Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

How does HP make it difficult to install Linux? I have installed it on HP machines without any issues. The network cards are mostly Broadcomm and you get display drivers for ATI. The only difference are since these are proprietary you cannot install them from APT and have to go through the Additional Software options. As far as battery goes, yes Linux does consume more power than Windows on a PC, but it would also consume more power on a Mac if you happened to install it on one. With newer versions of Ubuntu, I find the gap to be decreasing.
Linux doesn't have the same performance on HP versus a Dell laptop, that's the point as you mention it. Ubuntu on a Mac, Why-o-why? :hmmmm2:

MS Market cap - $250 billions Apple market cap - $541 billions
Apple makes most of its money from its iOS devices while windows and Office are the golden goose of Microsoft. Im sure Microsoft makes more money from Windows than Apple does from Mac (even though Apple gets hardware profits as well which Microsoft doesnt have) Also, Market cap depends on investor sentiment and Apple doing well in a rising sector reflects on its share value whereas the Microsoft's profits come from more saturated sectors which dont have possibility of exponential growth in the future.

Apple makes most of its money from its iOS devices while windows and Office are the golden goose of Microsoft. Im sure Microsoft makes more money from Windows than Apple does from Mac (even though Apple gets hardware profits as well which Microsoft doesnt have) Also, Market cap depends on investor sentiment and Apple doing well in a rising sector reflects on its share value whereas the Microsoft's profits come from more saturated sectors which dont have possibility of exponential growth in the future.
thats the point... Apple is rising ..MS is saturated [no offense if u are MS employee , i have nothing to do with Apple except for owning a iPad2 ] edit : Apple didnt rised automatically..they done Innovations [to use proper words improved whatever existing in market and made it work without much glitches] MS simply sat on golden goose without putting much of efforts

My gripe with mac users is they complain (not you guys) too much anytime a new software or hardware is released and it is not compatible with mac. They go around and give 1 star to the product on Amazon just because it is not compatible. That really pisses me off.

thats the point... Apple is rising ..MS is saturated [no offense if u are MS employee ' date= i have nothing to do with Apple except for owning a iPad2 ] edit : Apple didnt rised automatically..they done Innovationas [to use peoper words improved whatever existing in market and made it work without much glitches] MS simply sat on golden goose without putting much of efforts
Also, funny people compare OS with a hardware. :giggle:

My gripe with mac users is they complain (not you guys) too much anytime a new software or hardware is released and it is not compatible with mac. They go around and give 1 star to the product on Amazon just because it is not compatible. That really pisses me off.
Examples? These may be one of a kind.

Not one of a kind. I have come across several reviews of various products where the users constantly whine about not being compatible with mac.
Have you used a Mac? Here's what happens with software vendors. They create a software and then port it to a Mac and sell it. Now, the "port" is very bad and it leads the software to crash continuously. Are you talking about these issues or that the software wasn't made for a Mac?

Have you used a Mac? Here's what happens with software vendors. They create a software and then port it to a Mac and sell it. Now' date=' the "port" is very bad and it leads the software to crash continuously. Are you talking about these issues or [b']that the software wasn't made for a Mac?
This

MS simply sat on golden goose without putting much of efforts
Not really. They did as much changes to Windows and Office as they could inside a specific framework. Given their enterprise clientele, MSFT cant make radical changes to their golden goose, any change that breaks backward compatibility meets with a lot of resistance from enterprise users. MSFT failed in few of their other ventures in the rising space(tablets, social networking, search engines, phones have not done that well) and hence the justified lower valuation. But they have done pretty well in their main money making ventures.

Then why is there even a debate about 'best/better' machine? For some 'experience' may mean - value for money - and full control over what you (supposed to) own. People have written great s/w without leaving 'vi' on a 386. and such people will continue creating great things regardless of whether its mac, linux... or even windows.
Because I can give you numerous examples of products where similar ability in different brands is outmatched by better user experience. And no user experience doesn't mean feeling happy about paying less. That way a haier lcd owner can claim to have a better user experience than a bravia owner.

thats the point... Apple is rising ..MS is saturated [no offense if u are MS employee ' date= i have nothing to do with Apple except for owning a iPad2 ] edit : Apple didnt rised automatically..they done Innovations [to use proper words improved whatever existing in market and made it work without much glitches] MS simply sat on golden goose without putting much of efforts
That is the story of virtually every business. Google made a fortune out of PPC, it was invented by someone else and was first adapted by Yahoo, long before Google adapted it. Do you think they shared their fortune with the man who invented it? They just sat on the golden goose, in your language. Apple made a fortune out of touch screen phones. Do you think they went looking for the man who invented it? When Bill Gates said he wanted to see a computer in every household, everyone laughed at him. But through MS he realized that dream. Windows crated and cultivated the technology revolution in the 90s, building the very foundation of a platform that companies like Apple stand on today. Do you know when the first Mac came in, it was so complex, Apple could not market it. Years later, when the common men became tech-savvy using MS's simple UI that more complex machines started finding it possible to create a reasonably large market for themselves. So, again, do not belittle MS's role in the technology revolution in the 90s.

Because I can give you numerous examples of products where similar ability in different brands is outmatched by better user experience. And no user experience doesn't mean feeling happy about paying less. That way a haier lcd owner can claim to have a better user experience than a bravia owner.
value for money doesn't mean the product does not provide good user experience. At the end of the day it is upto individual to decide if it is worth investing that much money in a product that could become obsolete in a couple of years. Some buy a rock solid desktop or laptop or mac and be happy with 5 or 6 years. Some buy value for money machines and enjoy until they see next generation machines. I bought a thinkpad 5 or 6 years back. Those days 2 gb RAM, intel dual core was a high end laptop configurations.. I paid a lot of money for that. It still runs great. probably the best business laptop i have ever worked on. But if you compare with current laptops configuration is obsolete. So i decided from that point.. if at all i buy a laptop i would not pay a penny over 700$. 7 months back i bought the following configuration for 750$ for my friend in India How? I had discover card discount of 10% for purchase, then Dell offered a gift card promotion of for every 400$ gift card 75$ gift card, plus Dell offered another coupon too.. Can i get a machine for that price.. Dell XPS 17 1 225-2659 XPS 17 1 317-8383 2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz) 1 317-6204 8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM 1 331-1415 Standard Internal Keyboard - English 1 421-3874 Camera Software 2.X, Factory Install 1 421-3642 Basic Stage 1 320-2538 17.3in FHD WLED AG (1920x1080) 1 320-1983 NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus 1 320-1987 Intel Wireless Display Software 1 342-2251 1.0TB 500GB 7.2k HDD x 2 1 318-0428 Elemental Silver Aluminum 1 318-0151 Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD) 330-6222