Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

Purpose of cygwin is different. It is to get a shell and the basic unix like commands to work around in windows, not to get a VM. Augments development of platform neutral apps using IDEs like eclipse and the whole Java dev env with maven etc. Cygwin is like magic, can install new components without having to search for them all over once you have the initial setup downloaded. Works like a charm if you have a windows box and desperately need a unix like env for shell, vi, grep, unix style env variables, etc.
Arey yaar, I know what Cygwin is for.. I just meant to say, some people do not count it as truely portable solution - due to intermediate layer of cygwin.dll - besides, its not always trivial to port something to cygwin. If you just want basic set of Linux like environment/commands, then MinGW, SUA or more than sufficient. If you are building/setting up some heavy duty stuff over Cygwin, then perhaps you are doing it wrong... and better do in pure Linux or pure Windows. e.g. Hadoop is primarily meant to run on Linux (when I tried it), but for some reasons, I decided to make it work on Windows, on top of cygwin.... it was definitely not trivial, and quite an ugly/patchy setup.

Philosophically though, it is fun to see a raging debate between Apple vs MS. To use an analogy, it is one thing to see a discussion on Sachin vs Bradman (or why Arthur Mold was overrated :giggle: ), atleast we (Indian disapora) have one horse in the race, here we don't. It is not like we are comparing TATA to MS here. Maybe its a good thing, or bad. Dont know. In keeping with the other thread I am too busy to analyze :flybye:
COmparison. it is going to be one thing or other COke vs pepsi North vs south liberals vs conservatives panny vs sony canon vs nikon Sharuk vs Amir ... goes on

Whoa...what's up with all the tech mumbo jumbo.....I am a common consumer and I buy apple because the product looks more slick and also now I am used to the fact that it is so much more easier to use.... Not that it is rocket science but when I had to install a Wifi conenction on windows in the past(I know they have become more user-friendly now,I had to go to network connections and enter all kinds of stuff there....maybe lame to all you geniuses but that made me feel smart)...with Mac it has always been plug and play....hope this simplifies my part of the argument.

COmparison. it is going to be one thing or other COke vs pepsi North vs south liberals vs conservatives panny vs sony canon vs nikon Sharuk vs Amir ... goes on
Kinda complicated....In India prefer Coke over Pepsi....In U.S Pepsi over Coke.....the tastes are different...don't know if anyone else feels the same

Whoa...what's up with all the tech mumbo jumbo.....I am a common consumer and I buy apple because the product looks more slick and also now I am used to the fact that it is so much more easier to use.... Not that it is rocket science but when I had to install a Wifi conenction on windows in the past(I know they have become more user-friendly now,I had to go to network connections and enter all kinds of stuff there....maybe lame to all you geniuses but that made me feel smart)...with Mac it has always been plug and play....hope this simplifies my part og the argument.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSZJXhOvBw]Did you back up your data? "Umm I don't do that" - YouTube[/ame]

Kinda complicated....In India prefer Coke over Pepsi....In U.S Pepsi over Coke.....the tastes are different...don't know if anyone else feels the same
i gave up on beverages long back. But given a choice i prefer Pepsi in US. In India i never preferred any beverages

Since I rarely used Mac/OSX ( hardly a week), I thought let me get some unbiased opinion from programmers' perspective. As expected, not everyone agrees on typical usability/stability arguments, and whether it is decidedly better tool for development/programming. http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/51670/why-do-programmers-use-or-recommend-mac-os-x So, its as simple as - tools meant for different people with different purposes & tastes... and this is just one of the thread on world wide web.

Gates: Apple may have to make a Surface-like device

Gates: Apple may have to make a Surface-like device Speaking to Charlie Rose, Bill Gates declares himself delirious with Surface, which will allegedly allow users to have the best of both a tablet and a PC -- a hybrid product Apple doesn't have and may have to follow
Thank god you didnt choked Balmer :hatsoff:
Gates described how his goal with Microsoft had been to deliver "the magic of software to people both in their work and in their home." Yes, Microsoft was magical a long, long time before Apple was magical. Rose asked that if he'd known then what he knows now, would he have vertically integrated his magic, "the way Steve Jobs did." Gates explained that it was new form factors that dictated the idea of vertical integration. Gates protected his Windows manufacturers like HP and Dell, but only a little. "I actually believe you can have the best of both worlds. You can have a rich ecosystem of manufacturers and you can have a few signature devices that show off, you know, wow, what's the difference between a tablet and a PC."
wow
Gates claimed that he'd had the idea for tablets "way too early." "There were a few things that could have been done differently to bring it (a Microsoft tablet) to critical mass," he said.
too bored to implement the ideas :omg:
How come, though, pressed Rose, Jobs was able to cross the tablet threshold and Gates wasn't? "He did some things better than I did," admitted Microsoft's co-founder. Gates referenced Jobs' timing and "the package that he had put together."
yep your watch is stopped at that time :icflove:
He insisted, though, that Surface allows you to be creative in a way that the iPad doesn't. This was a fusing of the tablet and PC category
first sell atleast a million,which dont crash once in a day atleast :((
Gates began by being circumspect, saying that the market hadn't declared this was what it wanted yet, but he said that the idea of Apple having to create a Surface-like device was "a strong possibility." "This is a seminal event," he declared.
yep this is 2012...December is coming http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57466040-71/gates-apple-may-have-to-make-a-surface-like-device/?tag=txt;related

