Which current sportsperson transcends all boundaries in terms of popularity?

jairamesh

Which current sportsperson transcends all boundaries in terms of popularity?  

1. 1.

• Tiger Woods
    • Floyd Mayweather
    • Manny Pacquaio
    • Rafael Nadal
    • Roger Federer
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi
    • Usain Bolt
    • Serena Williams
    • Maria Sharapova

Not picking any Soccer or Tennis players because the games are popular enough that there will always be enough icons...I would say Micheal Phelps or Bolt because if not for them,no one would care about their respective sports. They are to Swimming and Athletics respectively as to what Tiger woods was to golf...but now Tiger woods is yesterday;s news...so I am debating Phelps and Bolt...since Phelps option is not here...I will go with Bolt. If.....Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquio make this list....why not Brock Lesnar?Not the WWF Lesnar but the UFC one?Not much difference between Pro-Boxing and MMA in terms of being Tamasha sports in the league of IPL.

Fedex for me (from the list). However, I think Tiger Woods might be a clear winner here. But if you talk about popularity transcending through *all* boundaries (non-sport followers) - my mother's comment should weigh heavily here - " wo dono kaali ladkiyon/behnon ka kya chal raha hai iss baar". (referring to Serena/Venus) She doesn't follow sport beyond the forced upon breaking news headlines by Indian media.
This is what I was getting at. My dad doesn't spare a second for sports on television including cricket, but beyond Tendulkar, he is pretty aware off who Usian Bolt is before these Olympics, primarily from the hype his performances generated in Beijing. He is also well aware of the likes of Mike Tyson and Maradona. Likes of Phelps or Kobe Bryant would struggle to capture imagination of fringe followers of sports, because swimming or basketball isn't really that popular. Though Michael Jordan certainly did!

Not picking any Soccer or Tennis players because the games are popular enough that there will always be enough icons...I would say Micheal Phelps or Bolt because if not for them,no one would care about their respective sports. They are to Swimming and Athletics respectively as to what Tiger woods was to golf...but now Tiger woods is yesterday;s news...so I am debating Phelps and Bolt...since Phelps option is not here...I will go with Bolt. If.....Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquio make this list....why not Brock Lesnar?Not the WWF Lesnar but the UFC one?Not much difference between Pro-Boxing and MMA in terms of being Tamasha sports in the league of IPL.
I had to google "UFC"! to find out what it even was. :giggle: