Follow on or Bat?

living

I dont think we are factoring in the context for Dravid's innings. Its quite possible that India wanted to attack but with 3 down for 12 Dravid had to change the tactics from attack to time kill with Ganguly accumulating. I think given the situation he did well.

I dont think we are factoring in the context for Dravid's innings. Its quite possible that India wanted to attack but with 3 down for 12 Dravid had to change the tactics from attack to time kill with Ganguly accumulating. I think given the situation he did well.
Thanks for the laugh, and if you're serious no need to elaborate, thanks.

I knew India would bat again. What i didnt know was the pace at which they are doing in. I thought they would keep England a target of 550 in 120 overs. Looks like it will be 500 in 100 overs. Obviously the initial flurry of wickets has totally upset their plans. Still it all matters to zilch. We are winning this series and that is what matters.

Decision not to enforce the follow on was top notch : 1. Batting on 4th day is easier than 5th. 2. Kumble bowling on 5th day. 3. Panesar not bowling on 5th day. 4. England might have 4 bowlers tomorrow compared to 3 they have today. 5. Batting with the mind set of setting a 500 target is much easier than batting with mind set of chasing 180. 6. Series win is a bigger probability with batting, 7. No history of anyone chasing close to 500 runs.
The decision to bat again was extremely negative. The Aussies must laugh at how the glut of teams playing for second place on the ICC table are doing just that - playing for second - and Dravid has even failed at that with this attitude. Someone, one of England, India, Sth. Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or New Zealand has to set their sights higher - on Australia. It will not be achieved with a 'safety first' attitude. That sort of thinking - draw first and take a win if it presents itself - will not see the Aussies even challenged. Someone must step up. It could've been India, today.
Ball turning a bit now. Will be fun watching Eng bat.
Precisely. If I were the Indian captain and someone walked up to me and said " If i give a 500 run lead and 100 over s to bowl out the english on a crumbling 5th day pitch with Kumble in your team , will you take it ? " , my answer would have been -- HELL YEAH !
I'm not jumping to anything, mm. India may well win tomorrow. That wasn't my point. I wasn't saying the decision has cost a win. India had the chance to really make a statement today. They chose not to.
Statements amount to nothing in the end Donny. What matters is the result. India feel confident of bowling out the English in 100 overs. They just want to put the match out of their reach before then. There is precedence to this Donny. In Kolkata 2001 , India batted well into day 5 , despite the fact that their lead was well over 300. Ganguly had then said that , If Aus batted knowing they couldnt win the match , then that would help India go on a all out attack. That is what happened. Aus was bowled out in 2 sessions.
Precisely. If I were the Indian captain and someone walked up to me and said " If i give a 500 run lead and 100 over s to bowl out the english on a crumbling 5th day pitch with Kumble in your team , will you take it ? " , my answer would have been -- HELL YEAH !
If I were the Indian captain and someone walked up to me and said, "You dismissed the opposition early on day 4. You lead by 319 runs. There are overcast conditions forecast. You have two excellent swing bowlers and one of the best and most experienced spinners ever, in your attack. You have a very good opener and 4 of the most experienced and talented batsmen to have ever batted for India. At 7 & 8 you have 2 batsmen who scored 200 runs between them in the first innings. Would you enforce the follow on?" I'd look at him and say, "You're joking, right?" :regular_smile: