Well Done Michael Phelps - The Greatest Olympian

Cricketics

Michael Phelps has now won 19m edals - 15 gold at the #olympics in addition to 2 bronze and 2 silver. Easily the greatest Olympiad of all time.. As of today, only 30 odd countries have more medals than the Baltimore Butterfly Micheal Phelps Cricketics, He's called Baltimiore Butterfuly!

If one considers medal count as a criteria' date= he is right up there..
I see your point. e.g. if there were as many events in Tennis - like 1-3-5 setter backhand only tennis, 1-3-5 setter forehand tennis, and numerous other combinations.. then perhaps Federer would have won at least 10-15 medals...and same is with many other sports. One of the greatest swimmer - yes. undoubtedly greatest olympian - No. apples vs oranges vs melons vs berries vs grapes....

No he is not greatest olympian. He is in a sport were they have about 50 different ways to cover the same distance. 100m freestyle, butterfly, breasroke etc etc. So many previous swimmers have domianted as well, so clearly if good swimmer can do all these and dominate like spitz and thorpe. Also it is non competitive sport where so many countries dont even compete. The greatest is Carl Lewis. Him winning long jump in 3 straight olympics is amazing. Plus 2 staright 100m gold is still something no one else has done Well done phelps you are amzing and best swimmer ever. But not best olympian ever

No he is not greatest olympian. He is in a sport were they have about 50 different ways to cover the same distance. 100m freestyle, butterfly, breasroke etc etc. So many previous swimmers have domianted as well, so clearly if good swimmer can do all these and dominate like spitz and thorpe. Also it is non competitive sport where so many countries dont even compete. The greatest is Carl Lewis. Him winning long jump in 3 straight olympics is amazing. Plus 2 staright 100m gold is still something no one else has done Well done phelps you are amzing and best swimmer ever. But not best olympian ever
I have seen people trivialize an argument, a method, a process but you sir have trivialized a complete sport! :haha: Here's my problem with Tennis , there are too many ways to hit the same ball - forehand, backhand, smash

I have seen people trivialize an argument, a method, a process but you sir have trivialized a complete sport! :haha: Here's my problem with Tennis , there are too many ways to hit the same ball - forehand, backhand, smash
And you win only one match in tennis inspite of all that.. Its like having running backwards,sideways,on one leg, etc..

And you win only one match in tennis inspite of all that.. Its like having running backwards,sideways,on one leg, etc..
Like 100m, 200m, 400m , relay NO? I mean I'm quite OK to not call him greatest but it's not Michael Phelps fault that he chose a sport like that. 19 medals in whatever sport you are is no mean feat.

Like 100m' date=' 200m, 400m , relay NO? I mean I'm quite OK to not call him greatest but it's not Michael Phelps fault that he chose a sport like that. 19 medals in whatever sport you are is no mean feat.[/quote'] How can I demean his feat? Its great whatever he has accomplished. He just isn't the greatest Olympian according to me. And the 100,200,400 relay disciplines are there in swimming as well.Atleast the variation in distance tests your endurance in different ways. But whats this back stroke,breaststroke,butterfly? You are covering the same distance but with different styles? Pick your style and swim.