Its the decision to bowl first...

Ram

Toss??? If we cant chase 288 against this POMMY team then what can we do? On a pitch where COOK and Strauss scored a 100 each we struggled! I am glad we chose to field first . Atleast the game lasted the distance. How much worse would it have been to have poms chase u down in 20 overs? When u have the Ganguly's around .... you basically are saying... Rasgullah khane ka.Koi practice karne ko bole to usko joota dikhane ka ....

so we bring sehwag back then? for who?
Not much will happen during this series. I just hope they at least use Uthappa at no.3 as both Tendulkar and Ganguly will not want to bat anywhere but at the top. Uthappa may not score consistently but at least chip in with some quick runs at the top. Another failure for Tendulkar or Ganguly will result in both anchoring and not taking on England bowling. That will not help the team.
Not much will happen during this series. I just hope they at least use Uthappa at no.3 as both Tendulkar and Ganguly will not want to bat anywhere but at the top. Uthappa may not score consistently but at least chip in with some quick runs at the top. Another failure for Tendulkar or Ganguly will result in both anchoring and not taking on England bowling. That will not help the team.
Isnt this the problem though? These guys play for self! They are so quick to anchor. Either they have the ability to take charge (and this is the poms remember not lanka or Aus bowling). or they are past it. Come on guys make a decision!

It may sound harsh but the likes of Ganguly, Rahul and Tendulkar can't quite achieve much in ODI cricket anymore. Let the likes of Karthik and Uthappa bat at the top of the order. In test cricket you absolutely need the quality, patience and grit of Tendulkar, Rahul and Ganguly but ODIs India should be able to manage without these guys. Even if these guys play it isn't like India is winning every game. I'm very much looking forward to the Twenty20 now. I don't see what the likes of Tendulkar, Ganguly and Rahul are going to achieve in ODIs. I know Tendulkar did well in the ODI series against South Africa and those pitches did require quality and experience to survive. Usually the pitches in ODIs don't require patience and quality but just a non stop shot making is all that is required to put runs on board. India is seriously crippled at the top of the order for some big hitting batters. I can't see that change in this ODI series and hopefully things do change in future.

It may sound harsh but the likes of Ganguly, Rahul and Tendulkar can't quite achieve much in ODI cricket anymore. Let the likes of Karthik and Uthappa bat at the top of the order. In test cricket you absolutely need the quality, patience and grit of Tendulkar, Rahul and Ganguly but ODIs India should be able to manage without these guys. Even if these guys play it isn't like India is winning every game. I'm very much looking forward to the Twenty20 now. I don't see what the likes of Tendulkar, Ganguly and Rahul are going to achieve in ODIs. I know Tendulkar did well in the ODI series against South Africa and those pitches did require quality and experience to survive. Usually the pitches in ODIs don't require patience and quality but just a non stop shot making is all that is required to put runs on board. India is seriously crippled at the top of the order for some big hitting batters. I can't see that change in this ODI series and hopefully things do change in future.
I agree. The holy trinity needs to retire from ODIs unless all ODI tracks we play on are difficult ones to bat on because on such tracks, their class will outshine the opposing team's batsmen. However, on flat tracks(on which 99% of ODIs are played), more often that not, they will be outscored by younger and fitter batsmen.
I agree. The holy trinity needs to retire from ODIs unless all ODI tracks we play on are difficult ones to bat on because on such tracks' date=' their class will outshine the opposing team's batsmen.[b'] However, on flat tracks(on which 99% of ODIs are played), more often that not, they will be outscored by younger and fitter batsmen.[/quote] Very well said!

i think..its the fault of the captain... he should brief his both openers to go for an all out attack... Dravid should be calling the shots..... he must put the pride of india ahead of the egos of sachin and Ganguly... if these two players can not play shots then they must have enough self respect to vacate the place for youngsters..who will gain invaluable experience by playing against some international sides... its high time that Dravid shows these two the ultimatum... perform or perish should be the Mantra...

i think..its the fault of the captain... he should brief his both openers to go for an all out attack... Dravid should be calling the shots..... he must put the pride of india ahead of the egos of sachin and Ganguly... if these two players can not play shots then they must have enough self respect to vacate the place for youngsters..who will gain invaluable experience by playing against some international sides... its high time that Dravid shows these two the ultimatum... perform or perish should be the Mantra...
The last time someone asked a player to put the pride of India ahead of a crappy players ego there were so many effigies burnt that it was now considered a new source of global warming. This cant work in India. Here we only worry about individual egos!