Murali is a monster: Bedi

King

i would like a reply on this from Shwets' date=' Mars and Ravi...[/quote'] Sorry Gat won't cut really. It's like comparing oranges with apples. One rule was changed to accommodate several bowlers that had a flexion and the other rule change was brought about to ensure people don't misuse the unchanged law. Firstly underarm was not used since the start of 20th century. For some reason none bothered to outlaw the underarm delivery simply because none thought anyone would be insane to use underarm in the first place. The change in rule was brought about for the better of the sport.
so u r saying tht' date=' if for some physical reason, i cant raise my arms over my shoulder height, i should be allowed to continue bowling underarm because i have some defect....[/quote'] No because the existing laws do not allow that but if they did and you wanted to become a Trevor Chappell you would have as good a case. Take Chandra, with his polio (which never broke any law but the prodigious wrist movement was a result of a physical deformity as most would conform).
Take Chandra, with his polio (which never broke any law but the prodigious wrist movement was a result of a physical deformity as most would conform).
chandra didnt have the bend, though... so u do realize tht there was no politics involved hence it was easier to change the rule book and ban underarm... but it is so difficult to change the rule book and say there should be no stupid 40 degree bends because there are 3-4 countries standing behind one guy and one of them provides 80% of the money in the sport...
Sorry Gat won't cut really. It's like comparing oranges with apples. One rule was changed to accommodate several bowlers that had a flexion and the other rule change was brought about to ensure people don't misuse the unchanged law. Firstly underarm was not used since the start of 20th century. For some reason none bothered to outlaw the underarm delivery simply because none thought anyone would be insane to use underarm in the first place. The change in rule was brought about for the better of the sport.
u r not getting my point, ravi... this is not about the flexion rule which was to accomodate multiple bowlers.... this is about inability to create a law which will prevent bowlers from bending their arm by ridiculous degrees and currently it is only murali and it was always murali... it is apples to apples with underarm because law never prevented it, but it was against spirit and hence law was made to prevent....
i wont be satisfied if u or anyone else changed ur views' date=' if u did.... i will be satisfied only if his records are taken back....[/quote'] Gats , this would be my last question for the day. We shall take this up again later sometime. Dont you agree that it takes a lot of cricketing intelligence , talent , skill and stamina to take more than 1000 wickets at the intnl level ? Not everybody with a deformed arm and an action similar to that of murali's would be able to do it.
chandra didnt have the bend, though...
No he did not, but he did have a physical deformity which helped him become one of the best spinners ever much like Murali.
so u do realize tht there was no politics involved hence it was easier to change the rule book and ban underarm...
Never denied it. As Ravi already mentioned, underarm was dead for a hundred years so very unlikely to have any political support.
but it is so difficult to change the rule book and say there should be no stupid 40 degree bends because there are 3-4 countries standing behind one guy and one of them provides 80% of the money in the sport...
Go ahead and do it and it will see a can worms open up ie. people taller than 6' are not allowed to bowl, people with index finger thicker than 0.2334452 inches are not allowed to bowl etc.
Gats ' date=' Greg was vilified because his act was intentional act of cheating , where he deliberately mis-used the law , [b']to make the contest between bat and ball , uneven. There is no place for such acts in cricket.
Sorry, mm. Not correct. There was no cheating involved with that issue as it was quite legal and within the laws. Yes, many thought it wasn't in the spirit of the game but that isn't cheating. The correct procedure was adhered to as Trevor Chappell informed the umpire he was going to bowl the ball underarm who informed the batsman - just the same as when a bowler intends to change from over the wicket to around. Also, if the batsman was not so consumed with being annoyed, he could've advanced down the wicket, stuck his front foot out so the ball would pop up and then hit it for six. Some time after this incident, it was shown to be possible.

What umpire would give an lb against a batsman who was 4 or 5 yards down the track ? That's how far it was possible to advance. Hell, they get nearly crucified when giving one when the batsman is 4 feet down. Along the ground or bouncing. Didn't matter. It wasn't against the Laws of cricket, at the time.

What stops the umpire from giving a batsman out when the ball is rolled on the ground dead straight? Height is not an issue and as long as the ball strikes in line the umpire was fully justified to give it out. Either way hindsight is great but only after several days of pondering over the incidence did someone even suggested the ball could have been hit. Whether it was against the law or not but it is one of "THE" cowardly incidence in cricket ever. The names “Greg” and “Trevor” became famous forever. I have this DVD in which Trevor Chappell says every time he is speaking to someone unknown on the phone and mentions his name it seems a lot of them react with "You are the one that bowled the underarm delivery" :D

What umpire would give an lb against a batsman who was 4 or 5 yards down the track ? That's how far it was possible to advance. Hell' date=' they get nearly crucified when giving one when the batsman is 4 [b']feet down. Along the ground or bouncing. Didn't matter. It wasn't against the Laws of cricket, at the time.
Even if the batsman was not given leg before, there are no runs allowed if you pad up deliberately.

Murali considers legal action Sri Lankan bowling ace Muttiah Muralitharan is considering legal action against former India captain Bishen Bedi for defamation. More... Murali considers legal action 13/08/2007 6:41:23 PM PA Sport Sri Lankan bowling ace Muttiah Muralitharan could take legal action against former India captain Bishen Bedi for defamation, according to his manager. The ex-India bowler was recently critical of modern spinners, accusing them of chucking, with Muralitharan bearing the brunt of his outburst in which he compared the Sri Lanka star to a 'shot-putter'. Kushal Gunasekara told Indian television news channel, Headlines Today, that they had 'sent a letter of demand to Bedi'. It is not the first time Bedi has disapproved of the 35-year-old bowler's action. Gunasekara said: "Murali is hurt over Bedi's remarks. We are working with a team of lawyers. His integrity has been challenged. Restraint in speech is very important." "Bedi is indulging in character assassination. The remarks are disrespectful and unjustified." Last week, Sri Lanka Cricket's secretary, Kangadaran Madivanan leapt to the defence of his player, calling Bedi's remarks 'defamatory'. Muralitharan is the second highest Test wicket-taker in the history of the game behind Shane Warne.