Any gamers around ??

jf1gp_1

Modern Warfare 'set for record' The widely-anticipated video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has been tipped to be the biggest selling video game in history. Hundreds of gamers gathered at shops around the world ahead of its release at 00:00 GMT. Retailer HMV has predicted more than 1m UK sales in the first week, 20% more than previous record holder Grand Theft Auto 4 (GTA4). Online shop Amazon said the pre-order sales were 50% higher than GTA4. Play.com say that in the run up to launch it was getting more than 150 pre-orders per minute. The publishers of Modern Warfare 2, Activision, are cautiously predicting total sales of 3m across the UK whilst some analysts believe it could sell 10m copies globally in the run up to Christmas. HMV stores in the UK opened at midnight to allow eager gamers to get their hands on the game as soon as possible. crowds at Modern Warfare launch in London Some gamers compared the London launch to a film premiere. "We estimate that the game will exceed 1m UK sales in its first week, which would be a new record," said HMV spokesperson Gennaro Castaldo. The firm also confirmed that its stock of the collectors edition, Modern Warfare 2: Prestige, sold out online pre-release. "Because people haven't been able to play the game beforehand, it's really built their anticipation," said Neil Ashurst from retailer Game. "I wonder how many people have taken the day off work today to play it." Some people had managed to get their hands on the game early after shops broke the sales embargo. Facebook group Robert Kotick, CEO of Activision, described it as "one of the largest entertainment launches of any media of all time". Analysts believe the game could sell as many as 5m units globally on its first day. It is the sixth instalment in the Call of Duty series and gives players the chance to be a member of a military strike force that takes on a Russian ultra-nationalist terrorist group. We're already seeing it bully other name-brand competitors into pushing their release dates back rather than risk going head-to-head in the same launch window Scott Steinberg Digital trends Send us your comments It sees the combat team travelling to Russia, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Brazil and into orbit, in an attempt to thwart the terrorists. The game has drawn criticism because one section, prefaced by a warning screen, involves a player joining a massacre of civilians at an airport. Labour MP Keith Vaz condemned the game saying he was "absolutely shocked" by its violence. In response, publisher Activision said the scene was "not representative of overall experience". Meanwhile, Labour MP Tom Watson has set up a Facebook group to defend games such as Call of Duty from their critics. Price war The first Modern Warfare debuted in 2007 and sold more than 12 million copies. The game won praise for its uncompromising story line and attention to detail. Versions for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC have gone on sale. Screenshot from Call of Duty,Activision MPs row over Modern Warfare In the UK, a launch event was held at a cinema in London's Leicester Square, more usually the setting for film premieres. Amazon said its pre-order sales for Modern Warfare 2 had been 50% higher than for Grand Theft Auto 4 - which until now had been the most successful release ever. "We're already seeing it bully other name-brand competitors into pushing their release dates back rather than risk going head-to-head in the same launch window," said Scott Steinberg, of game and gadget website Digital Trends. Since the Call of Duty franchise started in 2003, more than 28 million copies of the game's various incarnations have been sold. In the UK, the console versions of the game are selling for about £54. The PC version is priced at about £35. However, supermarkets and retailers have been advertising it a steep discount. Sainsbury's and Tesco are expected to offer it for about £26. Online stores have also cut the price of the title. A limited edition of the game, called the Veteran Package, is also available for £99. While many gamers eagerly awaited its release, fans of Modern Warfare have expressed disappointment that the PC version will lack some of the tools and tweaks available in earlier editions.# http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8351370.stm

i doubt it`ll beat MW1`s sales record. The developers have taken out the option of dedicated servers from MW2. Meaning no country can host its own server for multiplayer if i`m not wrong This thing pissed off a lot of MW fans because multiplayer has always been the real deal in CoD
Maybe if PC gamers didn't pirate MW1, they would have let that option in. But now, with no dedicated servers, Pirates cannot play online and would have to buy the game if they want to pay it online. MW1 sold something around 14 million with more than half on the xbox 360 and a paltry 2 million or so on the PC. The dev. said that more than 60% playing on PC pirated that game. So i dont think PC users who are not going to buy it due to lack of dedicated server matter much because some people who would have pirated that game would buy it now. I will pick it up on Friday. I still play MW1 but somehow i am not that excited for this game as i was for Halo or Gears of war. Its going to break all the records (Halo 3 1st day sales, GTA4 1st day sales) and will easily end up selling much more than the first.

How is Gear of war 2 ? i played 1st but got rid of 360 before 2nd came out
Gears is my favorite game so obviously my impressions are biased. I think it’s the best game ever esp the horde mode. Compare to GOW 1, the single player is bigger (12~13 hours long), has more variety in weapons, enemies and levels (You will be stuck inside a giant worm and have to cut its hearts out to kill it). The sense of scale in enormous, in one fight, you will encounter about 100 locusts, a few brumaks, 2~3 spiders, a few reavers all at the same time. You won’t be engaging with all of them (as you are in a vehicle and you are helped by a few other squads). It also has a Good vehicle section and you get to ride reavers and Brumak for a bit. Basically bigger, better and more variety than the 1st but loses personal touch of the 1st. Multiplayer wise, it introduces one of the best online mode; the horde mode in which you and 4 other co-op partners take on wave after wave of enemies. But normal MP is broken. I don’t play it anymore because the matchmaking takes 5 minutes to find a game and all the games are laggy. I just play with bots. Biggest disappointment in the last few years.

It'll beat Halo 3's launch sales record, but yeah might not sell more than MW1. There's too many other good games coming out (Uncharted 2 on PS3, DBZ : Raging Blast on X360/PS3, and M.A.G and BF BC 2 are other FPS's looking just as good as MW2 which will released early next year). I'll probably be buying Mw2 tomorrow..either that or DBZ RB :P

It'll beat Halo 3's launch sales record, but yeah might not sell more than MW1. There's too many other good games coming out (Uncharted 2 on PS3, DBZ : Raging Blast on X360/PS3, and M.A.G and BF BC 2 are other FPS's looking just as good as MW2 which will released early next year). I'll probably be buying Mw2 tomorrow..either that or DBZ RB :P
Halo did 2.4 million 1st day. GTA 4 did something around 3 million (but that's on 360 and PS3) while COD 4 did something like 300,000. Now, COD 4 MW 2 is expected to do more than 3 million 1st day (which is 10 times more than last COD 4), so i fully expect MW 2 to not only outsell MW 1 but come close to MW 1 numbers by the end of this year. When MW 1 launched ,Halo 3 came out 50 days before and GTA 4 3 months after, yet it did great numbers. Something like Uncharted(and others) is not that much of a threat, considering that uncharted cannot even compete with GOW or Resident evil numbers. The other games you mentioned are a few steps behind uncharted in terms of brand value. All year round, publishers have delayed their game to stay clear of MW 2. This is going to be the biggest launch in entertainment history (Going to beat 1st day sales of Harry potter, Halo 3 and GTA 4).