cn_image.size.ballmer-spread.jpg
Analyzing one of American corporate history’s greatest mysteries—the lost decade of Microsoft—two-time George Polk Award winner (and V.F.’s newest contributing editor) Kurt Eichenwald traces the “astonishingly foolish management decisions” at the company that “could serve as a business-school case study on the pitfalls of success.” Relying on dozens of interviews and internal corporate records—including e-mails between executives at the company’s highest ranks—Eichenwald offers an unprecedented view of life inside Microsoft during the reign of its current chief executive, Steve Ballmer, in the August issue. Today, a single Apple product—the iPhone—generates more revenue than all of Microsoft’s wares combined.
According to Eichenwald, Microsoft had a prototype e-reader ready to go in 1998, but when the technology group presented it to Bill Gates he promptly gave it a thumbs-down, saying it wasn’t right for Microsoft. “He didn’t like the user interface, because it didn’t look like Windows,” a programmer involved in the project recalls.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/07/microsoft-downfall-emails-steve-ballmer

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, his denouncing of Enterprise market was always to come across as a rebel and bolster his image amongst the 2% who were buying their products. But that was clearly in the past. Whether Apple likes this today, or not, mobile/tablets have become integral part if Enterprise deployments. And clearly apple is the leader in this whole domain. As an end user nobody wants to carry multiple devices. Would you carry an iPhone for personal use, Blackberry for official? And if you had to pick one, and you pick iPhone, doesnt that confirm Apple as an Enterprise player already?
Interesting question which I don't think Apple will ever address at lest until Tim Cook puts his shutter down. He's just "too Apple".
Yes, the technical issue are clearly a reason. But in this day and age of 64 bit OS it is easy to fix stuff like that, if there was genuine intent.
I am not really sure what you mean by a 64-bit OS but if anything, Flash is proprietary and Adobe should fix it. Adobe tried to play "spoilsport" and Apple/Google have surged the HTML5 era. Hence, Adobe has now shelved the idea of "fixing" flash for mobile devices. The main issue of flash for phones and tablets is battery performance - it's a deal breaker [1].
H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained.
[1] http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Apple's success and profitability is indisputable.
So, is Microsoft's technology leadership in the 1990s. The only gripe I have with MS is that if they just had "dropped some acid" (innovated) they would have been the Apple today.

So' date=' is Microsoft's technology leadership in the 1990s. The only gripe I have with MS is that if they just had "dropped some acid" (innovated) they would have been the Apple today.[/quote'] I entirely agree with this post. MS could have done better. Somewhere when Google and Apple started to really rise, MS (And Yahoo, looked like a potential player in search), looked like lacking self-confidence to do what always works in the tech industry - innovate and lead.

I entirely agree with this post. MS could have done better. Somewhere when Google and Apple started to really rise' date=' MS (And Yahoo, looked like a potential player in search), looked like lacking self-confidence to do what always works in the tech industry - innovate and lead.[/quote'] Currently, I guess they have still held their own in innovation with the XBox (which itself initially had a lot of hardware issues until it came around) and Kinect. The Surface - I am yet not sure about - It will depend on Windows 8 as well as pricing. The Windows Phone is also very much uncertain but they are making enough money out of Android as of now for MS to be bothered about it. I guess Nokia would soon dissolve to be a part of Microsoft. However, MS needs to just put these anti-trust issues aside for their own good and the good of customers like me who "buy" their software.

I entirely agree with this post. MS could have done better. Somewhere when Google and Apple started to really rise' date=' MS (And Yahoo, looked like a potential player in search), [b']looked like lacking self-confidence to do what always works in the tech industry - innovate and lead.
why u are bringing this self confidence issue everywhere.. in large corporations u have enough people with talents and enough money in bank to fund for R&D. They just didnt expected Apple to comeback as they did or thought Google become a search giant..may be they are too arrogant to see the future MS didnt tried anything different mainly because they know changing softwares is near to impossible for corportaions with thousands of licences and they will earn money simplythru licences for generations ,even now MS net income for 2011 is $23 billions while Apple's its $25 billions [except for Xbox MS manufactures nothing..while Apple have to spend lot of money on manufacturing,supply chain,stores etc ]