worth in 10 years time (which in 2010, will be 2020) and not a assessment of its net worth then.
That the Franchise is worth 1035 Cr (And even this number is different from the Link I have provided) in 2010, except they are agreeing to pay in 10 installments. Or even worse, the Franchise has been leased to be Saharas' for only 10 years and at the end of 10 years Sahara was going to walk away and BCCI could re-sell Pune for what ever they want. And also -- why did you not read the paragraph below that
Recently, hours before the Chargers' termination, a Mumbai-based realty firm, the Kamla Landmarc group had offered to buy Chargers for Rs 1250 crore ($231.5 million) payable over ten years, the amount being confirmed by Ajay Vazirani, senior partner of Hariani & Co, legal advisors to the Landmarc group.
And if I am not wrong, Sunrisers rejected that deal, this despite them being deep down in the poo-poo, clearly indicating even Sunrisers thought they were worth more than 231.5 Mil.

BTW, you mocked the NBA, NFL and EPL owners, what did you think they were worth ? Forget the marquee franchises, let us talk about some wimpy ones like Phillies. What do you think it is worth ? What do you think the Clippers are worth ?

American Appraisal India Pvt. Ltd, a brand valuation and a tax and finance advisory services company, valued the IPL format at as much as $3.2 billion, ahead of its seventh edition scheduled for April this year. American Appraisal, which is part of the US-headquartered valuation consultancy with offices in 40 countries, reached out to over 300 companies and advertising agencies that are involved or affiliated with the IPL as sponsors, advertisers or consultants, as well as three IPL teams. Chennai Super Kings, the most successful IPL team, and Mumbai Indians were found to be the most valuable brands among the IPL franchises with an estimated value of $72 million each, according to the study. http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/TKdsgMQQnt7dCJF864jAyJ/IPL-continues-to-score-high-in-brand-valuation.html so you think these teams are only worth $60-70mn ?

American Appraisal India Pvt. Ltd, a brand valuation and a tax and finance advisory services company, valued the IPL format at as much as $3.2 billion, ahead of its seventh edition scheduled for April this year. American Appraisal, which is part of the US-headquartered valuation consultancy with offices in 40 countries, reached out to over 300 companies and advertising agencies that are involved or affiliated with the IPL as sponsors, advertisers or consultants, as well as three IPL teams. Chennai Super Kings, the most successful IPL team, and Mumbai Indians were found to be the most valuable brands among the IPL franchises with an estimated value of $72 million each, according to the study. http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/TKdsgMQQnt7dCJF864jAyJ/IPL-continues-to-score-high-in-brand-valuation.html so you think these teams are only worth $60-70mn ?
Owners will show less obviously to save taxes ...:winky: