Am opening a can o' worms - Raakhee style

Brainfade

First the background to this thought: So, here I was watching "Indian Idol Rubaroo" with my father-in-law who is visiting from India. There's this girl Ankita among the 4 finalists. They interview this kid in the audience who is obviously head-over-heels in love with Ankita. He has her pictures in his room, he loves her smile and confidence and voice. Compere asks him if he wants to ask her anything. He asks "Ankita, do you have a boyfriend?" Ankita blushes and buries her face in her hands. And then some incoherent conversation takes place; then, out of the blue, kid says "so can I be your brother?" Someone brings out a Raakhee, and Ankita ties it around kid's wrist ... and more emotional moments follow. I am thinking: What the heck is going on? 5 minutes ago, kid would've given anything to get fresh with this girl, and now he's her brother? That was just disgusting. Now, the thought itself: My mind raced back to my days as a teenager in India, and this kind of stuff happened a lot. Raakhee (other than between siblings or cousins) seemed to serve one of 3 purposes: (a) To give the guy and a girl the freedom to hang out without people raising eyebrows. In one instance this "Raakhee couple" ended up getting married. (B) The girl subtly giving an obviously guy-in-pursuit the message without hurting his feelings - "Ya know, you're a nice guy, but not my type. But I'd still like to hang out with you, so here's a Raakhee. Buy me the annual gift and I'll tie the annual thread. And we can still be friends." This gave her the security that he would never "think of her in that way." © The guy proposing that he be her brother, so she is convinced that he is not a "Deewana." That way, he gets her to hang out with him with the eternal hope that the above scenario (a) may just happen. Maybe I am just different, but I honestly never felt "brotherly love" for anyone besides my own sister (or cousins that I grew up with). If there was a nice girl in college or in the neighborhood, she was fair game for "thinking about in that way." What say, y'all? PS: Hope I don't hit an emotional nerve here with people who consider Raakee a sacred thread.

d) In Engineering college it served the purpose of getting an entry inside GH(Girls Hostel) and to have your sister put in a good word for you. Some guys, I must say, used to take this rakhee brothership really seriously. There was this colleague of mine who after being tied rakhee by a batchmate came to the college canteen, sat down with a heavy puff of breath and says, "Aaj se meri jimmedari double ho gayi hai". Chewtiyas that we were, we ensured to line maaro after the girl right infront of him :D

Maybe I am just different, but I honestly never felt "brotherly love" for anyone besides my own sister (or cousins that I grew up with).
Ditto. Unless ofcourse they were my guy/girl friends' siblings. In that case i saw them as my own brother/sister. And apart from that , when it comes to high-school/coll experiences , Rakhee is one big piece of hypocrisy to be honest.

The days before Rakhshabandhan used to be real fun.We would walk around with a bunch of rakhees tucked into the belt...hanging out like guns.....:D It was fun .......guys are so scared of this piece of thread......:P
More proof that girls/ladies used Rakhees just to piss off guys. No sisterly love here. :tounge_smile:

True for me atleast! Never had brotherly love for non-brothers!:D
:haha: I really admire/respect Women, but i fear girls. I hope people see the distinction. P.S - The women/girls classification has got nothing to do with their age BTW.

One my best friends who are married now, were rakhee brother sisters before that? it was one of those spur of the moment thing but once they started to understands each other, the fell in love so just because there was this rakhee thing in between, it never stopped them from getting married