Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

Except you made a comparison between PC and Mac in just your previous sentence. :D
I was quoting Mac users. IN an effort to try to convince themselves that they made the right choice they take a condescending look at other OS and go around insulting them. Since Linux is not prevalent windows is the one they go after. Arrogance if i should say. That is just my general observation. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjRBFUCBWM]Overly Annoying Mac Heads (Iphone, Ipod, Ipad) - YouTube[/ame]

I was quoting Mac users. IN an effort to try to convince themselves that they made the right choice they take a condescending look at other OS and go around insulting them. Since Linux is not prevalent windows is the one they go after. Arrogance if i should say. That is just my general observation.
Sure. Your general observation is going with the general narrative that windows users tell themselves so I'm not surprised. Here's the thing, pretty much everybody starts off with a win pc. The OSX is not a choice that is taken blindly without having experienced windows. It is after working on a winpc for years that someone makes the switch. So it's not like Mac users don't know what the other side lives like, we've been there. This is why we know we did the right thing. In fact, its the windows users who have no clue what they are missing out on. Hence if there is any ignorance around it's with the Windows side.

Sure. Your general observation is going with the general narrative that windows users tell themselves so I'm not surprised. Here's the thing, pretty much everybody starts off with a win pc. The OSX is not a choice that is taken blindly without having experienced windows. It is after working on a winpc for years that someone makes the switch. So it's not like Mac users don't know what the other side lives like, we've been there. This is why we know we did the right thing. In fact, its the windows users who have no clue what they are missing out on. Hence if there is any ignorance around it's with the Windows side.
I have dabbled a bit on Mac.. though not mine. But i certainly don't miss anything. Not like i cannot afford. I can afford. But i honestly think pricing is total ripoff. If they can bring down the price probably i will considerbuying it . If at all i get one i will look for building one rather than buying one. At this point not necessary for my work. Also Some of my proprietary softwares from my company don't run on Mac. Not worth investing in a machine just for browsing. Also as i mentioned i work mainly on a desktop. For the price of macbook pro i can buy a much more powerful desktop including monitor with home theater sound. .

^ dabbling isn't close to the same thing as really using one.
Okay talk about iphone .. which i use regularly.. i never take a dig at android phone owners like apple fanboys. Why do they do that? So fundamentally this cult mentality has seeped through some of the apple user's minds. They somehow devote their life to defending anything and everything apple make. I think it is the quality of Apple company itself. Ellen degeneres casually made a joke about iphone. That's it.. they wanted her to apologize .. and she even did lol..

It is not one way traffic, as you may like to believe. http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/51670/why-do-programmers-use-or-recommend-mac-os-x http://dywypi.org/2012/02/back-on-linux.html https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation

Okay talk about iphone .. which i use regularly.. i never take a dig at android phone owners like apple fanboys. Why do they do that? So fundamentally this cult mentality has seeped through some of the apple user's minds. They somehow devote their life to defending anything and everything apple make. I think it is the quality of Apple company itself. Ellen degeneres casually made a joke about iphone. That's it.. they wanted her to apologize .. and she even did lol..
How am I supposed to respond to this? Am I bringing up extraneous things about Windows, and there are literally hundreds of them, into this discussion? There's lots of crazy things that Microsoft has done. I am not discussing the company or their practices or their CEOs or their fans. This is simply about OSX and Windows. Here's how to remove every other aspect and get to the core of the issue - If you were a Professor and the final year project was to make an OS. and you divided the class in two teams of students and one of them turned in OSX and the other Windows (pick a version, any version). Which one would you score more if you were scoring on usability, stability and security? Windows, right? :D

How am I supposed to respond to this? Am I bringing up extraneous things about Windows, and there are literally hundreds of them, into this discussion? There's lots of crazy things that Microsoft has done. I am not discussing the company or their practices or their CEOs or their fans. This is simply about OSX and Windows. Here's how to remove every other aspect and get to the core of the issue - If you were a Professor and the final year project was to make an OS. and you divided the class in two teams of students and one of them turned in OSX and the other Windows (pick a version, any version). Which one would you score more if you were scoring on usability, stability and security? Windows, right? :D
I would say - you cheated. :D

Is the professor into games a lot? :cantstop:

How about affordability, software compatibility and marks for originality (as opposed to building off UNIX)? For me Windows fails in one main category - Security.

How about affordability, software compatibility and marks for originality (as opposed to building off UNIX)? For me Windows fails in one main category - Security.
Affordability won't come into the academic discussion so let's step out of that... By affordability you are speaking of the cost of the hardware, of course. The OSX Lion upgrade on the other hand, was $30. This is the norm. That's one of the benefits of having a well made OS, your OS undergoes upgrades that can go seamlessly into your existing system and not major overhauls that involve going back to the drawingboard for the engineers and costly buyins for existing customers. The Windows 7 upgrade cost (Home) was $120! OSX Lion Upgrade = $30 Windows 7 Upgrade = $120 Also, Windows upgrades most often involve a hardware upgrading cost for the user. Software Compatibility, Windows takes this one. And originality? As a paying customer should I care if the OS in my computer was all original or if it was built on another existing OS? Especially when the existing OS in question is stable and secure and the original OS comes the way Windows comes.

Affordability won't come into the academic discussion so let's step out of that...
Ofc it does. When you look at a desktop product, and quite possibly targeted towards consumers, how much it costs should be a factor in evaluating products/projects, along with the others you mentioned.
And originality? As a paying customer should I care if the OS in my computer was all original or if it was built on another existing OS? Especially when the existing OS in question is stable and secure and the original OS comes the way Windows comes.
We are not talking a paying customer, as a criteria for evaluating two products/projects in an academic setting as you laid it out. If you just build on top of something as opposed to build your own, which team should get more credit?

Affordability won't come into the academic discussion so let's step out of that... By affordability you are speaking of the cost of the hardware, of course. The OSX Lion upgrade on the other hand, was $30. This is the norm. That's one of the benefits of having a well made OS, your OS undergoes upgrades that can go seamlessly into your existing system and not major overhauls that involve going back to the drawingboard for the engineers and costly buyins for existing customers. The Windows 7 upgrade cost (Home) was $120! OSX Lion Upgrade = $30 Windows 7 Upgrade = $120 Also, Windows upgrades most often involve a hardware upgrading cost for the user. Software Compatibility, Windows takes this one. And originality? As a paying customer should I care if the OS in my computer was all original or if it was built on another existing OS? Especially when the existing OS in question is stable and secure and the original OS comes the way Windows comes.
stable and secure.. mine are both :) Haven't restarted one of my desktop for 2 years.

Ofc it does. When you look at a desktop product' date=' and quite possibly targeted towards consumers, how much it costs should be a factor in evaluating products/projects, along with the others you mentioned.[/quote'] No, it doesn't. The cost of the product is a sales and marketing decision, quite apart from the OS development process. And even then, the costs are there in my previous post for you to see. OS X Lion Upgrade = $30 Windows 7 Upgrade (Home) = $120 That's four times the cost for something that will not only require hardware upgrades for most home users but add to that the fact that the product itself is not even close to being good enough as the OSX makes it ridiculous. Yes, the hypothetical kids who turned in the OSX would get expelled and never complete their graduation.

No, it doesn't. The cost of the product is a sales and marketing decision, quite apart from the OS development process. And even then, the costs are there in my previous post for you to see. OS X Lion Upgrade = $30 Windows 7 Upgrade (Home) = $120 That's four times the cost for something that will not only require hardware upgrades for most home users but add to that the fact that the product itself is not even close to being good enough as the OSX makes it ridiculous. Yes, the hypothetical kids who turned in the OSX would get expelled and never complete their graduation.
for $120 i got 3 licenses.. i could upgrade 3 machines.. (legally). you could upgrade few more (illegally)

OS X Lion Upgrade = $30 Windows 7 Upgrade (Home) = $120 .
Apples and Oranges. The OS X upgrade is far cheaper because Apple makes money out of the hardware. You are comparing that with the retail version of Windows 7 which is a standalone product. The OS x upgrade should be compared with the OEM upgrade of Windows which comes with the laptop and costs 15-20$, even free in some cases when the next version of windows is round the corner and manufactures given a free upgrade when its released. People who bought Windows XP pre loaded PCs in 2006-07 time frame got free upgrade of Vista when it released

Apples and Oranges. The OS X upgrade is far cheaper because Apple makes money out of the hardware. You are comparing that with the retail version of Windows 7 which is a standalone product. The OS x upgrade should be compared with the OEM upgrade of Windows which comes with the laptop and costs 15-20$.
No. I am quoting the Windows 7 Upgrade price. The full package price is $200. confer link above.